The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

6 hours ago, GAD said:

Absolutely, it's also a bit hard not to wonder if the guys causing all this wouldn't be fine with that, getting us back in our place, like the good old days, the way things should be. 1 year contracts, cheapest manager we can get, budget for 11th, get W7 back as the overflow for OF fans and the away end when we are back in the championship, sell any decent player that happens to come along to the first bidder with no replacement. Never try and build anything, never try and improve.

We had this very discussion yesterday best summed up as the corner shop mentality. A wee bit of ambition always seemed to be a step too far for those with that mindset. 

1 hour ago, Torfason said:

I can’t remember the last time we were in the Premier League and had the chance to play kids at the end of the season for a bit of game time but we are here now.

1 point from 9 has ended our season BUT what a season it has been.

I started following Saints in 86 and seasons like this have been few and far between.

Time to enjoy it and watch the sales of Pampers rocket for a few teams fighting to stay up. 

While it's now very unlikely I wouldn't be throwing kids in unless we find ourselves in a position where we can't finish 5th. Celtic are massive favourites to win the Scottish Cup and if they do 5th becomes a European spot, no chance we should be giving up on that until mathematically impossible.

10 minutes ago, thomas said:

While it's now very unlikely I wouldn't be throwing kids in unless we find ourselves in a position where we can't finish 5th. Celtic are massive favourites to win the Scottish Cup and if they do 5th becomes a European spot, no chance we should be giving up on that until mathematically impossible.

Agreed. There is a scenario, unlikely but not impossible, that Hibs lose their next two against Celtic and Rangers, so we'd only need a point in one of our next two games to take it to the last day. 

2 hours ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Again, to me though, this mistrust is a personal thing, more about Jim Gillespie and Mark McMillan than about Kibble itself. 

What is it? A 160 year old charity who help traumatised young people. They want to collaborate with St Mirren as we're a huge part of the community so can help them achieve that aim. This isn't Craig Whyte or Reg Brearley we're cosying up to.

So maybe Gillespie and McMillan aren't "St Mirren men" and might actually support other teams..... Big deal. I'm pretty sure Stephen Robinson wasn't at Forthbank in 1997. 

There is no inherent reason to mistrust Kibble. I work in social work and while i've never been employed by Kibble, i've worked with them a lot over the years and in my experience they are one of the better social care providers - not perfect and they sometimes think they are better than they really are, but generally they are good at what they do - much better than some other organisations i could mention.

The issue is there is clearly some concerns about what has happened at St Mirren since Kibble got involved. The security firm change and concerns over their procurement, ticketing fiasco, repairs to Ralston, being taken to a tribunal over unfair dismissal, Kibble staff being employed in key positions, and now this - with very little in the way of answers about what is going on.

I dont think we need to know the detail of everything which is going on, but some transparency from both SMISA and the St Mirren board would be nice.

We are absolutely still in the race for Europe.

As has been pointed out, if Hibs lose to the Old Firm then we only need a point in the next 2 games to take it to the last day.

If Aberdeen can wrap up 3rd place next week then they’ll have nothing to play for when we visit Pittodrie

5 hours ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Again, to me though, this mistrust is a personal thing, more about Jim Gillespie and Mark McMillan than about Kibble itself. 

What is it? A 160 year old charity who help traumatised young people. They want to collaborate with St Mirren as we're a huge part of the community so can help them achieve that aim. This isn't Craig Whyte or Reg Brearley we're cosying up to.

So maybe Gillespie and McMillan aren't "St Mirren men" and might actually support other teams..... Big deal. I'm pretty sure Stephen Robinson wasn't at Forthbank in 1997. 

Do you actually believe the Kibble have been helping kids for 160 years? An establishment which in reality was a borstal till the 1980’s and children were beaten on a regular basis.  If you are going to support them then quote the last 40 years not the last 160.  

7 hours ago, WHU said:

Do you actually believe the Kibble have been helping kids for 160 years? An establishment which in reality was a borstal till the 1980’s and children were beaten on a regular basis.  If you are going to support them then quote the last 40 years not the last 160.  

Criticising Kibble for the way in which society treated children between 1870 and 1980 is a bit of a stretch I'd say.

10 hours ago, Captain_Sensible said:

We are absolutely still in the race for Europe.

As has been pointed out, if Hibs lose to the Old Firm then we only need a point in the next 2 games to take it to the last day.

