The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

I am enjoying watching us. I don’t think we’re a grim shitfest type of team at all. With Strain, Baccus, Tanser, Kiltie & a few others, we try to play a bit, and up top, we have options. Options that might not score thirty a season, but every man in our team is a trier. Absolutely no sand-dancers or non-triers. Not one. 

32 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

I am enjoying watching us. I don’t think we’re a grim shitfest type of team at all. With Strain, Baccus, Tanser, Kiltie & a few others, we try to play a bit, and up top, we have options. Options that might not score thirty a season, but every man in our team is a trier. Absolutely no sand-dancers or non-triers. Not one. 

Yeah I don't think we're a poor watch either. But the fight in the team for me is more enjoyable this season than the football on show. 

I don’t doubt Stephen will get offers elsewhere if he keeps up his good work and he’ll be off but in a recent interview he said he wanted some stability for his family after so many house moves and Goodwin’s situation must act as a warning that sometimes there’s a lot to be said for a steady pay check over a fast buck. 

I first started supporting Saints in 86, so I never saw Fergie’s Furies and shared the good times some of our ………er……………more mature fans have seen but it hit me when I saw RC had signed a pretty decent winger and my initial thought was f**k…………here we go……..then I remembered that we were 4th and relegation wasn’t our problem this season.

This has been pretty normal for some clubs but for those of us experiencing it for the first time…………..it’s brilliant.

Top 4 Tony………..why not 🐼🍻

9 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

We've also heard other fans say 'wouldn't want to watch that over a season' but in all honesty, grinding out results is a whole lot better than watching us getting beat week in week out.

If opposing fans dont like watching you, opposing teams dont like playing you.

5 hours ago, Torfason said:

I first started supporting Saints in 86, so I never saw Fergie’s Furies and shared the good times some of our ………er……………more mature fans have seen but it hit me when I saw RC had signed a pretty decent winger and my initial thought was f**k…………here we go……..then I remembered that we were 4th and relegation wasn’t our problem this season.

This has been pretty normal for some clubs but for those of us experiencing it for the first time…………..it’s brilliant.

Top 4 Tony………..why not 🐼🍻

It hammers home how important that 5 months in the Championship under Jack Ross really was. If we hadn’t managed to avoid relegation that season, there is a good chance we would be talking about trips to Dunfermline and Falkirk and not a top 6 finish in the Premiership. I went to nearly every game during that spell and they were some of the best times I’ve had supporting St Mirren, but probably didn’t realise at the time how vital those wins were. Ayr United away and, of course, Hibs on the last day of the season were the highlights for me. We really do have a lot to thank Rory Loy for :lol: 

1 hour ago, IrishBhoy said:

It hammers home how important that 5 months in the Championship under Jack Ross really was. If we hadn’t managed to avoid relegation that season, there is a good chance we would be talking about trips to Dunfermline and Falkirk and not a top 6 finish in the Premiership. I went to nearly every game during that spell and they were some of the best times I’ve had supporting St Mirren, but probably didn’t realise at the time how vital those wins were. Ayr United away and, of course, Hibs on the last day of the season were the highlights for me. We really do have a lot to thank Rory Loy for :lol: 

Rory Loy = Shuggie Murray at Forthbank against Stirling Albion for the younger fans amongst our support.

That 5 months Jack Ross really lit a fire under our support and has started a really terrific connection between fans and players since.

Those were a special 18 months under Jack Ross.

31 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

If opposing fans dont like watching you, opposing teams dont like playing you.

Yep. I think about this a lot, especially around the sense of entitlement that comes with supporting certain teams.

It was rife when we saw the meltdown around our OF ticket allocations in the summer, and even now, even though it's been shown our attendances have gone up and that games against Hearts and Killie bring bigger crowds than the Old Firm, they still believe they've been wronged somehow.

But on topic, you always hear the 'couldn't put up with watching that shite' the loudest after a result against one of the Old Firm. The sheer outrage that you haven't played in a way that allows them to roll you over is always hilarious. Your double-winning team was hardly easy on the eye in the traditional sense but I bet not one of you gave a tiny f**k.

I see Morecambe, the job Robinson left for us, is in the process of being taken over by a 20yo entrepreneur.

Say what you will about fan ownership, and I am not saying a 20yo will act any more erratically than some 60yo just that the erratic nature will be different, but the idea one individual being in control of the club, and one who has no experience of running a football club seems like a recipe for disaster.

s0DGRe2.jpg

I mean fair play to the lad, this isn't a dig at him, he's made a success for himself and you could argue that a younger person will likely connect to fans more, rather than some 'stuffy old suit', but it feels like a massive gamble imo.

Edited by Ric

28 minutes ago, Mr Zo said:

Rory Loy = Shuggie Murray at Forthbank against Stirling Albion for the younger fans amongst our support.

That 5 months Jack Ross really lit a fire under our support and has started a really terrific connection between fans and players since.

Those were a special 18 months under Jack Ross.

I also wonder how it would have panned out if Steven McGinn hadnt scored that screamer against the Welsh team in the Challenge Cup? We were 1-0 down and getting outplayed by a part time outfit until that goal went in, and from that moment forward the team seemed to gain a confidence and a connection with the fans that lasted the rest of the season. We went and beat Ayr at Somerset next game and didn’t lose many after that. 

Just thinking back there was some terrific displays that season. The Stelios game at home to Hibs, the John Hughes 5-0 game against Raith, 4-1 away to Morton on a Friday night and probably more I’ve forgotten about. We should never have been in the position we were in, but the train home from Edinburgh after the last game was brilliant. Celebrating in relief more than achievement, but still a great memory I have from that season. 

Edited by IrishBhoy

1 hour ago, Gosport Buddie said:

Lasley looks to have been an inspired appointment. He talks a language that resonates with the support, but also seems to have a keen business sense.

I hope he is around for a good few years, but his progress, like that of the manager, won't have gone unnoticed. That said, both are developments to be celebrated.

Edited by Drooper

There are no such worries at St Mirren, who are on course to record their highest ever average home attendance over the course of the season

Either lazy journalism or poorly used language.

The highest ever average home attendance was over 17k in the early 50s.

He may have meant at the current stadium which is what he should have said if that's what he meant.

Off topic but are there any buddies who play PubG online that would be interested in forming a squad of buddies? 

I mainly play on xbox but also on playstation 5 but can play cross platform anyway if anyone is interested. For fun only so it doesn't matter how good/bad you are. 

2 hours ago, Drooper said:

Lasley looks to have been an inspired appointment. He talks a language that resonates with the support, but also seems to have a keen business sense.

I hope he is around for a good few years, but his progress, like that of the manager, won't have gone unnoticed. That said, both are developments to be celebrated.

Lasley is a massive asset for our club, arguably a more important appointment than the manager imo. Tony undoubtedly had his heart in the right place but I got the feeling that some of the things he spoke about doing he struggled to implement, whereas Lasley has the experience with Motherwell alongside a more professional way of working. Tony was, and continues to be, a great ambassador for our club. 

Reading that Herald article it’s clear to see that Lasley knows exactly how a club like ours should work within the community. Compare that to how the St Johnstone board treated their fans before the recent cup game and it highlights just how well the cutting of the OF allocations was handled by the club. On course for another 7k+ attendance today as well by all accounts.