The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

3 minutes ago, medals said:

He's out injured

Think it was more a general point about people clutching at straws when form drops a little. 

just show’s opinions differ so vastly in our support. Take Dunne for example…I just don’t get the love in. pace digs him out of holes at times but, in my head anyway, we lose more goals at his ‘back post’ area than the other side. I also think his positioning is often why Tanser is all over the shop - but Tanser is the one that gets abuse.

I bet there’s some sort of infographic that shows my opinion is a load of shite though! 

7 minutes ago, aldo_j said:

Think it was more a general point about people clutching at straws when form drops a little. 

just show’s opinions differ so vastly in our support. Take Dunne for example…I just don’t get the love in. pace digs him out of holes at times but, in my head anyway, we lose more goals at his ‘back post’ area than the other side. I also think his positioning is often why Tanser is all over the shop - but Tanser is the one that gets abuse.

I bet there’s some sort of infographic that shows my opinion is a load of shite though! 

Ok. Opinions are just that. 

Dunne is not faultless by any means, but against Motherwell we lost 2 goals down the left without him.

Tanser for me flatters to deceive. His crosses are too often rubbish and he's not the best defensively either. He's also injured a fair bit too. Not sure how many assists he makes but Small has 1 and hasn't played a full match yet.

Hoping Small adds to his tally today and does well defensively. For me Tanser is one of our weak links. But that's just my opinion.

18 hours ago, Div said:

It absolutely should be.

Our game plan is built on a model of at least one big striker, preferably two, with plenty balls into the box and working off 2nd balls.

A front two of Watt and either of Offord or Jamieson is simply not going to give us that.

Putting Joe up there to cause some chaos and win those balls in the box is far from the worst shout as an emergency measure.

And with three strikers ruled out this is very much an emergency.

It wouldn't surprise me to see us change formation for this given we won't have the personnel available to carry out our usual style. Maybe an old fashioned 4-4-2 with Strain and Kiltie on the wings.

Great 3 points but how did we fail to score more goals?

Gallagher out is another blow but hopefully 2 others back quickly.

Watt was fab today, should have opened his account with us; hopefully it'll be in the next match.

5th now, if we finished there it would be quite something.

Felt for big Dec. He clearly pulled his hamstring. He will be missed. 

Thought Kiltie was superb. He was all over the park. Great wee guy. 

Was funny seeing Brophey sitting with the Ross county players. 

Tony Watt is getting better with every game. 

1 hour ago, Doonhame Buddie said:

We need to find a way to get Kiltie into the team every week. 

I'd make an argument for having him play off a single striker when we're away from home. Something has to change when we're on the road, and taking a striker out doesn't necessarily make you less attacking. Putting him in a true number 10 role could really benefit everyone involved.

13 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I'd make an argument for having him play off a single striker when we're away from home. Something has to change when we're on the road, and taking a striker out doesn't necessarily make you less attacking. Putting him in a true number 10 role could really benefit everyone involved.

I thought the all of the midfield were fantastic in the first half, but Kiltie and Flynn fell out of it a wee bit in the 2nd half. Most likely due to limited game time.

O'Hara was superb throughout the game and covered every blade of grass, Definite POTY contender.

Main was equally good and Watt is coming onto a game too.

40 minutes ago, FTOF said:

I thought the all of the midfield were fantastic in the first half, but Kiltie and Flynn fell out of it a wee bit in the 2nd half. Most likely due to limited game time.

O'Hara was superb throughout the game and covered every blade of grass, Definite POTY contender.

Main was equally good and Watt is coming onto a game too.

Quite a battle for St Mirren’s POTY this season. Could make arguments for Main, Strain, Baccus, O’Hara, and a couple of others. Happy days.

1 hour ago, pozbaird said:

Quite a battle for St Mirren’s POTY this season. Could make arguments for Main, Strain, Baccus, O’Hara, and a couple of others. Happy days.

Baccus can be very good but over rated I think Strain is by far the better player. Gallagher or Fraser would be my POTY 

11 hours ago, aldo_j said:

Il never take Charles Dunne for granted again tbh. What a difference he made today. Don't think we lose the first goal at Parkhead last week and the first goal against Motherwell midweek either if he's playing. 

As for player of the year , if Main can reach 10 goals in the league then it's got to be him. He'll probably be POTY anyway.

Carson, Fraser, Gallagher, Strain, Baccus, Main have been the stand outs for me. Ayunga is crucial to our counter attacking and we miss him dearly.

We needed the 3 points badly. During the covid season we had what ,3 games in hand over StJohstone and we drew the majority of games, including losing late equalisers. Injuries, suspensions and fatigue cost us. It could easily have went that way today but we dug in.

Some tough games coming up though Perthites away, Celtic at home and United away, we'll need bodies back if we want a shot at top 6. 

6 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Il never take Charles Dunne for granted again tbh. What a difference he made today. Don't think we lose the first goal at Parkhead last week and the first goal against Motherwell midweek either if he's playing. 

As for player of the year , if Main can reach 10 goals in the league then it's got to be him. He'll probably be POTY anyway.

Carson, Fraser, Gallagher, Strain, Baccus, Main have been the stand outs for me. Ayunga is crucial to our counter attacking and we miss him dearly.

Not O'Hara?

5 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Not O'Hara?

He's brilliant at what he does, box to box, tireless energy, harrases opponents. Pretty much the player we needed the last couple of seasons. Sometimes disappears from games too much for my liking. I would say like the other night but the constant shelling of long balls bypassing our midfield.

I'm probably being a tad harsh on him, maybe it's down to the way we play, we do give the opposition a lot of the ball so our midfield guys need to put the shift in before showing what they can do on the ball.

Don't get me wrong he's a good player and I really like him.

We rely too much on our wing backs for creativity which again isn't his fault.

M.McKay:

"I spoke to the 4th official about the time wasting from the first 15 minutes, I have no problem with the tactic. They take their time with throw ins and the keeper moves the ball from side to side at goal kicks. They are slow with everything. It's about momentum as well because it just stops everything."

8 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

M.McKay:

"I spoke to the 4th official about the time wasting from the first 15 minutes, I have no problem with the tactic. They take their time with throw ins and the keeper moves the ball from side to side at goal kicks. They are slow with everything. It's about momentum as well because it just stops everything."

It's kinda true tbf.

3 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

M.McKay:

It is a depressing aspect of modern football but we've faced the same numerous times over the last 20 years or so (at least) - it's not going away and if County had scored early yesterday they'd have done the same and if they'd been successful would've been delighted with the result.