The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

10 minutes ago, Molotov said:

B4A7F3E6-9E1A-4710-A263-532C2F8EC626.gif.96e84227cb8fca8276fd92f3d094b40a.gif

Look how long it took for Jack Copland to be invited. Looks like it had to take a change of ownership before that happened. 

Iain Munro should be in it along with Peter Weir as should the two Fergies.
Manager and player. 

Is this the most up to date list?

https://www.stmirren.info/hall-of-fame

Indeed. A good starting point for debate is simply to go through the Fergie’s Furies team and era, see who isn’t in our HoF from that group, and frankly wonder why when you look at the resume of some individuals who have been inducted. That group of men who formed that team as players and management, without doubt, not only achieved success in their own right, but were the launch pad for the ‘modern’ St Mirren that followed into the 1980s. A St Mirren that were genuine contenders in cups, no pushovers in the league, and European jaunts were nothing out of the ordinary.

Edited by pozbaird

Have suggested before we should induct teams that have won a trophy into the hall of fame - so you could have the Fergie's Fury team, Millennium Champions team etc - as a whole, same as the first St Mirren squad is there. If any members of those teams are particularly worthy of individual induction (come on down Jens Paeslack) for their efforts in that or other seasons then that could be done as well.

Would also be in favour of any manager who won a trophy with the club to be inducted as there aren't exactly many of them - although Alex Ferguson would probably refuse out of spite.

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Alan Burrows going to Aberdeen has me a bit more worried they'll nick Robinson - and also opens up the possibility of Lasley going back to Fir Park.

I don’t think Aberdeen will do the big club routine on us for a while since Jim didn’t exactly set the heather on fire, the fans won’t want to go down that road either and Keith is in his first season so hope he would stay to see the season out. 

Edited by Lola montez

2 hours ago, Stu said:

Alan Burrows going to Aberdeen has me a bit more worried they'll nick Robinson - and also opens up the possibility of Lasley going back to Fir Park.

I had the same thought.

Motherwell will be interested in Lasley.

more concrned the Dons might not go lock stock and barrel but might cherry pick From us too.  Hope not - need Dunne and Main to sign new contracts if I am right.

Edited by medals

11 minutes ago, Billy_Gunn said:

Neither Lasley nor Robinson are going anywhere.

5 minutes ago, Bobby_F said:

From their public statements and body language I agree.

Yeah we all hope so but as we know, money can be persuasive. 

21 hours ago, Molotov said:

Absolutely!

When we won the cup in ‘87 I couldn’t help thinking that Billy played in far superior Saints teams that never even got to a domestic final. 

At least that replay we were not cheated as we were against Rangers in the League cup semi 2nd leg at Ibrox and the Scottish Cup semi at Hampden. 

Let’s not underestimate the strength of that Aberdeen team under Fergie. 
A year later they would win the ECWC in Gothenburg.

400D004D-F0FE-43C9-8A01-54949CA12665.thumb.jpeg.01174437029237ec15f0a2505711dd83.jpeg

I felt we were the better team in the first game at Parkhead which was hardly a classic encounter.

B3C6AD97-6568-4DCB-9415-5706E0B13A4A.thumb.jpeg.9ca46555f2f9990c284db9fcbe2a8b6c.jpeg

Look at the players on show in both teams and compare with the players on show today. 

Remember the first game so well.

First time I ever bought a pint in a pub. The Cellar Bar. Aged 15 years and 10 months. Then up to Parkhead. Only time I was ever in "The Jungle".

1 hour ago, medals said:

I had the same thought.

Motherwell will be interested in Lasley.

more concrned the Dons might not go lock stock and barrel but might cherry pick From us too.  Hope not - need Dunne and Main to sign new contracts if I am right.

If Aberdeen re-signed Main Willie Miller would explode.

6 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

If Aberdeen re-signed Main Willie Miller would explode.

I doubt highly they would take Main again, but other teams would. 

Arguably he has been our most important striker this season. (OK nearly a 1/2 still to go without Ayunga and with Watt)

They may well try to get Dunne though

Edited by medals
Added extra sentence

22 hours ago, flyingscot said:

Honestly Cormack would be mad to go after the Saints manager after Goodwin. Their fans want a big name, or at least someone outside of Scotland.  

My thoughts exactly. They were not overwhelmed with joy at the appointment of Goody because he did not fit the criteria of a 'big club' from his background.

Going back to the same place for their new manager just doesn't seem realistic imo.

With regards to Keith, I am sure at the very earliest of stages in his new career, he will want to at the very least leave a legacy before going elsewhere. He's barely got his teeth into the role. He has been involved in many positive movements I am sure, including the 1 stand debate for ALL away fans, though I am sure he is here for a longer run, regardless of any sentimental attachment to Motherwell. Very very big boots to fill from Burrows imo for whoever takes over. I'd go as far as saying they may find it difficult to find anyone on that par.

15 hours ago, medals said:

I doubt highly they would take Main again, but other teams would. 

Arguably he has been our most important striker this season. (OK nearly a 1/2 still to go without Ayunga and with Watt)

They may well try to get Dunne though

After seeing the treatment his best pal has had up there from fans, I'm not so sure he would be keen to make such a move.

2 hours ago, smellthepaw said:

After seeing the treatment his best pal has had up there from fans, I'm not so sure he would be keen to make such a move.

I agree with that, however,  as I said before, money talks.

Given he's not rushed to sign a new deal with us, who else might willingly offer him more?

They have to be a possibility as Hayes is done.

1 hour ago, aldo_j said:

I take it the Mahrez story is the new Tom Hendrie/Ronaldinho, once a year story?

Up there with Ian Harte being unfortunately waylaid in Gretna Services in the ‘great St Mirren storybook’ stakes. See also: Alan McInally set to join St Mirren, bar for misbehaviour and a pesky red card incident elsewhere. Of course, every season for what felt like ten in a row, the stories were John Rankin and/or the lad Burns fae’ Queen of the South set to join St Mirren. Those stories went on so long I swear JRR Tolkien was behind them.

Been a couple of years since I set foot inside either Parkhead or Ibrox to watch us. For me football should be about enjoyment and I started to hate going to both grounds for many different reasons so I just stopped doing it.

No chance I'm missing tomorrow though. Think the only Scottish Cup tie I've missed since 1987 though other than the COVID season was Peterhead replay at Balmoor in 2011 when we won 6-1 after drawing 0-0 with them in Paisley.

So I was at Parkhead for the cup tie in 2017 where we all dared to dream after going in 1-0 up at the interval. Think it was Mallan who hit the crossbar early in the second half and then we got well and truly battered and it ended up 4-1 which was incredibly harsh.

There's always a chance, isn't there?

3 minutes ago, Div said:

There's always a chance, isn't there?

There is. Even if its really really unlikely,  you never know.

We need the whole on field team to be on it for the full game, and to keep their dangermen at bay and someone to take our chances.

Dare to dream. For faithful fans and the best squad and management we had for years - oh it would be appreciated and celebrated too.

Bonus would be an OF team not getting another cup too.

This is our chance, let's grab it!