If Aberdeen can wrap up 3rd place next week then they’ll have nothing to play for when we visit Pittodrie

Aberdeen are struggling with big players out injured & suspended.

Reckon we’ll lose at Tynecastle, meaning we’ll have to win against St Mirren. 

I think you’ll end up 6th. 

51 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Criticising Kibble for the way in which society treated children between 1870 and 1980 is a bit of a stretch I'd say.

I’m not, I was just pointing out it was wrong to point out they have been aiding kids for 160 years.  I don’t have any criticism of the Kibble I worked in that field for 15 years and know first hand the great work they do.  I also know it’s quite common that companies put in bids when at the first stage with partners they have yet to confirm. 

4 hours ago, Bobby_F said:

Hate seeing this on my news feed.  

D76B0599-9B70-49ED-944C-82D555AD59E5.jpeg

When the directors put a ban on Alan from the stadium and he said he would take legal action this was only going to go one way . It's going to get messy can see big changes at board room level when all this is played out in court. Sad it's got to come to this . 

From FB...

"Alan Wardrop has just issued a statement to the members of the 1877 club:

1877 Club Update

Monday 15th May, 2023 at 17.05 (after the Smisa election voting closed)

Dear 1877 Club Member

You will no doubt be aware that I have been banned from the stadium by the St.Mirren Board of Directors.

Therefore, I believe this would be the right juncture to hand things over to a new committee of 1877 Club members to take the club forward. I welcome any interested member to get in touch and I will set up an initial meeting to take it forward.

However, I also need to make you aware of a board plan to take away the kids zone in the 1877 club affecting 21 of our junior members and their parents and replace it with a sensory room.

Personally, I think a sensory room is a great idea but I think the area under consideration is wholly inappropriate due to the close proximity to a noisy and fun supporters club.

I have suggested what I believe is a far better location situated between the family stand and west stand corner where I had been working on building executive boxes. This area already has planning permission and could provide an excellent sensory room with dedicated access and fantastic views.

However, I now think this is getting personal and I believe this is the start of the dismantling of the 1877 Supporters Club to be eventually replaced by additional corporate hospitality and the club moved to an outdoor venue such as a fans zone.

If this proposal continues I would hate it to be because of me, so I will end my roles as club host and membership Manager as soon as a committee can be formed. Please contact me if you are interested in forming part of this 6 person (my suggestion) committee.

Our club Chairman John Needham, an 1877 club member. contacted me at very short notice requesting I pass on all your personal information to him as football club Chairman which I chose not to do. Your personal information was supplied to the 1877 club and requires your permission for it to be passed from one organisation to another organisation, albeit closely linked. The 1877 club is an independent supporters club , therefore the football club has no right to your personal information without your consent .If you wish me to pass your data to Mr Needham as club Chairman please email me with your consent and I will pass it on in due course.

The current situation is a sad state of affairs and if you want your voice heard please email club Chairman john.needham@smisa.com or john.needham@stmirren.com

As I am banned I will not be attending the last game of the season but will pass on the POTY trophies to be awarded by the SLO’s who do a wonderful job as volunteers and I would like to highlight their efforts. I also have new membership cards ready for collection, so perhaps someone (new committee member) can organise their distribution at the same end of season home game.

Finally, this e mail gives me the opportunity to share a few wee secrets with you that only a few of my closest friends know. All the financing of the POTY trophies, buying memorabilia for display in the club, buying junior members Christmas gifts, buying food and drinks for members as a thank you for their support during Covid and providing the Buddy Bus service for free have all been at my expense.

Life has been good to me so I try to give it back to the people I care about, you, my fellow buddies.

Hope to see you all at away games in the future and thank you for making the 1877 Club the St.Mirren supporters club I dreamed of.

Best wishes

Alan Wardrop"

13 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

From FB...

"Alan Wardrop has just issued a statement to the members of the 1877 club:

1877 Club Update

Monday 15th May, 2023 at 17.05 (after the Smisa election voting closed)

Dear 1877 Club Member

You will no doubt be aware that I have been banned from the stadium by the St.Mirren Board of Directors.

Therefore, I believe this would be the right juncture to hand things over to a new committee of 1877 Club members to take the club forward. I welcome any interested member to get in touch and I will set up an initial meeting to take it forward.

However, I also need to make you aware of a board plan to take away the kids zone in the 1877 club affecting 21 of our junior members and their parents and replace it with a sensory room.

Personally, I think a sensory room is a great idea but I think the area under consideration is wholly inappropriate due to the close proximity to a noisy and fun supporters club.

