The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

If a UEFA licence is dependant on filing accounts, tax returns, and general financial affairs, how in the name of fcuk did Rangers and The Rangers ever get past Renfrewshire International Airport without a UEFA representative throwing themselves in front of their speeding plane?

If Livingston get 7 figures for Nouble I will be astonished. He's a decent player and does offer something different but his goalscoring record must be worse than Main's and certainly worse than Ayunga's on minutes played.

He would be a reasonable addition to the squad but absolutely not someone I would break the bank for. A fit (and I realise that's the problem) Eamon Brophy will score more goals than Joel Nouble.

1 hour ago, AW saint said:

Players come and go. Most of us would have driven Main to his next club before this season. 

I would love him to stay but I trust Robbo. Getting the manager to stay is a must

This. It’s been a long, long time since I thought we could hold onto players, and I no longer worry about it. If they, and their agents, want to move, they’ll move. Nothing we can do but wish them well (if they did us a turn), and not give a flying fcuk if they were pants.

3 hours ago, houston_bud said:

If Livingston get 7 figures for Nouble I will be astonished. He's a decent player and does offer something different but his goalscoring record must be worse than Main's and certainly worse than Ayunga's on minutes played.

He would be a reasonable addition to the squad but absolutely not someone I would break the bank for. A fit (and I realise that's the problem) Eamon Brophy will score more goals than Joel Nouble.

Why are you comparing a winger to centre forwards?

12 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Why are you comparing a winger to centre forwards?

Because a couple of folk on the thread had suggested he'd be a good replacement for Main.

I'm not sure I'd say Nouble was a winger in the conventional sense. He's listed as a striker on Livingston's website. Strikes me as someone who could play anywhere across the front three, but I dare say you'll have a more detailed knowledge of his career.

I fucking love Curtis Main but wouldn't be overly worried if he moved on. Guy has absolutely bust a gut for us and would leave with his head held high. Wouldn't begrudge him a final payday if he can get it. Many might disagree but I think he and Ayunga are too similar to be a complementary partnership. 

As for Dunne, he would be missed, but if there's even a chance we're going to a 4-3-3 next season then it places less of a premium on a left sided CB.

11 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

Because a couple of folk on the thread had suggested he'd be a good replacement for Main.

I'm not sure I'd say Nouble was a winger in the conventional sense. He's listed as a striker on Livingston's website. Strikes me as someone who could play anywhere across the front three, but I dare say you'll have a more detailed knowledge of his career.

I think hes only ever been any use off the left wing, in a front 3, tbh. Even at Arbroath he was playing off a striker. If anything he'd only be worth signing to play alongside Main.

FWIW i think Main will be a bigger miss than folk think. A striker who can play up front alone and be a real, physical, focal point is key for this league i reckon. He gets a hard time (admittedly not from your own support who seem in the main to appreciate him) but he'll be one you'll only real miss when hes not there.

Replacing him well will be a tough job.

4 hours ago, pozbaird said:

If a UEFA licence is dependant on filing accounts, tax returns, and general financial affairs, how in the name of fcuk did Rangers and The Rangers ever get past Renfrewshire International Airport without a UEFA representative throwing themselves in front of their speeding plane?

Celtic AGM thread for questions like this.

The actual answer is that since Former Rangers disputed that they owed the money it didn't violate the rules.  I think Sevco have always published their accounts on time with the usual laugh about how much money they are losing and working out when the directors need to pump in another round of funding.

14 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I think hes only ever been any use off the left wing, in a front 3, tbh. Even at Arbroath he was playing off a striker. If anything he'd only be worth signing to play alongside Main.

FWIW i think Main will be a bigger miss than folk think. A striker who can play up front alone and be a real, physical, focal point is key for this league i reckon. He gets a hard time (admittedly not from your own support who seem in the main to appreciate him) but he'll be one you'll only real miss when hes not there.

Replacing him well will be a tough job.

Main has been integral to the way we play this season. 

