The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

3 hours ago, elvis said:

Another useless striker just as well its a load of pish.

7 goals in 18 starts for Orlando Pirates last season and a debut for Ghana at 21 suggests he's hardly 'useless' although he hasn't had a great season this term.

It's a moot point anyway as it's almost certainly a random load of shite, though we did think the same about Baccus last season as well as he was plucked from thin air.

Edited by djchapsticks

Currently watching the St Mirren squad player derby from Wembley.

Kristian Dennis v Myles Hippolyte in the English League Two play-off final.

Both on the bench, but we've had a close up of Dennis explaining that he scores lots of goals but he's usually injured. Sounds familiar.

1 hour ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

Both on the bench, but we've had a close up of Dennis explaining that he scores lots of goals but he's usually injured. Sounds familiar.

Sounds like a bit of a freak one in this instance, and looks like he's had a decent season. I always liked him; was disappointed it didn't work out but he finished his chances off with that insane red card.

Screenshot_20230528-151631.png

4 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Sounds like a bit of a freak one in this instance, and looks like he's had a decent season. I always liked him; was disappointed it didn't work out but he finished his chances off with that insane red card.

Screenshot_20230528-151631.png

Yes, I was rooting for Dennis the whole time. He had a track record and you could see there was something there. Just never quite clicked for him here.

As it happens, Carlisle equalised just after he came on today. Hippolyte also had an outrageous effort from an overhead kick.

2 hours ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

Both scored in the shootout.

3 hours ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

Me, while watching events at Fir Park, Rugby Park, Goodison Park, The King Power, and Elland Road.

26D77135-802A-4B50-B005-7CB86B0736EB.jpeg

11 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

Boyd-Munce has signed for next season. Considering that was his first competitive game this year on Saturdy he showed up well. Good bit of business.

Fully expected this.

Robinson had him pinned as a 'we need to get him up to speed' type deal. He'd have been quite an extraordinary waste of money had he left, so I expected to see him stay.

Thought he showed up well yesterday. He's got an eye for a forward pass but not quite sure he's going to work as a holding mid. He looked far better in an attacking sense than he did as a defensive mid.

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

Fully expected this.

Robinson had him pinned as a 'we need to get him up to speed' type deal. He'd have been quite an extraordinary waste of money had he left, so I expected to see him stay.

Thought he showed up well yesterday. He's got an eye for a forward pass but not quite sure he's going to work as a holding mid. He looked far better in an attacking sense than he did as a defensive mid.

Presumably the lad from the NI league would potentially be DM. Plus we've got Gogic.

1 hour ago, NorthBank said:

Boyd-Munce has signed for next season. Considering that was his first competitive game this year on Saturdy he showed up well. Good bit of business.

He needs to get way fitter. Looked knackered after 20 minutes

Every season I think about whether or not anyone will be picking the bones of the relegated team, and if they had anyone I'd take.

A couple of years ago we brought in Power and Kiltie from Kilmarnock. I'm not sure Dundee had anyone that would've improved our squad.

Looking at Dundee Utd, they're really shite. The only players that would improve us would be Behich and Levitt and they're not coming to us. I loved McGrath but he doesn't get a game for us now when everyone is fit. 

Edited by houston_bud

41 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

Every season I think about whether or not anyone will be picking the bones of the relegated team, and if they had anyone I'd take.

A couple of years ago we brought in Power and Kiltie from Kilmarnock. I'm not sure Dundee had anyone that would've improved our squad.

Looking at Dundee Utd, they're really shite. The only players that would improve us would be Behich and Levitt and they're not coming to us. I loved McGrath but he doesn't get a game for us now when everyone is fit. 

If County go down I'd love to see Yan Dhanda in a Saints shirt but could see him going somewhere like Hibs.

53 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

I'd disagree with that. While Baccus, O'Hara and Gogic are the current first choice midfield 3, Robinson has said his preferred formation is 433 or maybe a modified version like 4312.

30 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

If County go down I'd love to see Yan Dhanda in a Saints shirt but could see him going somewhere like Hibs.

He was good against us when they beat us up there if I remember rightly.

Seems very hot and cold though. I wouldn't be disappointed if we signed him.

11 minutes ago, btb said:

Is Brophy going to County provisional on them staying up and if so can we afford Watt?

I'd hope if Main is moving on we'd be able to afford Watt. Realistically I don't think there's anyone who will be coming in with a big wage offer for him. Unless someone in England's league 1 or 2 comes in for him, we might be his best bet.

On 27/05/2023 at 20:30, Coventry Saint said:

I hope most fans share your realism. I'm still looking at who's coming up and hoping they'll be shite, such is my general outlook. Dundee are usually a comedy outfit so that's a good start.

Elsewhere, though, Motherwell have been excellent since Kettlewell took over. Aberdeen should improve. Hibs have looked like the league's 5th best side under Johnson and I'd expect that to continue. Unsure about Naismith at Hearts but can't imagine they'll implode again.

Livi and the Fakes are always competitive too.

Meanwhile, we have got assets that will be coveted and we absolutely have to play hard ball in the transfer market. By the same token, making money off in-contract players is literally our business plan, so I don't think anyone is 'safe' from leaving.

TL;Dr - League won't be any easier next season, but I have absolute faith in the management to replace anyone that does leave.

Are you new to Scottish football?