The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

4 minutes ago, Bobby_F said:

Whoever is in 6th at the split will absolutely have a shot at 4th or 5th such is the tightness between 4th and 7th.  

Possibly. Because 2/5 games after the split are against the Old Firm it's more difficult to accumulate points. If there's a gap of 4+ points between 5th and 6th at the split then that will be tough to overhaul I think.

2 hours ago, Buttocks Brown said:

£200K is definitely not to be sniffed at. One-upmanship against faceless pseudonyms on fan forums... who cares.

Totally selfish, but I'm just after a bit of entertainment on Saturdays through April and May. If we're off the European places (and we won't be going down) then I'd look forward to games against the likes of United and Killie with both in full squeaky bum mode. Rangers and Hearts visiting in nothing games....not so much.

I was going to make a comment about extra revenue from away fans but I'd forgotten that St Mirren have taken the extra stand away from both Rangers and Celtic (admirably so, credit to filling it out and increasing attendances). For a team like Livi it's the difference between a home game v County (60 away fans yesterday) and about 7k rabid orcs. On average it's another 175k for us on that game alone, Hibs and Hearts probably bringing a chunk more than the others too. There's a bigger swing for us to to the tune of the 200k+300-400k attendance boost cash. Difference between us offering guys like Devlin/Holt new deals etc. 

League seems fairly tight so you'd imagine whoever gets 6th is in with a shout of Europe in 5th which is surely the ceiling clubs like Livi/St Mirren have to aim for these days.

3 hours ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Possibly. Because 2/5 games after the split are against the Old Firm it's more difficult to accumulate points. If there's a gap of 4+ points between 5th and 6th at the split then that will be tough to overhaul I think.

I see what you’re saying, but you’re also playing the teams you’re competing against for that place.

So removing the OF, you have 3 6 pointers.

There’s also the likelihood that the league will be over with at least 3 games to play, and so the OF become less formidable in those games if they have nothing to play for.

So a big part of 3rd-6th could be determined by who is unlucky enough to get the OF in games 1-2.

Surely even if you take all financials out of it, the aim of St Mirren, or anyone really, should be to finish as high as you can. So, why would anyone want us to finish 7th rather than 6th? To take part in games against possibly doomed clubs like Dundee United or Killie because it’ll matter to them? Nah, count me out. Give me Top 6 Tony and send guys like O’Hara, Baccus & Strain out with no shackles whatsoever placed upon them to ‘keep it tight’ against an ugly. I’d quite happily let Killie and Dundee United clart their nappies against each other while we watch on from a position of guaranteed safety and our BoD lighting up a Hamlet cigar.

40 minutes ago, Bobby_F said:

I see what you’re saying, but you’re also playing the teams you’re competing against for that place.

So removing the OF, you have 3 6 pointers.

There’s also the likelihood that the league will be over with at least 3 games to play, and so the OF become less formidable in those games if they have nothing to play for.

So a big part of 3rd-6th could be determined by who is unlucky enough to get the OF in games 1-2.

Yeah, there are all sorts of permutations.

Looking at the table now though we're Livi -1, Hibs -2, Aberdeen -3 and St Mirren have probably the toughest set of fixtures pre-split.

If games go as the bookies would call them then we'd likely be 6 points behind both Hibs and Aberdeen at the split. 

I'd say that to have a chance of Europe then the absolute minimum requirement is 2 wins out of LIVINGSTON, Rangers, Hearts, KILMARNOCK. Challenging but not impossible. Can probably forget it though if we don't beat Livi.

Edited by Buttocks Brown

7 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Surely even if you take all financials out of it, the aim of St Mirren, or anyone really, should be to finish as high as you can. So, why would anyone want us to finish 7th rather than 6th? To take part in games against possibly doomed clubs like Dundee United or Killie because it’ll matter to them? 

Each to their own. Football is entertainment to me.

If we were marooned in 6th and there was a dead rubber against Rangers at 12 o'clock on a Sunday then I'd probably be looking for excuses not to go. A team coming to Paisley though and having to win to stay up or avoid a play-off.... I'd use my season ticket for that.

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

Ryan Strain been called up. Well deserved.

Extremely well deserved. He was unfortunate to miss out on being part of the World Cup squad and I think the Australian manager had picked largely the same team that was called up for Qatar, but good to see that Strains performances have been acknowledged now that a couple of guys have dropped out. 

7 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

Extremely well deserved. He was unfortunate to miss out on being part of the World Cup squad and I think the Australian manager had picked largely the same team that was called up for Qatar, but good to see that Strains performances have been acknowledged now that a couple of guys have dropped out. 

Yeah, think it's billed as a couple of Homecoming matches to celebrate the squad who got out of the groups and gave the eventual World champions a real scare, so made sense that it would be the same squad picked initially.

Just now, SS77 said:

Another new SMISA chairman - this time it’s a guy who hasn’t even been voted on to the board. What an embarrassment this has been over the past few months.

I cancelled my smisa payment months ago, it’s a shambles and nothing more than jobs for the boys stuff.

My direct debit money now goes towards a couple of extra kebab pies.

Any chance we can get an explanation from SMiSA as to what the hell is going on? That's the third chairman (at least) to leave in less than a year, and now it seems the temporary one is a guy that wasn't even elected? Farce.

Apologies if the outgoing one has genuine personal reasons for going but the whole thing stinks. Seriously considering cancelling my payment.

Edited by Stu

I cancelled mine a few months back as well; I'd been paying in since day 1. I feel bad as I do believe in the fan ownership thing and I don't want to contribute to jeopardising that, but whatever is going on needs to stop.

Edited by Coventry Saint

I genuinely never ever thought this would work it was throwing a few fans together and hope it would work nobody on the same page and this is the results you get .Different opinions don't agree ah f**k it walk away.

15 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I cancelled mine a few months back as well; I'd been paying in since day 1. I feel bad as I do believe in the fab ownership thing and I don't want to contribute to jeopardising that, but whatever is going on needs to stop.

I have just cancelled my membership. What an absolute shambles.

Like others, it is with considerable regret, but to remain a member in these circumstances is to condone and perpetuate the current set up, and I can't do that. Benefit of the doubt applied previously, but a thresholdhas been reached.

Edited by Drooper

19 minutes ago, Stu said:

Any chance we can get an explanation from SMiSA as to what the hell is going on? That's the third chairman (at least) to leave in less than a year, and now it seems the temporary one is a guy that wasn't even elected? Farce.

Apologies if the outgoing one has genuine personal reasons for going but the whole thing stinks. Seriously considering cancelling my payment.

Quite interesting that all the loud demands for transparency and statements have stopped all of a sudden.

11 hours ago, ZingaliMan said:

I don't see us picking up points at tynecastle or ibrox potential 6 points from Livie and Killie will that be enough for top 6 ? 

It depends on other results, that will certainly be the minimum we need.

So the new interim chairman has been put in place, not only unelected but the individual in question was added to the to the board following the last elections (where 4 new board members were already added I might add) without so much as an announcement - rather than the democratic thing of the spot going to the person who placed fifth in the open elections.

I await those who were so vocal about transparency before the last round of elections being just as vocal to the same degree now that their preferred candidate(s) are on the board and apparently just as guilty of keeping things from the larger membership as the previous members of the board that they were so keen to discredit.

Maybe no hold my breath though, eh?

SMISA cannot continue to take people's money and expect not to be questioned about what the f**k is going on. We pay these fees monthly to be kidded onto that we have a voice and then they go and add people into positions without throwing it out to the membership which was the entire premise of paying a monthly fee (which lets be honest, without a vote or any sort of input from the support, is now pretty much redundant given that the club has been bought)