The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

19 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Winning 1 in 3 and losing 2 is better than drawing 2 and losing 1, yet so many managers in this division seems to think settling for a draw is better than pushing for a win.

Think Goodwin fits one method while Robinson the other, so thats where the improvement is seen.

In arithmetical terms I don't think it makes much difference both are -3 point scenarios with a similar GD likely, it's more about attitude - once you're playing for a draw you're inviting defeat especially if panic sets in at the back and scoring a breakaway goal becomes a less likely option.  

5 hours ago, btb said:

In arithmetical terms I don't think it makes much difference both are -3 point scenarios with a similar GD likely, it's more about attitude - once you're playing for a draw you're inviting defeat especially if panic sets in at the back and scoring a breakaway goal becomes a less likely option.  

If you play three games, win one and lose two, you have 3 points. If you draw two and lose one, you only garnered 2 points. In arithmetical terms it is a one point difference. You’d be better off. It’s about perception. If we were at home to an ugly then Aberdeen and Hearts away, if the ugly beat us, but we drew 1-1 at Pittodrie and Tynecastle, we’d likely say it was decent, given the fixtures. Would be better for us though if the ugly beat us, Aberdeen beat us, but we win at Hearts. We’d be a point better off.

1 hour ago, pozbaird said:

If you play three games, win one and lose two, you have 3 points. If you draw two and lose one, you only garnered 2 points. In arithmetical terms it is a one point difference. You’d be better off. It’s about perception. If we were at home to an ugly then Aberdeen and Hearts away, if the ugly beat us, but we drew 1-1 at Pittodrie and Tynecastle, we’d likely say it was decent, given the fixtures. Would be better for us though if the ugly beat us, Aberdeen beat us, but we win at Hearts. We’d be a point better off.

I see what is being said but both are -3 points scenarios, if you have 1 point more so does the opposition although maybe not all the opposition teams so Fairy Nuff.

I still feel the main difference is psychological and that if a game gets to say 80 mins with both teams level it's the team that settles for a point that is the more likely to lose said point.

31 minutes ago, btb said:

I see what is being said but both are -3 points scenarios, if you have 1 point more so does the opposition although maybe not all the opposition teams so Fairy Nuff.

I still feel the main difference is psychological and that if a game gets to say 80 mins with both teams level it's the team that settles for a point that is the more likely to lose said point.

I get your point…. Or three points, had you posted better and went for the win. 😛

Just take my money FFS.

Firmly in the 'so bad they are good' category for me.

I will say though, I do hope the Matchwinner comeback is genuine and not some scheme or scam but aside from giving a few old shirts away so far, there's not a lot of substance that's been done on the Twitter handle, just what they are going to do.

Edited by djchapsticks

5 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Just take my money FFS.

Firmly in the 'so bad they are good' category for me.

I will say though, I do hope the Matchwinner comeback is genuine and not some scheme or scam but aside from giving a few old shirts away so far, there's not a lot of substance that's been done on the Twitter handle, just what they are going to do.

Had that top when I was a kid - I would have been ~9 - and I always loved it. Through adult eyes I can see it's not brilliant, but holds great memories for me. Probably wouldn't buy, though.

Are we close to renaming the ‘new manager bounce’ to the ‘St Mirren bounce’?

Reeking form, sacked manager, no confidence…no problem. We’ve been like that for years - never ruthless when required.

Edited by aldo_j

11 hours ago, GAD said:

Horrendous performance, missing Erhahon even more than I expected. We've got nobody bringing any control to the midfeild at all.

Yep he's been a huge miss, and he hasn't been replaced. Baccus, O'Hara, Gogic - who i thought was particularly poor last night - and Kiltie just don't do what he did in the middle of the park. 

Don't think it's too much of an exaggeration to say that Saturday is now a must win if we are going to challenge for Europe and the top 6. Only 7 games left after Saturday and three of those are the cheeks and Tynecastle so it's getting to the stage we have to get max points from the other 4 ganes. Problem is there are so many teams fighting for something that every game is going to be a scrap. With the squad down to the bare bones it's going to be a battle, no doubt about it starting this weekend. 

It's weird that a couple months ago the bench looked rammed with game-changing quality. Two first-team players out the door (counting Brophy there, albeit he was replaced) and a couple injuries and suddenly the bench is mainly kids.

I'm comfortable with that and I want to see them given game time, so it's not a criticism per se, just an observation on how that seems to have swung so quickly.

15 hours ago, GAD said:

Horrendous performance, missing Erhahon even more than I expected. We've got nobody bringing any control to the midfeild at all.

Think there were bigger issues than missing Ethan.

Taylor and Tanser for starters. Boy did we miss Dunne.

And we need to revisit our preparations for away games. We had too many players not performing that great - when they are on it we are top 6, when they are not we're lower down.

Huge opportunity to have gone 4th lost - where is our mentality? Hope its a lot better in our next 2 winnable games.

Loss of form ? Injuries ? or have teams worked out that we have no plan B. Last night was eye bleeding stuff to watch. Hoof ball with little or no end product is not going to secure a top six place.

Arguably we’ve played similar all season but with Ayunga and Greive who are mobile and can hold the ball up to better effect.

Another performance like last night against Ross County, and all the good work gone before will be for nothing. Crowds at home games have been impressive, this will be a test to see if they stick with the team on a bad run of late.