The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

2 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I hope most fans share your realism. I'm still looking at who's coming up and hoping they'll be shite, such is my general outlook. Dundee are usually a comedy outfit so that's a good start.

Elsewhere, though, Motherwell have been excellent since Kettlewell took over. Aberdeen should improve. Hibs have looked like the league's 5th best side under Johnson and I'd expect that to continue. Unsure about Naismith at Hearts but can't imagine they'll implode again.

Livi and the Fakes are always competitive too.

Meanwhile, we have got assets that will be coveted and we absolutely have to play hard ball in the transfer market. By the same token, making money off in-contract players is literally our business plan, so I don't think anyone is 'safe' from leaving.

TL;Dr - League won't be any easier next season, but I have absolute faith in the management to replace anyone that does leave.

It won't be any easier, but I suppose things do change quite fast. A couple of players can make it break a team, or a manager. Callum Davidson was the manager of the year with Ali McCann and Jason Kerr, not so much with the players he had to sign to replace them. McLean now has another rebuilding job to do there. Dundee are also starting off with no players and manager, bit like us the season we came up. Motherwell might lose Van Veen, and Robson and Naismith are still a bit unproven, especially in the transfer market.

No point worrying about it I suppose. Everyone will lose players and have to rebuild to some extent. I think we still have the core of reasonably competent players to build round, and a bit of continuity which is no bad thing.

14 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

TL;Dr - League won't be any easier next season, but I have absolute faith in the management to replace anyone that does leave.

On the plus side, folk say that every single season.

On 25/05/2023 at 19:06, houston_bud said:

I think we'd have got top 6 last season if Goodwin had stayed. Guess work though, Robinson has got us top 6 so he's already surpassed Goodwin's record.

Goodwin had a lot of credit in the bank. He would've have had to had a right stinker of a season for us to have sacked hi. Certainly not impossible but I reckon he'd still be here had he not moved on.

Dundee Utd could do a lot worse than appoint Goodwin for next season. If not I could see him pitching up at the likes of Ayr if they have a bad start to next year. Maybe even Raith if Murray moves on.

Goodwin got us top six😉

1 hour ago, Bobby_F said:

Leaving the West Bank tonight when they announced there’d be a SMISA player award

I heard there was a special SMISA recognition award. But who did it go to and what for? Can’t see anything on Twitter or website.

11 minutes ago, Molotov said:

I heard there was a special SMISA recognition award. But who did it go to and what for? Can’t see anything on Twitter or website.

Baccus for being the first Saints player to feature in a World Cup. 

2 minutes ago, Steven Glansberg said:

Baccus for being the first active Saints player at a World Cup 

Credit where it’s due. He started the season so well but seemed to fade away after the WC.  Strain has been more of a standout and I expect we may receive offers for him in the summer. We made a bit of money off the back of Baccus at WC. Shame Strain never made the final cut as I think he would have performed well. He does seem to suffer regular issues with his groin though - perhaps he may need some treatment or rest. 
Two great finds. Hope we uncover some more like these two gems.

7 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Well it was Chic Young on the radio who announced it.

I did say to my dad that it probably meant that he was leaving.

God knows, but I would be very pleasantly surprised if were to stay.

1 hour ago, FTOF said:

Well it was Chic Young on the radio who announced it.

I did say to my dad that it probably meant that he was leaving.

Chic Young is prone to getting it wrong. I suppose we will know soon enough

Genuinely never sure why these -20 follower accounts constantly choose Scottish sides to create the most bizarre rumours about.

In saying that they spread quick. We had a mental rumour linking us with Morten Gamst Pedersen a year or two back and he got asked about it in an interview and had no idea who we even were 😂

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Genuinely never sure why these -20 follower accounts constantly choose Scottish sides to create the most bizarre rumours about.

In saying that they spread quick. We had a mental rumour linking us with Morten Gamst Pedersen a year or two back and he got asked about it in an interview and had no idea who we even were 😂

Feel free to join in the ‘St Mirren FC close season bingo’ competition. Chalk them off on your card and shout ‘House!’…

1. Old Firm run rule over St Mirren World Cup star Keanu Baccus.

2. Steven Robinson set to raid old club Morecambe FC as he promises new signings.

3. St Mirren’s Ryan Strain set for move to English League One side Whothefcuk Rovers.

5. Curtis Main’s agent says nothing has been decided yet as the player ponders offers from multiple English sides.

6. Stephen Robinson says the club are doing everything they can to keep their stars.

7. St Mirren, St Johnstone and Motherwell leading the race to sign Old Firm youngster Shuggie McNeverheardofhim.

8. Highly rated Leeds United youngster set to join St Mirren on loan.

9. Highly rated Leeds United youngster joins Hibernian.

10. Jim Goodwin looks to sign (insert random name here) from old club St Mirren.

There’s ten for starters. Bingo!

Edited by pozbaird

19 minutes ago, elvis said:

Another useless striker just as well its a load of pish.

Didnt know you were a connoisseur of South African football?

So please give us your critique of why he is useless.