The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

2 hours ago, houston_bud said:

Every season I think about whether or not anyone will be picking the bones of the relegated team, and if they had anyone I'd take.

A couple of years ago we brought in Power and Kiltie from Kilmarnock. I'm not sure Dundee had anyone that would've improved our squad.

Looking at Dundee Utd, they're really shite. The only players that would improve us would be Behich and Levitt and they're not coming to us. I loved McGrath but he doesn't get a game for us now when everyone is fit. 

The lad Cameron at Dundee looks a better prospect than anyone at Utd though Behich is great sometimes.

We also need to look at the likes of Ayr and Thistle but don't think anyone there is what we need.

I do think Watt will be here next season. Brophy hopefully not and best chance is RC surviving. If they don't,  White could be an ok 3rd choice behind Watt and Ayunga but I'm more excited to see who we get than worried. 

Hoping we do business early - 5 or so in by late June -  LB, CB, 1 or 2 midfielders plus 1 Forward as well as Watt.

We need to offload some old heeds too.

12 hours ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

Currently watching the St Mirren squad player derby from Wembley.

Kristian Dennis v Myles Hippolyte in the English League Two play-off final.

Both on the bench, but we've had a close up of Dennis explaining that he scores lots of goals but he's usually injured. Sounds familiar.

Jeff King misses the penalty for Chesterfield that saw Notts County go up. He also made the National League team of the season. Stevie Mallan was hero turned villain in Salford's playoff.  Scored a worldie then missed a penalty in the shoot out.  His goal is at 9min 50sec.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGQ3ZRbXj-I

5 hours ago, Lola montez said:

I’m pretty sure his wage is substantially more than we pay so a transfer fee is not the stumbling block. 

He'll get a pay-off from Utd though, so will possibly accept similar to what we've been paying during his loan period

10 hours ago, Captain_Sensible said:

A 24 year old won young player of the year?

To be fair, it's his first full season as a professional so I'd view it more as a 'rookie' year than anything.

I've no issue with him winning it. There was a real lack of viable options once Ethan left.

Just completed the SMISA survey on the Conference League. Straightforward for / against as well as something along the lines of:

"Would you be in favour a St Mirren B team? If so, where should they play? a) Conference League, b) Friendlies only, c) B Team / Reserve league."

47 minutes ago, medals said:

He'll get a pay-off from Utd though, so will possibly accept similar to what we've been paying during his loan period

I'm really not sold on Watt. Other than a very good goal against Livi, not sure he's done enough to prove he'll be a real asset. Lacks consistency and his career to date has been more miss than hit.

I’m prefer to see Watt move on and we use the wages for a younger hungrier striker capable of 15 goals a season. 
Watt’s goal to game stats throughout his career are not very impressive. 
Seems like a popular guy around the squad but we desperately need a regular goal scorer.

8 minutes ago, Hendo said:

I'm really not sold on Watt. Other than a very good goal against Livi, not sure he's done enough to prove he'll be a real asset. Lacks consistency and his career to date has been more miss than hit.

3 minutes ago, Molotov said:

I’m prefer to see Watt move on and we use the wages for a younger hungrier striker capable of 15 goals a season. 
Watt’s goal to game stats throughout his career are not very impressive. 
Seems like a popular guy around the squad but we desperately need a regular goal scorer.

I'm not really sold on Watt either for what he brought to us but I think he was not fully match fit or in the right mentality when he arrived.

So if he returns with a full pre-season behind him he could possibly  be a real asset.

I don't think it's just his goals that matter either. He can create chances for others.

We do need more regular goal scorers (not just 1) - we'd all love that. It's possible Watt might provide the ammo. SR likes him, he's happy with us, it's not all about money - we'll soon see.

Also think Bachus will go, so we'll be quids in and have more budget for the squad from the off.

If as we believe we made a bid on the Morecame CB, there must be a decent sum to utilise.

Lose Joe, Dunne, Tait, Brophy and Main and there will be plenty more to play with.

Edited by medals

21 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

I think we'd be better suited to signing a 35 goal a season striker than 15 goals.

15 just isn't as high as 35.

Obviously!

Part time to keep costs low.

Wonder if we could tempt this guy?

IMG_1886.thumb.jpeg.b32d92c3515175bc53b83cc38c55e536.jpeg

45 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

I think we'd be better suited to signing a 35 goal a season striker than 15 goals.

15 just isn't as high as 35.

One that hasn't had their dinner. Need them hungry as well.

This looks like a pre season of change. We could get bids in for O'Hara, Baccus or strain along with players leaving. 

Lots of scope to improve the squad.

One person I hope we tie down soon is Robbo. 

Wonder also if Tait will be let go and Olusanya.