The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Just now, GAD said:

I think there are a lot of people now starting to ask similar questions about SMISA. Do we think these guys are going to use the money we donate each month for the good of the club, or to massage some egos and chase petty vendettas?

Yeah I think that is also fair comment.

I like John Needham a lot, great guy, but I'm surprised and disappointed to see his name at the bottom of a latter like that sent to Alan Wardrop tbh.

Wasn't that long ago that there was a witch hunt to get JN off the board as well!

2 minutes ago, GAD said:

I think there are a lot of people now starting to ask similar questions about SMISA. Do we think these guys are going to use the money we donate each month for the good of the club, or to massage some egos and chase petty vendettas?

It’s quite clear where the SMISA membership monies go. They have been very clear on that breakdown which was a result of a members vote. 
They certainly don’t go towards any elected volunteers.

Your agenda seems to be to encourage people to cancel their SMISA direct debits. What exactly does that accomplish?
This matter should have been clear from initial Kibble-Council-St Mirren led proposal/application to all involved parties and agreed at relevant board level.

This whole issue as far as I can tell is not as a result of “SMISA egos and vendettas”. 

7 minutes ago, Div said:

I like John Needham a lot, great guy, but I'm surprised and disappointed to see his name at the bottom of a latter like that sent to Alan Wardrop tbh.

Wasn't that long ago that there was a witch hunt to get JN off the board as well!

I had heard rumours that SMISA fought hard to maintain him as chair as Kibble wanted him out.

3 hours ago, Biscuits said:

So bored of all this now

It's so tedious, I don't understand it at all, and I don't want to understand it. Feel like no one involved is coming out of this looking good. 

17 minutes ago, Molotov said:

It’s quite clear where the SMISA membership monies go. They have been very clear on that breakdown which was a result of a members vote. 
They certainly don’t go towards any elected volunteers.

Your agenda seems to be to encourage people to cancel their SMISA direct debits. What exactly does that accomplish?
This matter should have been clear from initial Kibble-Council-St Mirren led proposal/application to all involved parties and agreed at relevant board level.

This whole issue as far as I can tell is not as a result of “SMISA egos and vendettas”. 

I don't have an agenda, I've been in Smisa since buy the buds was launched and still am. However, how are the people wishing to join the Smisa board with the stated aim of attacking kibble and buying them out supposed to achieve this without using the money from DDs?

It is distasteful at best for people who have an axe to grind with others dragging the club into their shabby wee intrigues.

Like many others, I can't get overly excited about this one way or another, but I do resent the wellbeing and stability of the club being jeopardised by petty squabbles and ridiculous dick-waving antics.

6 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Pleased to see the young lad get an extension.  I've know him, through my own son, since they were at nursery together, and he's an absolute credit to his Mum.

Edited by Peil

16 minutes ago, Peil said:

Pleased to see the young lad get an extension.  I've know him, through my own son, since they were at nursery together, and he's an absolute credit to his Mum.

Glad he's staying on as well. He's a bit of a bruiser for such a young lad and could quite easily rough up a few opposition defences late on.

43 minutes ago, SS77 said:

Quote from the pre match presser from the manager - couldn’t put it better myself.

IMG_7923.jpeg

That reads very much as the playing side calling for this to stop immediately. Robbo is 100% correct and if the main protagonists can't see this is doing nothing but harm then imo they shouldn't be anywhere near the board(s). Tomorrow is surely do or die, a huge day for everyone connected to the club and for this to erupt on the eve of such a match is quite frankly pathetic. 

Easy to forget amongst all the noise that the application in question was rejected 4 months ago. It's completely done. Finished. 

You can understand Robinson's frustration. Still in with a shout of European football for the first time in 35 years and an ex-director chooses this moment to launch a full frontal attack on the club. And over what? Planning permission for a project which isn't even going to happen anyway. It's absolutely crazy. 

Stewart Gilmour, Alan and co. seem to think they've finally got the smoking gun to prove that Jim Gillespie and Kibble are evildoers intent on bringing down St Mirren. I think they should have held on until the ground was sold to Aldi behind the other directors back or something equally sensational. "Shaded areas" and "wellbeing centres", "people should have been consulted" blah blah blah.... FFS it's such boring, small potato stuff.

Anyway, is there a game of football tomorrow?

Edited by Buttocks Brown

Anyway, Robinson puts it better than any of us when he says enough of all this shite. 

What's people's thoughts on the summer - the squad rebuild is already beginning in earnest it looks likes so who will go, who will be sold? How many do we need in terms of personnel and positions?

