The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

9 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Having an actual transfer strategy in place.

Offering players new deals before their contracts are up.

signing players with an eye on next season.

Who are this mob and what jave they done with St. Mirren.

Nowhere near as exciting as signing half a dozen, unheard of players from a variety of countries in the days before the window closes though. 

So does this latest signing mean that the utter pish being spouted by Stewart Gilmour and his minions about financial armageddon was indeed utter pish.

I wouldn't have thought a club on the brink of financial collpase would be making signings in March with a view to the following season.

Edited by Shuggie_Murray7

2 hours ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

So does this latest signing mean that the utter pish being spouted by Stewart Gilmour and his minions about financial armageddon was indeed utter pish.

I wouldn't have thought a club on the brink of financial collpase would be making signings in March with a view to the following season.

And is anyone still complaining that we should have budgeted for 10th ?  😃

Listening to the Misery Hunters podcast with Thommo.

Can confirm, that Monday afterwards in the Paisley pubs was legitimately the best Monday of my life. It was a fucking wonderful, chaotic mix of just folk bouncing about in disbelief, led by the team themselves.

The team took a lot of stick at the time for basically chucking it at the end of that season but anyone who experienced that weekend will tell you that the lasting memory isn't what we done in league games against Hamilton or St. Johnstone afterwards, it was all about that final and the celebrations on the day after. Genuinely amazing stuff.

I liked the quote in there from JN about the "sugar daddy"- owned v the fan-owned club: the rich benefactor isn't "investing" in anything as he'll never get his money back let alone make it grow.

The Dave Cormacks and Mark Ogrens of the footballing world are, essentially, just making regular donations to their respective football clubs. Hadn't thought about it that way before but it's correct really isn't it? They move on and you just have to cross your fingers that the next guy who owns your club isn't a Craig Whyte.

The likes of ourselves, Motherwell and Hearts should benefit from having a more stable existence in the long term.

Edited by Buttocks Brown

Just now, Arch Stanton said:

You feel auld, 10 years ago I was still in my 40s!

Aye, its a hard one to get the heid around. Oddly, it seems like more than 20 years ago in some ways. Maybe that's because it was all a bit surreal!

I think I've said since the start of this thread, my ideal midfielder for St. Mirren is someone in the shape of Steve Thomson. A player who is an asset in both boxes and Mark O'Hara has been the first player since Thomson left who has displayed that style of play.

Having O'Hara for another 3 years is absolutely amazing news.

Tremendous start to the weekend!

I kind of can't see it but what I wouldn't give to see the same news about Ryan Strain and Chilli D.

Absolutely stupendous news.

O'Hara once again leading by example as captain, hopefully convinces others to sign on for longer. Getting him tied down to that length of contract is amazing work again by the club.

Do we think Curtis will sign or will he get one more big pay day somewhere else? He will definitely have offers, I'm sure.