The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

20 minutes ago, Molotov said:

Controversial opinion.

But should Ian Ferguson be entered into the Hall of Fame?

Without his contribution throughout the ‘87 cup run we would never have won that trophy. 

7DC26686-6E48-4A6A-BC3F-EF2819CF2CD2.jpeg.ec80c97484cd8b17e2a96a834647536c.jpeg

764BA044-6B67-4FB8-A529-FA458D6499C5.thumb.jpeg.d85cf7040e8e30086ae5937318931bca.jpeg

65725B01-7F1C-47B2-88D0-FF9353249470.thumb.jpeg.c420bdb9a932b060487010406f6b9f02.jpeg

Definitely. 

32 minutes ago, Molotov said:

Controversial opinion.

But should Ian Ferguson be entered into the Hall of Fame?

Without his contribution throughout the ‘87 cup run we would never have won that trophy. 

7DC26686-6E48-4A6A-BC3F-EF2819CF2CD2.jpeg.ec80c97484cd8b17e2a96a834647536c.jpeg

764BA044-6B67-4FB8-A529-FA458D6499C5.thumb.jpeg.d85cf7040e8e30086ae5937318931bca.jpeg

65725B01-7F1C-47B2-88D0-FF9353249470.thumb.jpeg.c420bdb9a932b060487010406f6b9f02.jpeg

Yes he should, but would he accept ?

Sad news about big Billy considering his age  ☹️

Don't even think it's controversial.

Ferguson contributed a massive, massive part to our history and went onto have a very good career when he left us. He also technically remains our highest ever received transfer fee - directly at least as McGinn has outstripped that in sell on kickbacks.

He should 100% be in the HoF.

1 hour ago, Lola montez said:

He made 284 appearances between 1976-84 and had 76 clean sheets, keeper for the Anglo Scottish cup and had 7 caps for Scotland, the first keeper I remember playing. RIP Billy and thank you. 

Same here, player for us at a time when European football was a realistic aim if not an expectation. 
Shocked at the news but glad to have been able to see him play for us. 
RIP Billy

13 hours ago, Uncle Scan said:

An entertaining keeper and would make unbelievable saves. Then let a trundler in. Unfortunately for us he seem to save his poor games in semi finals. Still should have went to World Cup especially 82 RIP Billy

Everyone seems to hark back to that replay v Aberdeen at Dens Park but mistakes like that were few and far between in the round. We really have been blessed with some great keepers in my era and Billy was the first that really stood out for me. Way more fantastic games than that one night in Dundee.

6 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:

Everyone seems to hark back to that replay v Aberdeen at Dens Park but mistakes like that were few and far between in the round.

I was standing right behind the goal that night and witnessed the horror unfolding. 

Poor Billy. Surely we can cut him some slack for that mistake after all these years ? The torrential rain that night was a huge factor in that incident. 

1 minute ago, Wilbur said:

Poor Billy. Surely we can cut him some slack for that mistake after all these years ? The torrential rain that night was a huge factor in that incident. 

Absolutely!

When we won the cup in ‘87 I couldn’t help thinking that Billy played in far superior Saints teams that never even got to a domestic final. 

At least that replay we were not cheated as we were against Rangers in the League cup semi 2nd leg at Ibrox and the Scottish Cup semi at Hampden. 

Let’s not underestimate the strength of that Aberdeen team under Fergie. 
A year later they would win the ECWC in Gothenburg.

400D004D-F0FE-43C9-8A01-54949CA12665.thumb.jpeg.01174437029237ec15f0a2505711dd83.jpeg

I felt we were the better team in the first game at Parkhead which was hardly a classic encounter.

B3C6AD97-6568-4DCB-9415-5706E0B13A4A.thumb.jpeg.9ca46555f2f9990c284db9fcbe2a8b6c.jpeg

Look at the players on show in both teams and compare with the players on show today. 

2 hours ago, Molotov said:

Absolutely!

When we won the cup in ‘87 I couldn’t help thinking that Billy played in far superior Saints teams that never even got to a domestic final. 

At least that replay we were not cheated as we were against Rangers in the League cup semi 2nd leg at Ibrox and the Scottish Cup semi at Hampden. 

Let’s not underestimate the strength of that Aberdeen team under Fergie. 
A year later they would win the ECWC in Gothenburg.

400D004D-F0FE-43C9-8A01-54949CA12665.thumb.jpeg.01174437029237ec15f0a2505711dd83.jpeg

I felt we were the better team in the first game at Parkhead which was hardly a classic encounter.

B3C6AD97-6568-4DCB-9415-5706E0B13A4A.thumb.jpeg.9ca46555f2f9990c284db9fcbe2a8b6c.jpeg

Look at the players on show in both teams and compare with the players on show today. 

I was at the parkhead game but not the replay, we undoubtedly deserved to win the first game. 

I think it is remarkable when you look at the size of the crowds, I’m confident an Aberdeen Saints cup semi would get a bigger crowd these days even with live tv. 

38 minutes ago, DumbartonBud said:

I was at the parkhead game but not the replay, we undoubtedly deserved to win the first game. 

I think it is remarkable when you look at the size of the crowds, I’m confident an Aberdeen Saints cup semi would get a bigger crowd these days even with live tv. 

Agreed. The crowd for the 87 semi against Hearts was twice the Saturday Parkhead semi against Aberdeen.

I don’t recall a particularly large Saints support at the game at Parkhead. 

But just look at the quality of the teams that day! Wow!

The 1982 semi final was supposed to be held at Muirton Park but both clubs kicked up enough of a stink to get it moved to Parkhead on the grounds that Muirton was too small. Then the game attracted a crowd that Muirton could have accommodated. 😃

The consternation about Muirton was well covered in match programmes of the time.

4 minutes ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

The 1982 semi final was supposed to be held at Muirton Park but both clubs kicked up enough of a stink to get it moved to Parkhead on the grounds that Muirton was too small. Then the game attracted a crowd that Muirton could have accommodated. 😃

The consternation about Muirton was well covered in match programmes of the time.

It was still a very poor crowd given that both clubs had arguably their best teams of that era. 

1 hour ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

thinking it was just us that complained.aberdeen were raging about the venue change and having to come to glasgow.in a bid to appease them the sfa named dens as the venue for a replay before the parkhead game was played.

Nothing controversial IMHO about Ian Ferguson being talked about in regard to our HoF. Don’t want to particularly open a massive can of worms, but, in my opinion, there are one or two players in it, and more than a few who are not, that is a joke actually. I’ll leave it to others to decide who they reckon should be in, but for sure, you can look at appearances, achievements, longevity as a Saint - and there are guys outside looking in, who did a lot more than one or two who were inducted.

2 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Nothing controversial IMHO about Ian Ferguson being talked about in regard to our HoF. Don’t want to particularly open a massive can of worms, but, in my opinion, there are one or two players in it, and more than a few who are not, that is a joke actually. I’ll leave it to others to decide who they reckon should be in, but for sure, you can look at appearances, achievements, longevity as a Saint - and there are guys outside looking in, who did a lot more than one or two who were inducted.

B4A7F3E6-9E1A-4710-A263-532C2F8EC626.gif.96e84227cb8fca8276fd92f3d094b40a.gif

Look how long it took for Jack Copland to be invited. Looks like it had to take a change of ownership before that happened. 

Iain Munro should be in it along with Peter Weir as should the two Fergies.
Manager and player. 

Is this the most up to date list?

https://www.stmirren.info/hall-of-fame