For me, I think Main, Dunne, Henderson, Tait, Brophy and Olusanya are all certs to go. Shaughnessy 50/50 at this point too. On top of this, I could definitely see Baccus or Strain being sold on if the right offer comes in. Then Watt and Small will go back to their parent clubs.

I also do get the feeling that certain players will be dropping back to squad players next season rather than regulars. Tanser, Fraser, Kiltie are the three I think will be mainly in this category.

As for players here, I reckon Boyd-Munce will get extended as we have the option on him and Robinson did say that this time would be used to get him up to fitness.

Jamieson, Fraser Taylor, Murray Campbell and CBM will be used more regularly next season.

For me that would leave us needing:

A right back (I've seen a few folk suggesting we may go back in the Newport lad we missed out on last season)

A left back - Lewis Strapp been mentioned by a few supporters - is he good enough to make the step up a division?

One, maybe two centre halves - Bid apparently already tabled for Bedeau, I can see another on top of him to be a regular starter in place of Marcus Fraser

One holding/defensive mid - Sule linked heavily from Larne

Attacking minded mid - Always needing that bit of creativity to unlock a defence

Two forwards - Linked currently with Kieran Bowie, Cole Stockton and of course the question remains of whether Watt will stay permanently.

So I make that 7 or 8 new faces in and somewhere between 7 and 10 on the way out. There will certainly be a few left-field signings though just like Baccus and Strain last season. If there isn't then our recruitment dude probably isn't doing his job!

Apologies if I've missed someone posting this already amongst the numerous posts generated by the behaviour of an attention seeking arsehole, but apparently we've made a five figure offer for Jacob Bedeau.

Apologies just noticed DJC's post before mine.🤦‍♂️

Edited by FTOF

22 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Anyway, Robinson puts it better than any of us when he says enough of all this shite. 

What's people's thoughts on the summer - the squad rebuild is already beginning in earnest it looks likes so who will go, who will be sold? How many do we need in terms of personnel and positions?

For me, I think Main, Dunne, Henderson, Tait, Brophy and Olusanya are all certs to go. Shaughnessy 50/50 at this point too. On top of this, I could definitely see Baccus or Strain being sold on if the right offer comes in. Then Watt and Small will go back to their parent clubs.

I also do get the feeling that certain players will be dropping back to squad players next season rather than regulars. Tanser, Fraser, Kiltie are the three I think will be mainly in this category.

As for players here, I reckon Boyd-Munce will get extended as we have the option on him and Robinson did say that this time would be used to get him up to fitness.

Jamieson, Fraser Taylor, Murray Campbell and CBM will be used more regularly next season.

For me that would leave us needing:

A right back (I've seen a few folk suggesting we may go back in the Newport lad we missed out on last season)

A left back - Lewis Strapp been mentioned by a few supporters - is he good enough to make the step up a division?

One, maybe two centre halves - Bid apparently already tabled for Bedeau, I can see another on top of him to be a regular starter in place of Marcus Fraser

One holding/defensive mid - Sule linked heavily from Larne

Attacking minded mid - Always needing that bit of creativity to unlock a defence

Two forwards - Linked currently with Kieran Bowie, Cole Stockton and of course the question remains of whether Watt will stay permanently.

So I make that 7 or 8 new faces in and somewhere between 7 and 10 on the way out. There will certainly be a few left-field signings though just like Baccus and Strain last season. If there isn't then our recruitment dude probably isn't doing his job!

Stockton linked with Lincoln and Derby. I doubt we could better either financially unfortunately. 

7 hours ago, Div said:

I also like JN. Don’t know him from Adam, but I get the impression he’s one of us. (If you didn’t giggle at his squinty bridge comment, you’re not a buddie). 
However, I’m quite pissed off with Alan Wardrobe, but to ban him from the stadium is OTT. He’s definitely gone too far on a non story, but everybody has a right to make a tit of themselves.
This nonsense really takes the shine off a great year, so please sort it out so we can hopefully enjoy being top 6 for the first time ever (in the modern era - for the pedants)😉 

32 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

I can’t see Watt returning.

I can't either. 

I like the thought that we look maybe a bit further afield. 

The EU made getting work permits for mostly substandard European journeymen a piece of piss. The flipside of such a convenient market being a lot more difficult to operate in now is that players from markets usually neglected through inconvenience have as much potential to get players from now as Europe.

We scouted an Israeli club for Strain and Aussie for Baccus.