The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

1 hour ago, iceblink said:

Its sometimes not possible to give all home teams an equal number of home and away games, and this happens if a team expected to make the top 6 fails.  I think only us and Celtic have played 17 home games and the others 16. There would be uproar if Celtic got and extra home game, so maybe we would get it? This post is being posted with a fine wine in hand😁

Aberdeen play Rangers at home tomorrow, at which point there will be 3 teams who have played 17 home games, and 3 teams who have played 16. Therefore everyone will get their 19 home games.

1 hour ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Mixed emotions. Delighted to have got the top 6 monkey off our back.

Can't help but feel in a few weeks we'll be looking back to this afternoon and kicking ourselves though.

Not that we have any god given right to beat Killie.

Straight shootout between us and Hibs for 5th over the next 5 games and see where that takes us. 

Not for me. If we'd pulled a performance like we did against Motherwell on day one and peppered Killie, losing a snidey goal on the break and finding a keeper in all sorts of heroic form, I'd tend to agree.

But we were soundly beaten today by a team who wanted it more and showed up when the cards were on the table. No complaints on that front from me, I won't be looking back and saying 'what if'.

There are two things that give me a bit of solace going into this home stretch:

1) The week off - you feel with the late collapse last week and the no-show today, the players probably need a bit of space and this break of a week has come probably at a really beneficial time for us. Hearts looked good today (albeit against dreadful opposition) but have still not been in strong form and Hibs have also been shaky so there's still plenty to play for with everyone still to meet everyone else.

2) I strangely feel more comfortable watching us playing teams like Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen than St. Johnstone, Killie and Ross County as the onus is on them to come at us and break us down. We willfully surrender a lot of possession to play to our strengths but when we have the lion's share of the ball, we're just not at the races as much. The last 5 games are going to be 30-35% possession showings in every game and I'm much more comfortable with that as it has turned up the best results for us this season. We're pretty efficient when we don't have the ball as what little we do have with it, we make work. It's when you give us the ball and let us have a wee think that everything goes tits up it seems.

Edited by djchapsticks

3 hours ago, pozbaird said:

Nope. Best thing about the day was the flag display in the West Stand. On the field, a day to forget, and a match I never want to see again. Hoofball in a gusty wind with any football coming from Kilmarnock. 

Still made top six though, so we move on. Phew, etc,

Cheers just watched the highlights on Sportscence rather than the whole game. Still getting in the top six is a fantastic achievement for a club our size. Hope Robinson signs his new deal. Hope it's shit a Hearts fan told me he is one with a few others on the Hearts list. 

4 hours ago, Molotov said:

Quite an achievement going through the thread looking for negative vibes! 
Take a bow 🙇🏽‍♂️
Enjoy your night! 😂 

Negative vibes?

Hardly.

Just individuals that really should think before they post.

That's me being kind.

14 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Negative vibes?

Hardly.

Just individuals that really should think before they post.

That's me being kind.

Anti climax at worst given the hype.  

Many fans forgetting we got to the 6th best placed team in the country over a season. 

Now we have 5 games , albeit difficult to turn a very good season into a great one.

Hopefully the fixtures are kind to us.

4 minutes ago, Munoz said:

Anti climax at worst given the hype.  

Many fans forgetting we got to the 6th best placed team in the country over a season. 

Now we have 5 games , albeit difficult to turn a very good season into a great one.

Hopefully the fixtures are kind to us.

Sellick away, Rangers (2012) at home and one home game from one of the other three.

9 hours ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Worth mentioning I think that we've achieved top 6 in, on paper, the strongest Premier League for a decade.

Prior to 22/23, there were 10 seasons in a row where at least one of Rangers, Hearts, Hibs, Dundee Utd or Kilmarnock were out of the league.

Only if you're going off club name.

Hibs, United and Aberdeen have all had abysmal spells while Kilmarnock have only won one away game all season. 

I cant remember a league season where so many teams have had huge winless runs yet are still comfortably safe.

Buzzing to reach the top six, had that feeling we were going to St Mirren it, but luck and that big win at Hearts got us there!

finally watched the goals back this morning…very uncharacteristic from us. Think Declan needing to come back in for the last 5 games - strongest team on the park, etc. 

5 minutes ago, Molotov said:

@RandomGuy. 

I wonder if St Mirren’s defeat yesterday could be a result that has a major impact on where you ultimately finish. 

Alan Main is still a cnut! 

😂 

It could be, especially now Killie have the monkey off their back in away games.

7 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

It could be, especially now Killie have the monkey off their back in away games.

They really did nothing special. Power MOTM in midfield but St Mirren unfortunately never got going. It was a missed opportunity to stay in touching distance of Hearts and Aberdeen.

I am just pleased the results that mattered for us were Livingston at home and Hearts away which secured the top 6 in hindsight.

It was a difficult watch yesterday. Right through the team from Curtis Main, to Gogic, Dunne etc we were just not at it. I don't think Killie were that great we just didnt turn up. 

5 more cup finals to go. Got to hope the players push themselves to finish strongly

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Only if you're going off club name.

Hibs, United and Aberdeen have all had abysmal spells while Kilmarnock have only won one away game all season. 

I cant remember a league season where so many teams have had huge winless runs yet are still comfortably safe.

We are 6th with 44 points. I may be wrong, but I'm sure that's more than the 6th placed team has had for a few seasons at least.

5 minutes ago, GAD said:

We are 6th with 44 points. I may be wrong, but I'm sure that's more than the 6th placed team has had for a few seasons at least.

18/19 the last time, when 6th had 50. Since then its always been 40 at least.

This season has seen 3 of the top 6 sack their managers for shite form, something i cant remember happening before, so its not surprising teams everywhere are getting more points. 

St Mirren this season should be applauded for not having a shite run, and finishing as one of the best 6 sides in the country is always an achievement, but trying to make it seem even better for no reason by claiming the leagues been really strong this season is just wrong and weird. 

41 minutes ago, AW saint said:

It was a difficult watch yesterday. Right through the team from Curtis Main, to Gogic, Dunne etc we were just not at it. I don't think Killie were that great we just didnt turn up. 

5 more cup finals to go. Got to hope the players push themselves to finish strongly

Got to agree. We have bottled a few great opportunities in recent weeks by losing points to bottom 6 clubs which were there for the taking.

Just hope we do well in these remaining games... doubt we'll catch Hearts or the Dons

This season we have defeated Hibs, Aberdeen, Hearts and Celtic so I am not writing us off on anything. Will be extremely difficult to get 3rd but 4th and 5th is achievable. Yesterday was horrendous as the occasion got to the team but if we play like we did against Hearts at Tynecastle the other week we can still get results. Now the pressure is off and no-one expects anything from us we can relax and play our normal game.