The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

26 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Absolutely stupendous news.

O'Hara once again leading by example as captain, hopefully convinces others to sign on for longer. Getting him tied down to that length of contract is amazing work again by the club.

Do we think Curtis will sign or will he get one more big pay day somewhere else? He will definitely have offers, I'm sure. 

I think Main will extend. He's been a bit of a journeyman and seems to be enjoying his football again. I made the same point about Carson and O'Hara, but seeing other seniors sign will hopefully start a ripple effect.

I'm less confident about Strain, but he does have that family link so maybe sentiment will kick in.

6 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I think Main will extend. He's been a bit of a journeyman and seems to be enjoying his football again. I made the same point about Carson and O'Hara, but seeing other seniors sign will hopefully start a ripple effect.

I'm less confident about Strain, but he does have that family link so maybe sentiment will kick in.

Not convinced we will retain Main unfortunately, he's got an admirer down South.

Main has been excellent this season in many ways but for me he still doesn't score enough - 6 League goals. Van Veen at Motherwell has scored 13 League goals and is also a handful up top. If we were pushing a boat out then I would go for him. I believe he still has another year on his contract and unfortunately Well no longer look like relegation material so probably only wishful thinking. But we need a goal scorer.

17 hours ago, Buttocks Brown said:

I liked the quote in there from JN about the "sugar daddy"- owned v the fan-owned club: the rich benefactor isn't "investing" in anything as he'll never get his money back let alone make it grow.

The Dave Cormacks and Mark Ogrens of the footballing world are, essentially, just making regular donations to their respective football clubs. Hadn't thought about it that way before but it's correct really isn't it? They move on and you just have to cross your fingers that the next guy who owns your club isn't a Craig Whyte.

The likes of ourselves, Motherwell and Hearts should benefit from having a more stable existence in the long term.

For accuracy, you need to include James Anderson in as one of the "sugar daddys".

He is not an owner, but they rely on £££millions of his donations every year to "make a profit".

That may change this season with their Euro cash.

p.s. Happy 10th anniversary lads, there were many pints of cold Schadenfreude sank in Leith that evening 😆

Looks like we are not budgeting for 10th next season again...

Great to see O'Hara signing at his peak.

Losing a few good players each year is OK if we remain solid and keep finding the Jems.

Who is next? We've taken a punt on 2 younger ones, will they make it?

Edited by medals

18 hours ago, Buttocks Brown said:

I liked the quote in there from JN about the "sugar daddy"- owned v the fan-owned club: the rich benefactor isn't "investing" in anything as he'll never get his money back let alone make it grow.

The Dave Cormacks and Mark Ogrens of the footballing world are, essentially, just making regular donations to their respective football clubs. Hadn't thought about it that way before but it's correct really isn't it? They move on and you just have to cross your fingers that the next guy who owns your club isn't a Craig Whyte.

The likes of ourselves, Motherwell and Hearts should benefit from having a more stable existence in the long term.

😂

He bought a training ground. Was on the board years ago and is a life long fan.

1 hour ago, Div said:

Not convinced we will retain Main unfortunately, he's got an admirer down South.

Ah, that'd be a shame, I wasn't aware of that. TBH keep forgetting he's English and might feel the draw to be nearer home. Though I'm not sure anyone actually wants to be nearer Middlesbrough for any reason.

6 hours ago, McG said:

Tremendous news about Ohara, he’s been my player of the year.

Covers every blade of grass and can play as well, brilliant engine.

Have to agree.

So consistent, and the amount of work he does is phenomenal. 

Carson and O'Hara superb business. Would love main and Strain to stay. I am not suprised if there was interest in either player. Both been stand outs this season. Main had done the rounds so fingers crossed he sees sense and stays put. 

32 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Carson and O'Hara superb business. Would love main and Strain to stay. I am not suprised if there was interest in either player. Both been stand outs this season. Main had done the rounds so fingers crossed he sees sense and stays put. 

Be happy for Main to stay but if he doesn't we would still have Ayunga (similar in some ways), Greive and potentially Brophy (if he does not go). Who knows who else we might be after?

Will Watt end up with us?

Think management are doing the right things - if we end up in Europe, that's a whole different cash cow. Let the dreams become reality pleassseee.

1st up 3 points for us tomorrow hopefully. 

https://www.footballinsider247.com/sources-livingston-and-st-mirren-in-race-for-celtic-product-aaron-healy/

Interesting. He only signed for Queen's Park from Arthurlie (who actually picked him up from us) in January and has 4 and a bit years left on his contract, so presumably there would be some sort of release clause.

Also strange that we're looking for a winger given we quite obviously don't play with out-and-out wingers at all, hence Jay Henderson being loaned out unless Robinson is looking at a plan B next season to change shape in certain matches.

Edited by djchapsticks

3 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

https://www.footballinsider247.com/sources-livingston-and-st-mirren-in-race-for-celtic-product-aaron-healy/

Interesting. He only signed for Queen's Park from Arthurlie (who actually picked him up from us) in January and has 4 and a bit years left on his contract, so presumably there would be some sort of release clause.

Also strange that we're looking for a winger given we quite obviously don't play with out-and-out wingers at all, hence Jay Henderson being loaned out unless Robinson is looking at a plan B next season to change shape in certain matches.

Celtic product 😂😂 he left them when he was 12……..I hate the way sports writers have to shove the “arse-cheeks” into every piece of writing but to have that as the headline 🙈

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

Is footballinsider not just a website for agents to peddle stories?

3 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Was chat of him on the west of Scotland forum a few months ago. Was being talked up massively by opposition fans saying he’s one kf the best young  players in recent times to play at that level. 

Think I read somewhere it was his decision to leave us as opposed to us releasing him as he wasn’t enjoying his football - could be completely making that up though …

23 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Our defence today gives me the fear. Big Joe should be starting

Agree but obviously SR doesn't plan keeping Joe and how else does Taylor improve and show us whether he'll be worth keeping?