The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Can't agree. That clown has let us down and has cost us points a few times this season with his stupidity. Needless red card today caused by his own cockiness and he ruined the day again for our fans.

If his absence at Tannadice means a starting place for Joe Shaunessy we will start stronger than we did today.

Would like Big Joe and Big Dec both play a Tannadice with Gogic in midfield.  Would like to see us maximise our long throws . Greive and Main will stretch them at the back and we,ll have lots of opportunity to ger the ball into the box .

1 hour ago, Kempes said:

Why the need for the huge posts Elvis?

I've always just assumed its his slaver hitting the enter key.

Got to say even if we don't make top 6 I have really enjoyed this season. Our home form has been excellent and we have taken points off of the old firm. 

Robbo has been outstanding and I look forward to seeing how we progress under him. 

I thought we were defending extremely well up until the mistake from Dunne. Having made the mistake he should have rolled the dice and let Kyogo go but in the split second of the moment he's panicked and hauled him down.

At 10 vs 11 it was always going to be an enormous ask. Once the 2nd goal went in we obviously changed shape to 4-3-2 and tried to chase it and ultimately that caused us to lose a few more goals. I guess that was probably a bit naive given how tight the race for the top six is.

Think Shags has been really unlucky not to feature more recently. I know Taylor is left footed but he's not even close to being as competent at the back as Joe is and he also gives us something in the final third with his aeriel threat and his throw in.

Hopefully he gets the nod over Taylor for Tannadice.

17 hours ago, NorthBank said:

Don't suppose there is anything in the news about Celtic fans trashing the North Stand or the singing of sectarian songs?

It's only a tiny minority don't you know. 

Funny that both Utd and Leeds apologized over their fans choice of songs yet the cheeks act with impunity. 

Genuinely refreshing that for once, we're not only offering contracts to players before the season ends (a practice we'd never be undertaking in the days of Gus and to a lesser extent Danny because simply, we wouldn't know what league we are in before game 36 at least) but we're confident enough to be offering players extensions that are put of contract at the end of 2024.

You can talk about progress in terms of tables etc til the cows come home, league placings at our level fall on pretty thin margins. However, getting the club to a level of stability on and off the park, that we're now able to actually do this with a degree of confidence is a testament to the job that Robinson - and Goodwin before him - have done in establishing us as a top flight club rather than one clinging on by its fingernails every year like we were in the 2007-2014 spell .

And as if by magic.

Screenshot_20230310-094609_Twitter.thumb.jpg.4b5f7756de1dc8ca201a35bd1907cef8.jpg

A shite keeper can bring a whole team down. Look at Dundee Utd. We've struck it really lucky over last few years with Hladky, Alnwick and now Carson so delighted he's staying another two years. This will take him to 37 so gives us plenty opportunity to find his eventual replacement in the meantime.

24 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

And as if by magic.

Screenshot_20230310-094609_Twitter.thumb.jpg.4b5f7756de1dc8ca201a35bd1907cef8.jpg

A shite keeper can bring a whole team down. Look at Dundee Utd. We've struck it really lucky over last few years with Hladky, Alnwick and now Carson so delighted he's staying another two years. This will take him to 37 so gives us plenty opportunity to find his eventual replacement in the meantime.

Carson has been tremendous for us, delighted to see him sign up.

Good news with Carson signing for another season, he’s been great for us this season. I doubt it as he will surely move on to bigger & better things but I would love Strain to be signed up long term. I’d imagine Main might be holding out for one last potential payday elsewhere before agreeing anything with us given his age and form this season. 

If we can get Caron, Strain, O'Hara and Main all tied down to new deal that would be unreal news.

They've all been excellent. Our summer additions have been brilliant, but O'Hara has probably been the most consistent of the lot for me. I never really appreaciated how good he was at Motherwell. Definitely someone I over looked for a few years who is far better than I thought he was.

Strain has also been an incredible find.

I'm still in disbelief that Carson plays for us, yet Dundee United have had a goalkeeping crisis all season long. Absolutely mental decision from them.

Edited by Shuggie_Murray7

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

And as if by magic.

Great keeper that I'm glad to see doing well - but even better head of hair he's got on him now - a work of art.

Absolutely tremendous news, that. Plus, sends out a message to the other senior pros. They'll be reassured to see someone of his quality signing up and, assuming they're happy with the numbers, will be more inclined to sign up themselves. I'm buzzing, tbh.