The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

32 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

The odds of Tony Watt being a St Mirren player next season will have gone up now I reckon.

Jim Goodwin though? Must be wishing he'd never left us. Wouldn't be surprised if his next managerial post was all the way back at a part-time club.

He’ll have made a few quid out of these moves. If he’s stayed with us there is no guarantee he’d have had the success that Robinson has had. Indeed, he could well have ended up getting sacked by us!

4 hours ago, Hendo said:

His signings and tactics were poor but to be fair to him he inherited the clusterfuck the club was following our relegation. 

3 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Shite as Rae was, much of a p***k as he was and as much as a disaster as his 2nd season was, there's no denying at all that he was a marked improvement on Ian Murray that season.

Murray got a raw deal with where the club was at that time, up for sale, relegated and wounded. It doesn't excuse how poor his signings were in the main or how rubbish the team was then. McMullan and Shankland probably the only 2 good ones. Howieson was a bit raw but seems to have carved out an OK career in New Zealand.   

I don't think it's up for debate really that Rae did a better job than Murray. Murray looked lost and the job was too big for him. Rae came in and was was able to get control of the dressing room, made us much more solid and up for the battle. I'm not sure why the second season was such a disaster, but he did improve things when he took over.  

35 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

The odds of Tony Watt being a St Mirren player next season will have gone up now I reckon.

Jim Goodwin though? Must be wishing he'd never left us. Wouldn't be surprised if his next managerial post was all the way back at a part-time club.

Tony Watt wants to come back. Is he value for money though? Like Brophey he doesn't get enough goals per the wages he demands. 

Will we hear positive news about Main soon

Had Ryan Flynn not given away that penalty and had Curtis Main got his hat trick, we’d currently be sitting a point behind Hibs and Hearts and have qualification for Europe in our own hands

Need to remember as well that Hibs were up against a Celtic second string last night

All very fine margins

I feel we can do even better next season 🤞

37 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Any time I’ve spoken to him, he’s always a class act. I know Arabs fans maybe don’t care much at the moment, but he’s a thoroughly decent guy IMHO. I wished him all the best and that was it.

No doubt Jim is a decent bloke - saw that with the stuff he did community wise through lockdown. 

I wasn't sure he was right fit for Aberdeen when they hired him - that said his signings were decent, he just couldn't make them play!

Always felt he was too stubborn at times (in his final season with us he kept playing 3 at the back which everyone could see wasn't working before finally changing it at the winter break which sent us on a run!) Dundee United giving Goodwin a Championship campaign is probably fair. 

1 hour ago, flyingscot said:

No doubt Jim is a decent bloke - saw that with the stuff he did community wise through lockdown. 

I wasn't sure he was right fit for Aberdeen when they hired him - that said his signings were decent, he just couldn't make them play!

Always felt he was too stubborn at times (in his final season with us he kept playing 3 at the back which everyone could see wasn't working before finally changing it at the winter break which sent us on a run!) Dundee United giving Goodwin a Championship campaign is probably fair. 

He's gotta be a better shout for Dee than Murray

Edited by medals

54 minutes ago, Captain_Sensible said:

He’ll have made a few quid out of these moves. If he’s stayed with us there is no guarantee he’d have had the success that Robinson has had. Indeed, he could well have ended up getting sacked by us!

I think we'd have got top 6 last season if Goodwin had stayed. Guess work though, Robinson has got us top 6 so he's already surpassed Goodwin's record.

Goodwin had a lot of credit in the bank. He would've have had to had a right stinker of a season for us to have sacked hi. Certainly not impossible but I reckon he'd still be here had he not moved on.

Dundee Utd could do a lot worse than appoint Goodwin for next season. If not I could see him pitching up at the likes of Ayr if they have a bad start to next year. Maybe even Raith if Murray moves on.

55 minutes ago, Captain_Sensible said:

Had Ryan Flynn not given away that penalty and had Curtis Main got his hat trick, we’d currently be sitting a point behind Hibs and Hearts and have qualification for Europe in our own hands

Need to remember as well that Hibs were up against a Celtic second string last night

All very fine margins

I feel we can do even better next season 🤞

That life, that's football - we probably made a few late comebacks throughout the season.

25 minutes ago, btb said:

That life, that's football - we probably made a few late comebacks throughout the season.

You are right - i had a wee look and we gained 7 points through goals in the last 10 minutes of games this season, and also lost 7 points through the same thing.

Jim Goodwin is a class act. A true gentleman and how he must be really annoyed with the players at Aberdeen. 

Didn't try a leg for Jim and these same players should feel totally ashamed at not being 100% while Jim was there.

Disagree Jim should take on an assistant's roll. He is far too good for that. 

Jim...if he gets the chance to stay on at Tannadice...should take it and bring United up next season. He is good and will go on to greater clubs.

Of that I am sure.

4 hours ago, btb said:

4 hours ago, Hendo said:

You are right - i had a wee look and we gained 7 points through goals in the last 10 minutes of games this season, and also lost 7 points through the same thing.

Yeh, evens out over a season 

I don’t think we scored any meaningful last gasp goals though, like the ones we lost to St Johnstone and Hearts? 

22 minutes ago, Captain_Sensible said:

I don’t think we scored any meaningful last gasp goals though, like the ones we lost to St Johnstone and Hearts? 

The 10 man win against Livi was a last minute goal from Grieve. In fact, pretty sure the equaliser from Livi was quite late in the first place.

8 hours ago, Captain_Sensible said:

Not in the same category, but we did get the benefit of an extremely dodgy penalty award when Curtis Main was "hacked to the ground" :rolleyes: v Doondee Utd, which gained us a draw.

8 hours ago, Captain_Sensible said:

Having said that I was apoplectic when we conceded the penalty against Hertz a coupla weeks back!

Hope our disciplinery record improves next season. 10 red cards, 8 in the League. In only 1 of the League games did we win (Greive last minute v Livi). So we played around 1 in 5 games with 10 men losing 19 points in the process (2 draws, 1 win). Obviously we may not have won any of those games with 11 players on the park but it is quite a handicap playing 20% of games a man short.

3 hours ago, NorthBank said:

Hope our disciplinery record improves next season. 10 red cards, 8 in the League. In only 1 of the League games did we win (Greive last minute v Livi). So we played around 1 in 5 games with 10 men losing 19 points in the process (2 draws, 1 win). Obviously we may not have won any of those games with 11 players on the park but it is quite a handicap playing 20% of games a man short.

You won both games against us when we went down to 10 men. Pretty sure I'm right when I say that all four sendings off in the four matches between our teams were in the first half? Not 100% sure about when Anthony Stewart was sent off in Paisley. 

41 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

You won both games against us when we went down to 10 men. Pretty sure I'm right when I say that all four sendings off in the four matches between our teams were in the first half? Not 100% sure about when Anthony Stewart was sent off in Paisley. 

Aye, he was sent off just before half-time. Despite that setback, we still won...

4 hours ago, NorthBank said:

We've also failed to take advantage of the opposition being down to 10 men - the St Johnstone and Hearts games the most notable. That's not a new thing with St Mirren though - or indeed against nine men 😬

Not sure if it's just us or for every team, but there seem to have been a lot more red cards since VAR was introduced...

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

I accept that there have been more red cards this season than probably any other and that we have had advantages as well as disadvantages. You won both games against us when we had 10 men and likewise us against you. However our disciplinary record is poor and hopefully there is improvement next season. Scrapping var should improve every teams' disciplinary record.