The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Unfortunately looks like #KibbleGate rumbles on.

The papers now saying the council have confirmed the drawings submitted in the application (the ones suggesting use of club land) were created by the Kibble, not the council.

Story Source;

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/homenews/23519622.st-mirren-faces-court-action-leaks-ignite-charity-care-centre-row/?action=bulletin_click&sent_id=1886328340&secret=851849&ref=ebls

Now IF that is true, then this section of the email sent by Jim Gillespie to SMiSA needs some explaining.

IMG_6330.jpeg

On the football yesterday I thought we were absolutely magnificent first half, as good as I’ve seen us play in a while.

Gogic was sensational, as he was the whole game, as was Strain. I also thought Baccus looked much more like his old self when he came on 2nd half.

Second half Hearts obviously improved after a bollocking but we weathered that and came back into things and really should have scored a third by the time they got one back.

The red card should have allowed us to put things to bed but when you don’t take your chances you are always liable to a sucker punch and so it proved.

Really disappointing way for the afternoon to finish after the players put so much into it.

Im refusing to give up hope but it’s pretty difficult to see us getting much more than a point from the 3 games left.

It’s disappointing but we can’t lose sight of the fact it will still be our highest league finish in nearly 40 years.

1 hour ago, Div said:

The papers now saying the council have confirmed the drawings submitted in the application (the ones suggesting use of club land) were created by the Kibble, not the council.

Story Source;

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/homenews/23519622.st-mirren-faces-court-action-leaks-ignite-charity-care-centre-row/?action=bulletin_click&sent_id=1886328340&secret=851849&ref=ebls

Now IF that is true, then this section of the email sent by Jim Gillespie to SMiSA needs some explaining.

IMG_6330.jpeg

Bizarrely the article states the proposal was to incorporate around 10 acres of land yet the plan shows a shaded area about a tenth of that size based purely in comparison to the approx size in comparison to the playing area of our stadium as shown on the plans. None of this adds up !

Why any of this is being played out in the national press is beyond comprehension. This is surely something that should be dealt with inside board room(s), it's not hard to see this as blatant electioneering if someone was standing on an anti Kibble ticket ?

Edited by Billy Jean King

The PDE article (https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/in-your-area/renfrewshire/charity-blasted-over-secret-plan-29953458) quoted the council as saying: "Officers provided a supporting addendum to the grant funding application which marked an area of land based on our discussions with Kibble for context only, so this was not a mistake.

“This showed an indicative area only. The funding application itself did not specify an exact location – had it been successful, the exact detail and location would have been decided at a later date, as part of a wider masterplan for the area, and through any subsequent planning application. The funding application relied on information provided by Kibble."

3 minutes ago, Stu said:

The PDE article (https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/in-your-area/renfrewshire/charity-blasted-over-secret-plan-29953458) quoted the council as saying: "Officers provided a supporting addendum to the grant funding application which marked an area of land based on our discussions with Kibble for context only, so this was not a mistake.

“This showed an indicative area only. The funding application itself did not specify an exact location – had it been successful, the exact detail and location would have been decided at a later date, as part of a wider masterplan for the area, and through any subsequent planning application. The funding application relied on information provided by Kibble."

I don't profess to know much about these applications, but I'd have thought if you were asking for millions of pounds to fund building something then the location of where that building was going to be would be quite an important part of the application rather than just casually saying "it will be somewhere around here".

Accept it was very early stages though and that those details would have followed along with planning applications etc.... had it been moved forward.

On a side note I'm really disappointed that Alan did not forward the membership details for the 1877 club to the football club.

This whole beef has nothing to do with the 240 members of the 1877 who diligently pay our monthly fees to use that facility.

I get he's hurt but you don't take that out on fellow supporters who have absolutely nothing to do with this bun fight.

2 hours ago, Div said:

With John Needham and other board members in attendance, it will no doubt be a topic of discussion at the SMISA meeting on Wednesday night, but I doubt we'll hear anything public from the club again regarding the matter.

If "Mr St Mirren" continues to get a Herald journalist to do his bidding for him and looks to orchestrate legal action against the club then that's his perogative.

Edited by Buttocks Brown

I'm totally bored by the entire situation.

No surprise the cooncil are making a rip roaring James Hunt of it too.

I voted against The Kibble getting involved, so I'm not really bothered whether they remain or they get ousted.

If you look around at most other clubs, there's always some sort of issue doing the rounds, which opposition fans couldn't give a toss about, much like our current situation.

The only reason anyone outside the club is aware of the current situation, is because a petulant little nobody, who has displayed levels of self-aggrandisement previously unbeknown to humankind, has gone crying to the press.

My major worry is that Robinson and/or Lasley get an offer from elsewhere, look at children arguing in the playground, and eff off to the aforementioned elsewhere.

Edited by FTOF

1 hour ago, Div said:

On a side note I'm really disappointed that Alan did not forward the membership details for the 1877 club to the football club.

This whole beef has nothing to do with the 240 members of the 1877 who diligently pay our monthly fees to use that facility.

I get he's hurt but you don't take that out on fellow supporters who have absolutely nothing to do with this bun fight.

I don’t fully understand how this 1877 club operates its membership but could there be a GDPR issue that he needs to inform all members before handing over their details? 
What a sorry situation and this is clearly causing division between supporters which is nothing to do with them - be that SMISA, 1877 members or anyone who supports the football team. 

1 hour ago, FTOF said:

I'm totally bored by the entire situation.

No surprise the cooncil are making a rip roaring James Hunt of it too.

I voted against The Kibble getting involved, so I'm not really bothered whether they remain or they get ousted.

If you look around at most other clubs, there's always some sort of issue doing the rounds, which opposition fans couldn't give a toss about, much like our current situation.

