The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

36 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

Na centre forward with lots of high balls into the box please. 

27 minutes ago, elvis said:

That would do as well. 

When we are chasing late goals SR has not utilised by Joe up front really... think he was on once and his kick at goal landed at Grieves feet and he scored.

Last season, this was a real option... should still be.

2 hours ago, medals said:

When we are chasing late goals SR has not utilised by Joe up front really... think he was on once and his kick at goal landed at Grieves feet and he scored.

Last season, this was a real option... should still be.

It absolutely should be.

Our game plan is built on a model of at least one big striker, preferably two, with plenty balls into the box and working off 2nd balls.

A front two of Watt and either of Offord or Jamieson is simply not going to give us that.

Putting Joe up there to cause some chaos and win those balls in the box is far from the worst shout as an emergency measure.

And with three strikers ruled out this is very much an emergency.

1 hour ago, Div said:

It absolutely should be.

Our game plan is built on a model of at least one big striker, preferably two, with plenty balls into the box and working off 2nd balls.

A front two of Watt and either of Offord or Jamieson is simply not going to give us that.

Putting Joe up there to cause some chaos and win those balls in the box is far from the worst shout as an emergency measure.

And with three strikers ruled out this is very much an emergency.

I am not being funny but put Urminskey up top instead of Joe. He is enormous and would win lots of the ball in the air. Would give it a go

1 hour ago, AW saint said:

I am not being funny but put Urminskey up top instead of Joe. He is enormous and would win lots of the ball in the air. Would give it a go

Well, I laughed!

I think that if we're really a club who "gives youth a chance" then it has to be Offord or Jamieson if Main doesn't make it.

1 hour ago, AW saint said:

Stuart Pearce tried that with David James at Man City. It was a fucking disaster.

10 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I think the whole “letting Brophy go and then two strikers getting injured” thing is a complete red herring. Brophy had to go regardless. He’s feckin rubbish. I wouldn’t take him back now even if we could. We brought in Watt anyway, so that cancelled out the Brophy thing and I’d rather have him any day. 

Not saying Brophy should have stayed, not saying Brophy is better than any of our other strikers. Merely saying it was an absolute certainty that having let a striker leave, we’d suffer injuries to other strikers. Could just feel it in ma’ watter’.

22 minutes ago, jm1 said:

If I was Jamieson or Offord and we started a centre half or a goalkeeper up front instead of me, I'd be looking for another club. 

We haven't had too many opportunities to see what Offord has to offer as a 'first teamer', but I reckon he has shown precious little in those cameo appearances to suggest he is ready for the step up.

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

We haven't had too many opportunities to see what Offord has to offer as a 'first teamer', but I reckon he has shown precious little in those cameo appearances to suggest he is ready for the step up.

Id rather give him a chance in his preferred position in the starting eleven tomorrow, instead of writing him off after 23 minutes of play this season then sticking a centre half or a goalkeeper up front.

10 hours ago, jm1 said:

If I was Jamieson or Offord and we started a centre half or a goalkeeper up front instead of me, I'd be looking for another club. 

They shouldn't even be on the bench if that's how little we rate them. 

St Mirren fans 6 months ago - "Why do we never produce young strikers, not had one since Yardley!"

St Mirren fans last night - "Lets start a goalkeeper up front instead of a young striker desperate to impress whos scored goals at a lower level"

Just bizarre stuff. Theres a reason nobody plays games with big lump GKs or CBs up front, theyre not missing some magical trick.

19 hours ago, Div said:

I've seen some wild takes on the team at times but that one takes the biscuit mate!

Baccus missing is an absolute disaster IMO.

Defence should be solid enough tomorrow with Small replacing Tanser and Strain, Fraser, Dec and hopefully Dunne making up a very capable back 5.

Imagine Flynn, O'Hara and Kiltie will make up the middle three with Watt and either Offord or Jamieson partnering him.

Or as a total curve ball we could try big Shags up front with Watt. I wouldn't be totally averse to that to be honest!

Div, I’m not suggesting for one minute that Baccus isn’t a capable footballer, but you cannot deny the fact that with the exception of perhaps one game, he’s been rubbish since the World Cup. On Wednesday night (long before I knew he was potentially injured) I was saying he needs to be rested. To me me he looks like he needs a wee boot up the arse and a game or two on the bench might just achieve that. As well as his poor form he’s also become a red card waiting to happen. Beaton was extremely lenient with him on Wednesday. He should’ve been booked long before he was and if he had, that completely unnecessary slap round the chops he gave the Motherwell player would’ve been a red. He commits way too many fouls for my liking. 

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

St Mirren fans 6 months ago - "Why do we never produce young strikers, not had one since Yardley!"

St Mirren fans last night - "Lets start a goalkeeper up front instead of a young striker desperate to impress whos scored goals at a lower level"

Just bizarre stuff. Theres a reason nobody plays games with big lump GKs or CBs up front, theyre not missing some magical trick.

To be fair it was only one guy that suggested such nonsense. If you have two young strikers that have previous experience and some valuable game time with loan clubs, albeit at a lower level. 
Then it would be madness not give either a chance to show what they can do.

24 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

To be fair it was only one guy that suggested such nonsense. If you have two young strikers that have previous experience and some valuable game time with loan clubs, albeit at a lower level. 
Then it would be madness not give either a chance to show what they can do.

That is very true. Jamieson looked like a wee boy lost during his short appearance on Wednesday, but I’m not going to label him after 15 minutes football when pretty much the whole team was shite. Would be good to get a longer look at him and I can’t think of a better opportunity than today’s game. 

Can't remember where I read it but following Wednesday night someone suggested we'd be much better off, points wise, if we had Tait in the team. Be as well throwing him in upfront if he's the saviour following a couple of defeats. The same Tait that can't get in the team when everyone is fit & will surely be let go come the end of the season. 

30 minutes ago, buddie06smfc said:

Can't remember where I read it but following Wednesday night someone suggested we'd be much better off, points wise, if we had Tait in the team. Be as well throwing him in upfront if he's the saviour following a couple of defeats. The same Tait that can't get in the team when everyone is fit & will surely be let go come the end of the season. 

He's out injured