The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

What a season it's been. So enjoyable.

Gutted to have missed out on Europe with games to spare, but that's our own fault. Shite results at home to Killie and then failing to put Hearts to the sword twice has really cost us.

That said, what a team and what a manager.

We've been unlucky that almost our entire attack has been sidelined with injury all at the same time in the final handful of games - but it was results like the 2-0 defeat to Killie last month that have done us.

Loads to be positive about ahead of next season and I'm already looking forward to it.

Let's finish it with a flourish on Saturday please and bring down the curtain on a great season.

Edited by Shuggie_Murray7

I also forgot to mention that I very much liked the look of young Taylor when he came on.

He seemed confident enough to take the ball and try and make things happen. He gave the ball away once or twice, but that didn't seem to knock his confidence at all.

I wouldn't mind him getting a start on Saturday.

1 hour ago, Arch Stanton said:

Taylor at the piggery.

Ta - I knew it was against Celtic but couldn't remember which game as they were so close together.

53 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

I also forgot to mention that I very much liked the look of young Taylor when he came on.

He seemed confident enough to take the ball and try and make things happen. He gave the ball away once or twice, but that didn't seem to knock his confidence at all.

I wouldn't mind him getting a start on Saturday.

Would be quite happy to start a few of the young lads on Saturday but the fact it's Rangers might sway Robinson against that sadly.

4 minutes ago, SS77 said:

Macron.

Never knew. They’ve smashed Motherwell’s kits out the park season after season, so fingers crossed they can hit the spot with B&W stripes…. No back patch. Please. Thank you Macron.

15 hours ago, Passionate said:

Hi guys,  not normally a poster on Premier League sites for obvious reasons,,,   quick question how bad was Ian Murray when he was your manager,  was it 12 games or so he was in charge for(no research done)...  I remember being the next big thing after a successful stint at Dumbarton,  Everybody still talks about his St Mitten days surely they weren't that bad..

Airdrie picked him really a broken man after 2 years in Iceland,  gradually you could tell he had something it took a while right enough,  was consistently good a limited resource d Airdrie and steadied the ship at Raith after there self induced screw ups..

now linked heavily with a return to the Premier with Dundee....

did the media drive him out, support hound him or generally useless...

hopefully play you guys again soon,  miss the view from the Caledonia Stand was the best stand in football..

He was clueless at the time and his signings were abysmal. 

There was a lit of chat from his time at. Dumbarton, his assisant Jack Ross was the brains behind the operation. Could be wrong, though Ross had already made his way to Hearts ( i think) by the time he Murray came to us, so he never took him with him.

42 minutes ago, smellthepaw said:

He was clueless at the time and his signings were abysmal. 

There was a lit of chat from his time at. Dumbarton, his assisant Jack Ross was the brains behind the operation. Could be wrong, though Ross had already made his way to Hearts ( i think) by the time he Murray came to us, so he never took him with him.

I remember his biggest managerial masterstroke was swapping the dugouts so we'd be closer to the linesman to put pressure on him!

His signings and tactics were poor but to be fair to him he inherited the clusterfuck the club was following our relegation. He seems to be mediocre at best everywhere else he's been since Dumbarton so i'd be surprised if he gets the Dundee job. If he does, relegated by March would be my prediction.

That was a very enjoyable season Robinson putting the pride back into the club with gates up also. Can't be arsed with Saturday and it's 12.30 kick off time . Invarary George Hotel for dinner and a wee day out. Season ticket for next season in place hopefully build on this memorable season. 

17 hours ago, DumbartonBud said:

He was that bad that Alex Rae came in and improved us. 

Nah he never. We were poor under Murry no doubt but there was something like football played. results did not go his way. Seem to remember a decent performance at Ibrox where we missed a penalty to go 2-0 up and ended up losing. And a general softness in the team meant we were unsuited for the "ahem" robust nature of the championship.  Rae just turned us into shite that would kick things and that was enough to keep us up. 

52 minutes ago, Insaintee said:

Nah he never. We were poor under Murry no doubt but there was something like football played. results did not go his way. Seem to remember a decent performance at Ibrox where we missed a penalty to go 2-0 up and ended up losing. And a general softness in the team meant we were unsuited for the "ahem" robust nature of the championship.  Rae just turned us into shite that would kick things and that was enough to keep us up. 

The penalty would have made it 2-2 and we were actually pretty awful that night.

Rae was a definite improvement on Murray in the remainder of that season. What was served up the following season was as bad as or worse than anything produced under Murray though.

Shite as Rae was, much of a p***k as he was and as much as a disaster as his 2nd season was, there's no denying at all that he was a marked improvement on Ian Murray that season.

2 wins in 16 vs 9 wins in 20.

image.thumb.png.fca6faf5d811a01e2f170699f3bbea07.png

Edited by djchapsticks

Was in Kirkintilloch today, and in a car park, bumped into Jim Goodwin. He remembered that a few years ago, we played together in a St Mirren golf day at Paisley GC. We chatted for a few minutes, and he said that last night was his worst in football. He also took the time to say he hoped I enjoyed the good season for St Mirren. Any time I’ve spoken to him, he’s always a class act. I know Arabs fans maybe don’t care much at the moment, but he’s a thoroughly decent guy IMHO. I wished him all the best and that was it.

It might not do Jim any harm to consider an assistant manager position somewhere if anything is available. Stay in the game, keep learning, but not in the full glare. 

I think he has many of the attributes to be successful (wtf do I know, right enough), but always struck me as a bit stubborn and slow to recognise when things weren't working out as planned. Perhaps a bit naive? There is no substitute for experience, but another front line position might be too much of a gamble for him just now.