The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Last night was nothing new. Our away form has been an issue all season. 

You can point to a number of factors but we are shocking away from home. 

Injuries and suspensions are hurting the side. We also miss Ethan who linked our midfield perfectly. 

Baccus and O'Hara drift out of games and we are not moving the ball quick enough. 

Saturday is a winnable game just like last night but it could also be another poor result unless we play to a higher level. 

I set myself up for disappointment last night. It's happened so many times in the past under different management, going into a game that could ultimately flip your season up or down. Thats how I felt last games importance was to win. The advantage of an extra game to win and give us a cushion into Saturday.  
Reminded me of the Hamilton game a couple of seasons ago where we needed 3 points to secure top 6 then we lost an injury time goal.

I'm hoping this is just a very slight dip in form as performance wise we weren't actually that bad at Parkhead regardless of the score and a draw would have probably have been a fairer result against Hibs. 

We need to get back to winning ways again on Saturday and keep up the good home form. 

There were no two surer things in life than St Mirren letting a striker leave on loan, then seeing two main strikers get injured, and then losing in meek fashion to a crisis club who were just waiting for St Mirren to rack up in town before pocketing all three points. Nothing surer. Need a ‘reaction’ on Saturday now.

Edited by pozbaird

60 years of supporting us and it's been the same old thing for most of that time apart from mid seventies to mid eighties. We think of ourselves as one of the bigger sides but our league positions suggest otherwise. Since the premiership started in 1998/99 ,with the exception of us ,all the current premiership clubs plus Dundee, Partick, Caley Thistle and Dunfermline have finished in the top six. We just don't seem to have it over a whole season. We have been ecstatic when winning the Championship three times in that period but in reality we were over the moon about being the 13th best team. I know we won the league cup,one of the better days of my life, but that just involved 5 games. Going back to league positions since world war two our mean average league position has been 12th. That sums us up .A bottom half premiership/ top half championship side. Even the way we are organised is small time - a friend trying to book hospitality and another private event likened it to dealing with a bowling club . 

I genuinely thought this might be the season where we may  just manage to make it . Given recent displays and the injury list leaving such a limited squad I have my doubts but I live in hope. Maybe we just need to accept who we are . Saturday coming will tell us a lot.

16 hours ago, pozbaird said:

There were no two surer things in life than St Mirren letting a striker leave on loan, then seeing two main strikers get injured, and then losing in meek fashion to a crisis club who were just waiting for St Mirren to rack up in town before pocketing all three points. Nothing surer. Need a ‘reaction’ on Saturday now.

I think the whole “letting Brophy go and then two strikers getting injured” thing is a complete red herring. Brophy had to go regardless. He’s feckin rubbish. I wouldn’t take him back now even if we could. We brought in Watt anyway, so that cancelled out the Brophy thing and I’d rather have him any day. 

1 hour ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Baccus no loss given his recent form but Gogic and Main is a big FFS!!

Good news about Greive though. 

I've seen some wild takes on the team at times but that one takes the biscuit mate!

Baccus missing is an absolute disaster IMO.

Defence should be solid enough tomorrow with Small replacing Tanser and Strain, Fraser, Dec and hopefully Dunne making up a very capable back 5.

Imagine Flynn, O'Hara and Kiltie will make up the middle three with Watt and either Offord or Jamieson partnering him.

Or as a total curve ball we could try big Shags up front with Watt. I wouldn't be totally averse to that to be honest!

10 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Yeah, Baccus being out is awful, but him and Gogic being out is a disaster. If you're County, you're looking to absolutely set about whatever midfield we manage to scrape together.

Let's be honest, County are not that great a team or squad - though they punch well considering. Other than White their top scorer has 2. So keeping him blank is the main defensive target.

Whatever midfield we have (could R Taylor play there?) We need to stop shots from outside the box.

They also like to get down the wings, so negating that has to be next. Time for Small to shine hopefully.

Offensively, we need to get in behind them and take our chances.

We can win this. We really ought to. 2 or 3,  to 1 with Watt on the score sheet.

20 minutes ago, medals said:

Let's be honest, County are not that great a team or squad - though they punch well considering. Other than White their top scorer has 2. So keeping him blank is the main defensive target.

Whatever midfield we have (could R Taylor play there?) We need to stop shots from outside the box.

They also like to get down the wings, so negating that has to be next. Time for Small to shine hopefully.

Offensively, we need to get in behind them and take our chances.

We can win this. We really ought to. 2 or 3,  to 1 with Watt on the score sheet.

R Taylor hasn't been stopping shots in defence Medals, wouldn't have him anywhere near the midfield.

8 minutes ago, weebud said:

R Taylor hasn't been stopping shots in defence Medals, wouldn't have him anywhere near the midfield.

Yeah agree he's not up to speed yet or? I was only thinking if we were stuck that he could perhaps play as DM.

Him and Tanser were at fault against Motherwell but I think he could break up play and would be decent in the air and his distribution seems OK.

Small could play LM but is needed at LWB.