I have suggested what I believe is a far better location situated between the family stand and west stand corner where I had been working on building executive boxes. This area already has planning permission and could provide an excellent sensory room with dedicated access and fantastic views.

However, I now think this is getting personal and I believe this is the start of the dismantling of the 1877 Supporters Club to be eventually replaced by additional corporate hospitality and the club moved to an outdoor venue such as a fans zone.

If this proposal continues I would hate it to be because of me, so I will end my roles as club host and membership Manager as soon as a committee can be formed. Please contact me if you are interested in forming part of this 6 person (my suggestion) committee.

Our club Chairman John Needham, an 1877 club member. contacted me at very short notice requesting I pass on all your personal information to him as football club Chairman which I chose not to do. Your personal information was supplied to the 1877 club and requires your permission for it to be passed from one organisation to another organisation, albeit closely linked. The 1877 club is an independent supporters club , therefore the football club has no right to your personal information without your consent .If you wish me to pass your data to Mr Needham as club Chairman please email me with your consent and I will pass it on in due course.

The current situation is a sad state of affairs and if you want your voice heard please email club Chairman john.needham@smisa.com or john.needham@stmirren.com

As I am banned I will not be attending the last game of the season but will pass on the POTY trophies to be awarded by the SLO’s who do a wonderful job as volunteers and I would like to highlight their efforts. I also have new membership cards ready for collection, so perhaps someone (new committee member) can organise their distribution at the same end of season home game.

Finally, this e mail gives me the opportunity to share a few wee secrets with you that only a few of my closest friends know. All the financing of the POTY trophies, buying memorabilia for display in the club, buying junior members Christmas gifts, buying food and drinks for members as a thank you for their support during Covid and providing the Buddy Bus service for free have all been at my expense.

Life has been good to me so I try to give it back to the people I care about, you, my fellow buddies.

Hope to see you all at away games in the future and thank you for making the 1877 Club the St.Mirren supporters club I dreamed of.

Best wishes

Alan Wardrop"

What was the need for the last part about him spending his own money? Guy loves blowing smoke up his arse.

He’s complaining about the idea of including more fans in wider fan zone rather than a closed shop club and also about a sensory room. He needs someone close to him to tell him to stop this, it’s genuinely sad to see someone meltdown like this in public.

Would love to have sat in the meeting with the Wardrop PR team where it was decided the best way to tone down the accusations of LOOK AT ME that followed standing in his home shirt looking sad outside the stadium for press photos was to release a statement that ended with “and those selfless gifts that were given? All me. You’re welcome”.

11 hours ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Aberdeen are struggling with big players out injured & suspended.

Reckon we’ll lose at Tynecastle, meaning we’ll have to win against St Mirren. 

I think you’ll end up 6th. 

I think we’ll end up 6th as well

If you are struggling with injuries and suspensions then that is good for when we play you too. Indeed, you lot needing to beat us may help us too.

I’d like us to at least still be in with a shout for the visit to Pittodrie. Need to hope Hibs don’t beat Sevco

Mainly because I intend going to that game. 

4 minutes ago, Captain_Sensible said:

I think we’ll end up 6th as well

If you are struggling with injuries and suspensions then that is good for when we play you too. Indeed, you lot needing to beat us may help us too.

I’d like us to at least still be in with a shout for the visit to Pittodrie. Need to hope Hibs don’t beat Sevco

Mainly because I intend going to that game. 

Celtic & The Rangers will have switched off mentally. 
Possibly a good time to play them.

I don’t think either will win all of their last three, so someone will pick up what is (sadly) seen as “bonus points”.

The Rangers at home in the last game is as good as time to play them as any.

33 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Cringe! 😂

45 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

When the directors put a ban on Alan from the stadium and he said he would take legal action this was only going to go one way . It's going to get messy can see big changes at board room level when all this is played out in court. Sad it's got to come to this . 

What do you think is going to get played out in court? You think someone is going to be sued? Or there will be criminal charges? What are you expecting here?

2 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Celtic & The Rangers will have switched off mentally. 
Possibly a good time to play them.

I don’t think either will win all of their last three, so someone will pick up what is (sadly) seen as “bonus points”.

The Rangers at home in the last game is as good as time to play them as any.

Yes, I agree. But equally, Hibs could also beat the OF

With Hearts v Hibs on last day, that Hearts equaliser on Saturday is so costly

But it’s not over yet. I have hope we can get this to the last day