Whether or not this means Robinson will now have to change the style a bit to adapt with life without him next season.

A bit of the unknown for next season already now. Will we get Watt in, will we shift Brophy on, will Ayunga come back as good as he was pre-injury. Key area of the pitch too.

7 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

You possibly might be able to make a more informed guess at it than me, but how comparable are Brophy and Watts wages to each other? I can’t imagine we are paying anyone at the club more than say £2.5k p/w, and I did hear rumours from some that Brophy was the highest paid at the club. Not a clue what Watt is earning at Dundee United? 3/4/5k per week?

With those back of a fag packet salary calculations it seems unlikely that we would be able to sign Watt permanently, unless he was willing to take a drop in pay along with us stretching our wage structure. 

Brophy is on a good bit more than £2.5K a week I believe.

Not a clue how much Watt is on at Utd but I can't imagine it's a wage we could compete with on a longer term deal. No idea what the arrangement has been over the duration of the loan.

I'm not totally convinced he's burned his bridges with Utd, there could be a route back into favour if Goodwin gets the gig there permanently.

Either way we are set for a Summer of change again and that's just the way it is these days.

I'd imagine we will see most if not all of the following moving on;

Tait
Shags
Chilli D
Tanser
Flynn
Henderson
Jamieson
Brophy
Main

Small and Watt will also return to their parent clubs at least initially.

Richard Taylor and Caolan Boyd-Munce are also out of contract.

Can't imagine we will be hard to deal with if anyone wants Olusanya either.

So we could feasibly be looking at anything up to 13 departures!

3 minutes ago, Div said:

Not a clue how much Watt is on at Utd but I can't imagine it's a wage we could compete with on a longer term deal. No idea what the arrangement has been over the duration of the loan.

I'm not totally convinced he's burned his bridges with Utd, there could be a route back into favour if Goodwin gets the gig there permanently.

Either way we are set for a Summer of change again and that's just the way it is these days.

Tait
Shags
Chilli D
Tanser
Flynn
Henderson
Jamieson
Brophy
Main

Of that list, I think Boyd-Munce will definitely stay as he's a bit of a project, I can also see Flynn remaining in a coaching variety of some sort.

25 minutes ago, Div said:

That does surprise me slightly, I didn’t think we would be paying those sort of wages. I suppose if you want to have a team capable of achieving top 6 then it shouldn’t really be a surprise but I always thought the board were very strict with regards to working within the wage structure. 

Must be said that Brophy can only be regarded as a terrible bit of business by the club, admittedly at the time I’m sure everyone was hoping for a better return for our substantial outlay. I assume Ross County are covering 100% of his wages whilst he’s on loan? 

7 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

That does surprise me slightly, I didn’t think we would be paying those sort of wages. 

You realise that folk saying St Mirren were using the Covid loan money on their playing squad wasnt a joke, right?

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

You realise that folk saying St Mirren were using the Covid loan money on their playing squad wasnt a joke, right?

That must have passed me by I genuinely can’t remember anything about that. I know we took the Covid loan as did almost every other team, but if it was spent on inflated wages for guys like Brophy then it’s pretty reckless of the board. 

1 hour ago, Div said:

Tait
Shags
Chilli D
Tanser
Flynn
Henderson
Jamieson
Brophy
Main

Good summary and only Main and Dunne are big loses unless Watt suddenly scores loads.

It's scary depending how it might work out, but it's also a real opportunity. 

SR and KL's success in bringing in players so far has been more than decent. However, the standard is higher now as are the expectations. I simply hope we are ahead of the game and have guys lined up who will come in early rather than later on.

On the plus side we should have more in the wage budget.

There's also the possibility that Baccus and/or Strain could go.

TBF, anyone could go. We can’t refuse a good offer for any player, but I think most of the first team will stay because it seems like a there’s a good spirit in the dressing room and they like what the manager is doing. 
Success breeds success, if we lose players I’m confident we’ll bring in people as good if not better. In SR we trust