The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

10 hours ago, ZingaliMan said:

Robinson expected to be unveiled as Aberdeen manager. Why us how come Motherwell have no problem holding onto Robinson given his success there. Now at Saints hardly time to let the paint dry and Aberdeen come in. My fingers are crossed but I'm sure money talks. Gutted 😞

You really need to stop spending your Saturday evenings drinking paint

16 hours ago, Torfason said:

Watched Killie a few times and Danny Armstrong looks a decent player. Out of contract at the end of the season, so hopefully Robbo is looking at him.

Please don’t he is literally the only attacking option we have that is good enough for this level*.

*will be one level down next season.

8 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

Ahh, Simon Ferry’s Open Goal podcast, the calling card of people with a single figure IQ. Almost exclusively watched by OF fans, and it’s hard to criticise Ferry for that to be fair. The fact that he has managed to assemble a panel where he is by far the most intelligent person is quite an accomplishment given how fucking stupid he is. Kevin Kyle and Paul Slane would make the Paisley Panda look like Nostradamus. 

Some of the older interviews he did were quite good. The likes of Jim Jeffries, Yogi Hughes, the Steven Thomspon one was good too. Guys that had been around a bit and had some stories. It started going down hill when they were putting up 2 hour interviews with the likes of Kyle Lafferty. 

There's obviously a market for it so good luck to them and they all seem decent enough guys.

I would dispute the point that our style of football would be of interest to Aberdeen fans.

I'd say it's perfect for a club like ours, and mostly pretty effective. But for the deluded masses in the North East it wouldn't be what they expect to see, based on a few seasons of success 40 years ago.

8 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

Some of the older interviews he did were quite good. The likes of Jim Jeffries, Yogi Hughes, the Steven Thomspon one was good too. Guys that had been around a bit and had some stories. It started going down hill when they were putting up 2 hour interviews with the likes of Kyle Lafferty. 

There's obviously a market for it so good luck to them and they all seem decent enough guys.

Aye there was a few early ones that I enjoyed I must admit. The Barry Robson one was a good listen where he was telling stories from the Celtic dressing room with Strachan, Boruc, McGeady etc., and I quite liked his interview with Bobby Madden. The stuff he does on the podcast with Kyle, Halliday, Ferguson, Slane et al., is utter tripe though. Hearing them attempt to speak about teams like St. Mirren, Motherwell etc is an extremely hard listen. Kevin Kyle especially. 

As you say he has done very well for himself, Im sure he’s making a good living off it and enough people enjoy it. Not for me anymore though, I’m not particularly interested in hearing more analysis of the OF when it’s getting forced down your throat from multiple other sources. 

13 hours ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Jak Alnwick sent off on his league debut for Cardiff today. Very similar to his red card v Dundee Utd (I think) last season when he ran out of his box and poleaxed the centre forward.

jak only got his chance because the other keeper got sent off last week.

i have to ask what’s the point in getting sent off in stoppage time when you are 2-0 down?

2 hours ago, houston_bud said:

Any of the interviews Simon does on his own are great - anything with Paul Slane is dreadful though.

17 hours ago, ZingaliMan said:

Robinson expected to be unveiled as Aberdeen manager. Why us how come Motherwell have no problem holding onto Robinson given his success there. Now at Saints hardly time to let the paint dry and Aberdeen come in. My fingers are crossed but I'm sure money talks. Gutted 😞

You really need help

2 hours ago, greenock saint said:

A signing who on paper would make a lot of sense - young, on fringes of national team setup and would be available to play right away.

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

A signing who on paper would make a lot of sense - young, on fringes of national team setup and would be available to play right away.

Folk were moaning we had no budget left, but I've no doubt there is.

Given how stretched we've been recently with injuries it would be ideal if he is good enough, which I suspect he may well be.

Cover for Gogic mainly but weve got Baccus too? Also he wants to be playing loads.

Will he be more than a sub most weeks? 

16 minutes ago, medals said:

Folk were moaning we had no budget left, but I've no doubt there is.

Given how stretched we've been recently with injuries it would be ideal if he is good enough, which I suspect he may well be.

Cover for Gogic mainly but weve got Baccus too? Also he wants to be playing loads.

Will he be more than a sub most weeks? 

From what I've read he plays further up the park than Baccus or Gogic.

We're crying out for a player in the mould of a Connor Ronan - maybe this guy is our attempt at that? 

Four games in Premiership 2 this season, scored one and four assists in those four games so if he can create chances, that would be a huge addition.

I think given the business we did in January there's probably a wee bit more scope for another wage, particularly if the manager feels this one could help get us over the line and secure a place in the top six.

22 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

From what I've read he plays further up the park than Baccus or Gogic.

We're crying out for a player in the mould of a Connor Ronan - maybe this guy is our attempt at that? 

Four games in Premiership 2 this season, scored one and four assists in those four games so if he can create chances, that would be a huge addition.

Be interested to see if we get him and if so how he will be utilised. 

We've not scored enough for sure.

Greive Main and Watt can score but need more chances. Still hoping Watt adds these and hoping it enables 3 points in our next match. 

39 minutes ago, Div said:

I think given the business we did in January there's probably a wee bit more scope for another wage, particularly if the manager feels this one could help get us over the line and secure a place in the top six.

I'd like to think there is a chance of getting this wrapped up this week. 

An ideal time to get another body in for that final push in the remaining games before the split. Something fresh in midfield which could possibly gives us some creativity in midfield we may have been lacking in recent weeks.

Coincidentally Diarmuid O’Carroll joins the NI national set-up at a time when this lad is looking for exposure to boost his national chances with NI. Win win?