The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

25 minutes ago, medals said:

Yeah he's not going even for 7 figures.

Managers generally go for the value of their contracts, its a different thing to players.

8 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Managers generally go for the value of their contracts, its a different thing to players.

I know, but hypothetically I'm vocalising my strong desire that we hang on to him.

Hence the contract extension hope.

Like Erhahon and Reid leaving, and Baccus attracting interest, if there’s any bigger fish come calling for Robbo’, and he decides to leave us, we’ll survive. I would be disappointed, but wouldn’t lose a blink of sleep over it. It’s modern fitba’. Even just in recent times Jack Ross left, Jim Goodwin left - both for bigger clubs. Didn’t work out for them, worked out OK for St Mirren. Who would be the next manager through our revolving door would concern me more. If he is courted and leaves, he leaves. Hypothetical question of course is, would the SMFC board give Goody a call. Now, there’s a question.

8 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Hypothetical question of course is, would the SMFC board give Goody a call. Now, there’s a question.

Nah. For same reason Jack Ross stayed away until Dundee Utd. The payoff from Aberdeen will probably be ended if he takes up another gig.

13 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Like Erhahon and Reid leaving, and Baccus attracting interest, if there’s any bigger fish come calling for Robbo’, and he decides to leave us, we’ll survive. I would be disappointed, but wouldn’t lose a blink of sleep over it. It’s modern fitba’. Even just in recent times Jack Ross left, Jim Goodwin left - both for bigger clubs. Didn’t work out for them, worked out OK for St Mirren. Who would be the next manager through our revolving door would concern me more. If he is courted and leaves, he leaves. Hypothetical question of course is, would the SMFC board give Goody a call. Now, there’s a question.

I mean, fucking tap in here...

Graham-Alexander-MOTM-November-16x9-1_79

4 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Nah. For same reason Jack Ross stayed away until Dundee Utd. The payoff from Aberdeen will probably be ended if he takes up another gig.

Let’s just hope we carry on the way we are, and keep under the radar. 😊

8 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

. Hypothetical question of course is, would the SMFC board give Goody a call. Now, there’s a question.

Seriously? F*S.

Trying not to lose every week, dull,  dire, and guys like Erhahon and Reid not being brought on, and that's me venting my please no first thoughts.

He did a job at the time, but we are on a different level now.

He spunked a lot of money away at Aberdeen - Stewart captain and Coulson at LB is horrendous. He did the same for us with Brophy.

Anyway, he'll not need a gig for a while with his pay-off.

Just now, medals said:

Seriously? F*S.

Trying not to lose every week, dull,  dire, and guys like Erhahon and Reid not being brought on, and that's me venting my please no first thoughts.

He did a job at the time, but we are on a different level now.

He spunked a lot of money away at Aberdeen - Stewart captain and Coulson at LB is horrendous. He did the same for us with Brophy.

Anyway, he'll not need a gig for a while with his pay-off.

Wouldn’t be my choice either. Nothing against the guy, but that was then, a lot of water has flowed under that bridge.

3 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Not going to lie, I'm still looking at our 33 points and my first instinct is that we need another six to make sure for definite that we don't finish in the bottom two.

It's impossible not to be like that. It's conditioned in at this point.

I mind being at Dingwall last season. After the game my mate asked if I thought we could get dragged into a relegation scrap. I replied, "Nah, we'd have to lose every game between now and the end of the season for that to happen."

Then I was shitting myself before the game at St Johnstone utterly convinced we'd end up in the playoffs.

3 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Not going to lie, I'm still looking at our 33 points and my first instinct is that we need another six to make sure for definite that we don't finish in the bottom two.

It's impossible not to be like that. It's conditioned in at this point.

Being of a similar age we grew up watching the club flounder, well more than flounder, in the first division in the 90s, nearly into the abyss. Early 90s to the early 00s barring 1 miraculous season, was easily the worse decade or so in the clubs history. 

Thankfully the amount of time spent in the Premiership has evened out, even at that a lot of it has been a slog.

Let's see what the next 10-15 games brings.

1 hour ago, Ric said:

As someone who grew up seeing St Mirren in the top 6 season after season, I'm somewhat sanguine about our current 'lofty' position.

I'm far more concerned when we're flirting with relegation.

Indeed.  Other than the 1st season after promotion when we we finished 8th we were regular top 3-4 -5 finishers.

However, that smacks of 1983-ism which is of a bygone era.

18 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Indeed.  Other than the 1st season after promotion when we we finished 8th we were regular top 3-4 -5 finishers.

However, that smacks of 1983-ism which is of a bygone era.

Or is history not something that we can learn from? 

Suppose where I am with this team is that I'm used to St. Mirren squads being nothing other than a naive, soft touch.

Yes we'd do just enough to get by through the years and we had the odd streetwise player but as a squad characteristic, we've never seemed to have a proper b*****d streak to us. We always appear to be as soft as shite at our very heart.

Hearing Stevie Hammell last week with almost a begrudging air of respect, talking about how much he dislikes playing against us as he knows what we're like was like music to my ears. For years we've always wanted a team who can get the ball on the deck and play some lovely flowing attractive football but of you're being realistic at our level, that will only ever get you so far with a comparatively smaller budget to the bigger teams.

I've discovered that there's a lot to be said for having a team who is properly in your face with a siege mentality and having that recognised by opponents before they've even come up against us is honestly a fucking great feeling and something that's totally alien to me. We've also heard other fans say 'wouldn't want to watch that over a season' but in all honesty, grinding out results is a whole lot better than watching us getting beat week in week out.

4 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

We've also heard other fans say 'wouldn't want to watch that over a season' but in all honesty, grinding out results is a whole lot better than watching us getting beat week in week out.

I don't give a fuck about what fans of other clubs think about us 

It's all about results and we've been getting them. They haven't and that's why they're down there and we re not.