The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

1 hour ago, Molotov said:

I’m prefer to see Watt move on and we use the wages for a younger hungrier striker capable of 15 goals a season. 
Watt’s goal to game stats throughout his career are not very impressive. 
Seems like a popular guy around the squad but we desperately need a regular goal scorer.

I'm not sold on Watt. But there is now way we get a younger hungrier 15 goal per season striker for the same same money. 

1 hour ago, Hendo said:

I'm really not sold on Watt. Other than a very good goal against Livi, not sure he's done enough to prove he'll be a real asset. Lacks consistency and his career to date has been more miss than hit.

For the reported wages he is on I would rather trust Robinson and his team to go out and find a striker that could possibly hit double digits next season. Watt is a good player but he’s not worth breaking the budget for.  By all accounts Brophy was on a healthy weekly wage too so we should be able to go and offer a respectable salary to someone either from England or abroad. 

I know he’s just won Young Player of the Year, but Grieve is not the guy. Don’t mind him coming on late in games to stretch a tiring defence but unfortunately he’s just not got the quality to score 10+ goals a season in this league. 

If clubs are willing to pay what O'Hara, Baccus and Strain are actually worth then we're in no position to be turnig down any offers.

I'm hoping we don't do our usual and just bend over backwards at whatever the first offer is.

I'd imagine we'd be looking for roughly £750/1million for Strain and £500-750k each for Baccus and O'Hara.

Of the 3 I have mentioned, I'd be most comfortable losing Baccus.

16 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

I think losing Main Baccus and the likes of O’Hara would be a disaster for next season.

I get that they might bring in some decent cash in regards to O’Hara and Baccus. But very difficult to replace in my opinion.

Problem is, losing them for a fee is literally the business model. The reason we can have players like that is we've banked on being able to sell them. If we don't sell them (or at least one of them) then we'll end back with unsellable duds on one-year deals.

1 hour ago, AW saint said:

This looks like a pre season of change. We could get bids in for O'Hara, Baccus or strain along with players leaving. 

Lots of scope to improve the squad.

One person I hope we tie down soon is Robbo. 

Wonder also if Tait will be let go and Olusanya. 

For whatever reason, Olunsanya was not playing as regular as I expected at Arbroath. Could it have been tactical, lack of fitness or injury? Doesn't fill me with much hope he will be around for next season.

3 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Problem is, losing them for a fee is literally the business model. The reason we can have players like that is we've banked on being able to sell them. If we don't sell them (or at least one of them) then we'll end back with unsellable duds on one-year deals.

I have no problem at all that we are a selling club but to sell our 3 prized assets in one go would be a bit of an uphill struggle to replace.

Strain Baccus and O’Hara would most definitely bring us in some serious cash. 

I would agree Shuggie Murray that Baccus would be the one I’d be most comfortable losing, given that the rumour is we’ve agreed a deal with the lad from Larne, who plays in the same position.

Edited by glenburn bud

Unusual maybe that there could be as many as 5 rookie managers in our league who will be attempting to take a club through a full season for the first time:

Aberdeen - Robson, Hearts - Naismith, St Johnstone - MacLean, Dundee - Docherty, Partick Thistle- Doolan.

Such is football these days, I can imagine that one, possibly two of them will be emptied during 23/24.

46 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

On the basis of literally minutes you make this decision  ???

What does SR know? He's signed him for next season too

Edited by medals

See the attendance figures :- oad mobile naviga

Scottish Premiership attendance totals in full

Utd big loss but we need to average more next season
Club Average gate Total 
Celtic 58,775 1,116,728
Rangers 49,116 933,207
Hearts 18,525 351,978
Hibs 17,467 331,886
Aberdeen 15,636 297,087
Dundee Utd 9,458 179,708
Kilmarnock 6,487 123,253
St Mirren 6,401 121,620
Motherwell 6,135 116,564
St Johnstone 5,322 101,125

Ross County

Livi

1 hour ago, Kempes said:

Congratulations to Jimbo on winning the Scottish Football Writers media award. Top man, well deserved and young Lewis is also doing a good job. What a club! 

Where you hearing this  ?.

5 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

I think losing Main Baccus and the likes of O’Hara would be a disaster for next season.

I get that they might bring in some decent cash in regards to O’Hara and Baccus. But very difficult to replace in my opinion.

I’m more worried about losing Strain before the start of next season, there must be some clubs with their eye on him. Teams that can offer more money than us unfortunately. 

7 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

To be fair, it's his first full season as a professional so I'd view it more as a 'rookie' year than anything.

I've no issue with him winning it. There was a real lack of viable options once Ethan left.

7 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Tempted to say it’s because we have no good young players coming through. But we did have Dylan Reid and back in the day these youngsters would have been able to come through and get games before getting sold. 

That and the OF hoovering up all the pro youth

7 hours ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Just completed the SMISA survey on the Conference League. Straightforward for / against as well as something along the lines of:

"Would you be in favour a St Mirren B team? If so, where should they play? a) Conference League, b) Friendlies only, c) B Team / Reserve league."

Play in a reserve league like they used to

No to B teams