The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

5 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Bizarre appointment given there is no faith being shown on Utd's part. Goodwin is a decent choice if you're going to commit to giving him time and resources to do his job. But they aren't giving him that, they've essentially offered him a 3 month trial period.

He's not the sort of manager who you feel gives a 'new gaffer' bounce. It hasn't happened at any of his previous three jobs, so when you're a typically slow-burner of a starter but you have 12 games and an absolute shambles of a squad inherited without scope to improve and your tactics have lead to some massive defeats recently, you wonder how it could actually go anything other than very wrong.

Fascinating seeing how his first three matches pan out. Dons at home speaks for itself, and they host us in match 3, but with a trip to Livi in between. Always felt like Martindale absolutely had the measure of Goodwin (though he outsmarts a lot of managers, to be fair.)

I posted on the other thread, but the Charlie Mulgrew thing will also be a great watch. Just look at how Jim has handled Considine, Scott Brown and Stephen McGinn. He's clearly trying to bring Mulgrew into the fold but imagine if that doesn't pan out?

I hope we absolutely pump them, obviously. Imagine beating a Goodwin team three times in the same season that we finally beat a Jack Ross team? 

12 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Fascinating seeing how his first three matches pan out. Dons at home speaks for itself, and they host us in match 3, but with a trip to Livi in between. Always felt like Martindale absolutely had the measure of Goodwin (though he outsmarts a lot of managers, to be fair.)

I posted on the other thread, but the Charlie Mulgrew thing will also be a great watch. Just look at how Jim has handled Considine, Scott Brown and Stephen McGinn. He's clearly trying to bring Mulgrew into the fold but imagine if that doesn't pan out?

I hope we absolutely pump them, obviously. Imagine beating a Goodwin team three times in the same season that we finally beat a Jack Ross team? 

I was shocked to see him keep Mulgrew on the coaching team.

17 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Goodwin has a long history of having no time for folk he perceived as 'fucking about' or with a long history of influence on a changing room.

His relationship with Stevie Thompson was apparently always a bit strained by this as Thommo was a daft boy right up until the end, summed up perfectly with him spearing John McGinn. He also didn't get on well with Ethan who he thought was too immature and Ethan clearly never liked him either. Not to mention the three you added.

Mulgrew absolutely fits the mould of player that you'd think Goodwin would have no time for whatsoever, much less actively being part of his management team. This is definitely a decision that has been foisted upon Goodwin rather than him actively seeking it out.

42 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

I reckon Goodwin will be fine save United for the drop then end up getting the gig. What's with Mulgrew hearsay or fact ? 

Mulgrew is a twat: fact 

Mulgrew is now on coaching staff: fact.

Goodwin doesn't get on with players like Mulgrew: fact.

The rest is guesswork but it'll be fun watching it unfold. 🙂

Goodwin has a great big 'Gerrit right up ye' on Mulgrew for the 2013 League Cup semi final victory when both of them gave away a hand-ball penalty (the Goodwin decision was a refereeing outrage, Mulgrew's was hilarious as he almost caught the ball).

Goodwin 1 Mulgrew 0

1 hour ago, ZingaliMan said:

So who is going to play central defence for us tomorrow no Gallagher and no Shaughnessy. Put Gogic in there ? 

Well he did play there last week. So I'd wager that you might be correct.

3 hours ago, AW saint said:

Really cant see Olusanya making it with us. He struggled last night for Arbroath

I was hoping the fact that Arbroath played much of the game with ten men, might have affected his performance.

However, on last night's showing it doesn't look very promising.

4 minutes ago, Doonhame Buddie said:

United’s near-certain relegation should improve our chances of securing Watt on a permanent deal. Assuming the majority of their first team squad will have release clauses in their contracts, would any of them strengthen us?  Levitt maybe?

Goodwin and Mulgrew dream team to the Saints after Robinson takes over from Ange. 

13 minutes ago, Doonhame Buddie said:

United’s near-certain relegation should improve our chances of securing Watt on a permanent deal. Assuming the majority of their first team squad will have release clauses in their contracts, would any of them strengthen us?  Levitt maybe?

Would take McGrath back but it would be the same issue we have with Kiltie, he wouldn't fit in Robinson's team.

Not sure id take Watt in exchange for letting Brophy go but from what folk like Div have said Brophy will be away if we get offers due to his wage. Will Watt be any cheaper?