The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

34 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

I accept that there have been more red cards this season than probably any other and that we have had advantages as well as disadvantages. You won both games against us when we had 10 men and likewise us against you. However our disciplinary record is poor and hopefully there is improvement next season. Scrapping var should improve every teams' disciplinary record.

It definitely would improve disciplinary records across the board...but players could also try just not committing red card worthy fouls.

45 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

I accept that there have been more red cards this season than probably any other and that we have had advantages as well as disadvantages. You won both games against us when we had 10 men and likewise us against you. However our disciplinary record is poor and hopefully there is improvement next season. Scrapping var should improve every teams' disciplinary record.

Robinson likes a big physical no nonsense team of cut out the red cards I agree. But big phisical teams will always be getting cards. 

Had a long lie and just woke up on the final day of the league season. Before going to put the kettle on, checked the bedside unit, checked the laundry basket, had a quick peek in the washing machine just in case. Cannot find soiled breeks or clarted nappies anywhere in the house.

Congratulations on a good season St Mirren. Thank you. It’s a lovely day out there. 😀

Edited by pozbaird

Next season will be interesting to see if we can make Top 6 again. I don’t buy into this ‘next level’ thing, so my expectations are - don’t be embroiled in a trouser-troubling relegation battle, don’t go on long home winless runs to the point where it’s a scunner going to FeegieField, don’t get pumped oot’ the cup by a lower league side, and don’t suffer a 7-0 Old Firm scudding.

That’s it. I don’t ‘demand’ another Top 6 finish. Would be lovely, but if we don’t get it, hopefully stay away from the bottom two places.

2 hours ago, AW saint said:

Maino's daughter looks a player

Brutal at times dealing with the other “players” but a complete stand out today for Saints. Similar finishing characteristics as her auld man. 😂 

Other main positive today is that Trevor Carson is signed up for another season. Phew….. 😮‍💨 

13 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Next season will be interesting to see if we can make Top 6 again. I don’t buy into this ‘next level’ thing, so my expectations are - don’t be embroiled in a trouser-troubling relegation battle, don’t go on long home winless runs to the point where it’s a scunner going to FeegieField, don’t get pumped oot’ the cup by a lower league side, and don’t suffer a 7-0 Old Firm scudding.

That’s it. I don’t ‘demand’ another Top 6 finish. Would be lovely, but if we don’t get it, hopefully stay away from the bottom two places.

Yeah, exactly, I really enjoyed actually going to the football this season. Yes, there were some shiters, a few no shows and couple of naive draws/losses where we should have been home and dry, but there were far more high points. The good home form in particular made such a difference, we basically turned up at every game at home knowing we had a chance which really helped fill the ground.

We saw some good players as well, that combination of decent footballers, with the right attitude, and mostly likeable. Mark O'Hara kind of exemplify this, and no surprise he was the last man there after the game still taking pictures with the kids after the game. 

As @Bobby_F stated on the matchday thread, Urminsky is not good enough

Neither is Boyd-Munce

And I don’t rate the youngsters Jamieson or Offord. Jamieson is 21 now, he’s not a kid.

As I said elsewhere, Richard Taylor is a find, great player. Could definitely be worth money in a years time

It appears we’re losing no-one of real significance for next season and that Taylor is an upgrade on Dunne

If Robinson could conjure up a striker and a left wing back, we could have quite a season next season….

6 minutes ago, Captain_Sensible said:

As @Bobby_F stated on the matchday thread, Urminsky is not good enough

Neither is Boyd-Munce

And I don’t rate the youngsters Jamieson or Offord. Jamieson is 21 now, he’s not a kid.

As I said elsewhere, Richard Taylor is a find, great player. Could definitely be worth money in a years time

It appears we’re losing no-one of real significance for next season and that Taylor is an upgrade on Dunne

If Robinson could conjure up a striker and a left wing back, we could have quite a season next season….

Jamieson was desperate to chat with McGregor of Rangers after the game. 

3 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Can I add to my ‘hopes’ for next season not to be subjected to more off-field bollocks from individuals on either side of the ‘SMiSA - Kibble - BoD’ fence? Please?

I haven’t got a feckin clue about all that so I’m immune to it all. We’ve been brilliant on the pitch, that’s all that matters to me!

Edited by Captain_Sensible

7 minutes ago, Captain_Sensible said:

I haven’t got a feckin clue about all that so I’m immune to it all. We’ve been brilliant on the pitch, that’s all that matters to me!

Individual egos or noses out of joint matters not a fcuk to me either, but when it gets played out in the public domain, with statements on the club website, ‘Mr St Mirren’ sob stories in media outlets, folk getting stadium bans and all sorts, then do us all a favour…. sort it out between you behind closed doors - or, preferably, just shut the fcuk up.

Leaving the West Bank tonight when they announced there’d be a SMISA player award someone shouted out…

”f**k SMISA!”

Seemed a tad churlish given we’ve celebrated our highest finish in almost 40 years, and the spirit amongst fans players and management is night and day from most of the last couple of decades.  

People eh. What are they like.  

2 hours ago, pozbaird said:

I hope most fans share your realism. I'm still looking at who's coming up and hoping they'll be shite, such is my general outlook. Dundee are usually a comedy outfit so that's a good start.

Elsewhere, though, Motherwell have been excellent since Kettlewell took over. Aberdeen should improve. Hibs have looked like the league's 5th best side under Johnson and I'd expect that to continue. Unsure about Naismith at Hearts but can't imagine they'll implode again.

Livi and the Fakes are always competitive too.

Meanwhile, we have got assets that will be coveted and we absolutely have to play hard ball in the transfer market. By the same token, making money off in-contract players is literally our business plan, so I don't think anyone is 'safe' from leaving.

TL;Dr - League won't be any easier next season, but I have absolute faith in the management to replace anyone that does leave.