The only reason anyone outside the club is aware of the current situation, is because a petulant little nobody, who has displayed levels of self-aggrandisement previously unbeknown to humankind, has gone crying to the press.

My major worry is that Robinson and/or Lasley get an offer from elsewhere, look at children arguing in the playground, and eff off to the aforementioned elsewhere.

Absolutely, it's also a bit hard not to wonder if the guys causing all this wouldn't be fine with that, getting us back in our place, like the good old days, the way things should be. 1 year contracts, cheapest manager we can get, budget for 11th, get W7 back as the overflow for OF fans and the away end when we are back in the championship, sell any decent player that happens to come along to the first bidder with no replacement. Never try and build anything, never try and improve.

On 13/05/2023 at 11:14, djchapsticks said:

Being a die hard does not make you infallible or above criticism.

As for 'throwing the dummy out', please describe what 'If I'm not allowed into my 1877, no-one is' if not throwing the dummy.

I don't know Alan Wardrop personally only through my dealings with him for the 1877 club. On that he has been very helpful going beyond what he has too . For me it is totally wrong to ban Alan. I have seen a section of W7 outside our ground starting fights . They came to attack me and a friend until they realised we were Saints supporters. That's who should be getting bans Ned's giving our club a bad name .  Personally I would like to see a complete removal of all directors SMISA and Kibble and a completely new board in place . It won't happen but I would vote for it if a vote ever came up.  Both camps have made stupid mistakes it's not a one sided situation. 

1 hour ago, GAD said:

Absolutely, it's also a bit hard not to wonder if the guys causing all this wouldn't be fine with that, getting us back in our place, like the good old days, the way things should be. 1 year contracts, cheapest manager we can get, budget for 11th, get W7 back as the overflow for OF fans and the away end when we are back in the championship, sell any decent player that happens to come along to the first bidder with no replacement. Never try and build anything, never try and improve.

That did occur to me too; though I'd hate to think that anywhere in this is some kind of jealousy about how much better the club seems to be being run on and off the park these days.

Thing is for all the complaints there have been about the supposedly negative influence of the Kibble, to outward appearances the club is in a better place post over pre Kibble.

41 minutes ago, Bobby_F said:

That did occur to me too; though I'd hate to think that anywhere in this is some kind of jealousy about how much better the club seems to be being run on and off the park these days.

There's no doubt a strong dislike of certain board members, particularly Jim Gillespie is a major factor here.

People have used and are using SMISA as a vehicle to play out their personal animosities. Their aim is not to work constructively with SMFC but to seed distrust of the board and Kibble for their own ends. You could say that the organisation has been hijacked but they're getting voted in by SMISA members. No great surprise as they've been closely associated with the club for a long time so have a certain authority. Tough for your average, "Mr A. Saintsfan" running beside them.

Such a situation occurring is not something you could have foreseen when SMISA came into being, but it's where we are at this moment in time. Unfortunately.

Edited by Buttocks Brown

1 hour ago, Buttocks Brown said:

There's no doubt a strong dislike of certain board members, particularly Jim Gillespie is a major factor here.

People have used and are using SMISA as a vehicle to play out their personal animosities. Their aim is not to work constructively with SMFC but to seed distrust of the board and Kibble for their own ends. You could say that the organisation has been hijacked but they're getting voted in by SMISA members. No great surprise as they've been closely associated with the club for a long time so have a certain authority. Tough for your average, "Mr A. Saintsfan" running beside them.

Such a situation occurring is not something you could have foreseen when SMISA came into being, but it's where we are at this moment in time. Unfortunately.

Like a lot of things in society these days, there seems to be a polarisation of the whole argument, mud being slung and a lack of objectivity and balance on both sides.

I think there is a lack of trust of Kibble, presumably because the "whats in it for them" question has never been adequately answered.

For me, far too many things have happened since Kibble became involved, without adequate explanation, and public statements from the Board and SMISA about disagreements with Kibble but no other details that just fuel this mistrust, which makes me think we cant just pretend there is nothing to see here.

The Kibble / St Mirren partnership should work great, but not if there is a lack of transparency or trust on one or both sides.

What would be helpful here is if we could have some sort of adult conversation rather than the shrieking toddlers who are currently involved on both sides.

Perhaps we might get transparency on Wednesday night, though that might be as likely as us winning our last three league games and qualifying for Europe.

1 hour ago, Hendo said:

I think there is a lack of trust of Kibble, presumably because the "whats in it for them" question has never been adequately answered.

Again, to me though, this mistrust is a personal thing, more about Jim Gillespie and Mark McMillan than about Kibble itself. 

What is it? A 160 year old charity who help traumatised young people. They want to collaborate with St Mirren as we're a huge part of the community so can help them achieve that aim. This isn't Craig Whyte or Reg Brearley we're cosying up to.

So maybe Gillespie and McMillan aren't "St Mirren men" and might actually support other teams..... Big deal. I'm pretty sure Stephen Robinson wasn't at Forthbank in 1997. 

3 hours ago, Buttocks Brown said:

I don't think St Mirren Charitable Foundation being used to raise cash without their knowledge is normal. Now add in Kibble blaming Renfrewshire council for mistakingly shading in land owned by the club to be built on. Now Renfrewshire council saying it has nothing to do with them in fact it came from kibble . All very murky your guaranteed this won't go away any time soon with legal advice now on the case. Blow up your own house. 

I can’t remember the last time we were in the Premier League and had the chance to play kids at the end of the season for a bit of game time but we are here now.

1 point from 9 has ended our season BUT what a season it has been.

I started following Saints in 86 and seasons like this have been few and far between.

Time to enjoy it and watch the sales of Pampers rocket for a few teams fighting to stay up.