The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

14 minutes ago, AW saint said:

And make sure we keep hold of Robbo

It's not quite a David Martindale type situation with Robbo but in terms of Scotland the only real threat I would see to taking him away would possibly be Hibs and even then I don't think his style of football would go down that well there. Maybe he'd adapt that if he had more money to spend.

The threat to us would come from down South but a win rate of just 25% at Morecambe might scare a few off albeit they were punching above their weight a bit.

Nothern Ireland gig concerned me a wee bit but that's now out of the equation too.

31 minutes ago, Div said:

It's not quite a David Martindale type situation with Robbo but in terms of Scotland the only real threat I would see to taking him away would possibly be Hibs and even then I don't think his style of football would go down that well there. Maybe he'd adapt that if he had more money to spend.

The threat to us would come from down South but a win rate of just 25% at Morecambe might scare a few off albeit they were punching above their weight a bit.

Nothern Ireland gig concerned me a wee bit but that's now out of the equation too.

Aberdeen chased after Jim Goodwin following a run of six decent games, a sniff of top six, and facing a cup game at Tynecastle. Beat Hibs on Saturday, and we’ll be sitting comfortably in fourth, sniffing third, and facing a cup game at Parkhead.

Logic suggests Cormack should be crawling on hands and knees across broken glass from Union Street to Greenhill Road, waving a chequebook and slabbering ‘big club, big club’ in Robbo’s direction.

If logic came into it up there.

32 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Aberdeen chased after Jim Goodwin following a run of six decent games, a sniff of top six, and facing a cup game at Tynecastle. Beat Hibs on Saturday, and we’ll be sitting comfortably in fourth, sniffing third, and facing a cup game at Parkhead.

Logic suggests Cormack should be crawling on hands and knees across broken glass from Union Street to Greenhill Road, waving a chequebook and slabbering ‘big club, big club’ in Robbo’s direction.

If logic came into it up there.

If Aberdeen were to - yet again - go for the St Mirren manager then their fans would go into meltdown. Sorry, go further into meltdown.

Their fans are wanting someone from outside Scottish football and have ridiculous notions that someone decent from the Norweigen or Danish league or whatever is going to give up a position to head to Pittodrie. Delusion. No one half decent will want that job, they'll end up giving it Barry Robson until the end of the season and see who is available then.

I'm sure Robinson would be tempted to move for a bigger wage and a bigger club - who wouldn't be? - but he'll also be looking at what has happened to their last two managers.

41 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

If Aberdeen were to - yet again - go for the St Mirren manager then their fans would go into meltdown. Sorry, go further into meltdown.

Their fans are wanting someone from outside Scottish football and have ridiculous notions that someone decent from the Norweigen or Danish league or whatever is going to give up a position to head to Pittodrie. Delusion. No one half decent will want that job, they'll end up giving it Barry Robson until the end of the season and see who is available then.

I'm sure Robinson would be tempted to move for a bigger wage and a bigger club - who wouldn't be? - but he'll also be looking at what has happened to their last two managers.

They have went through McInnes, Glass and Goodwin within what, 2 years? It should be an attractive job, not with that clown overseeing everything though. 

We did the same in the Premiership/Championship when we ended up relegated and rudderless for years. Had no stability whatsoever.

2 hours ago, AW saint said:

The huge difference this season is Robinson. He has changed the mindset of the team and everyone would run through a brick wall for him. 

He knows how to get the best out of a player. I just love big Curtis. Something I never thought I would say. 

The togetherness is something we havent seen in years. 

I am enjoying it while it lasts. 

Mainho seemed extra motivated last night for obvious reasons and put in a terrific shift. He was still sprinting about like a man possessed until the final whistle and thoroughly deserved his excellent goals.

19 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

They have went through McInnes, Glass and Goodwin within what, 2 years? It should be an attractive job, not with that clown overseeing everything though. 

We did the same in the Premiership/Championship when we ended up relegated and rudderless for years. Had no stability whatsoever.

Not sure it was Cormack’s fault that neither Glass or Goodwin could cut it at Aberdeen. While he clearly made a mistake in appointing people who weren’t good enough for the job, I haven’t heard it suggested Glass and Goodwin failed because Cormack was overseeing them too closely. 

21 minutes ago, Doonhame Buddie said:

Not sure it was Cormack’s fault that neither Glass or Goodwin could cut it at Aberdeen. While he clearly made a mistake in appointing people who weren’t good enough for the job, I haven’t heard it suggested Glass and Goodwin failed because Cormack was overseeing them too closely. 

I didn't mean he was overseeing them too closely, just that he has been in charge of the shit show.

As you say, he chose Glass and Goodwin. We were all pretty shocked at the time. We were a handy enough team but we hadn't achieved anything of note with Jim in charge. And as the accounts have shown, we spent a fortune. 

AGM was a week ago tonight.

Last hour of it was pretty depressing with a lot of infighting - mainly over Kibble related issues (and I'm guessing a member of the Ralston Bowling Green committee 😄).

Robbo and Lasley were sitting through that stony faced. And I remember thinking, jeeze hope this doesn't spook them.

6 points over the next 6 days suggests it didn't!

Assuming that Rangers, Celtic or Hearts win the Scottish Cup (and Hearts finish 3rd)..... 

It looks like we're going to be in a kind of mini-league for the rest of the season with the top 2 getting into Europe. Current standings:

1. St Mirren = 33

2. Livingston = 32

-----------------

3. Hibernian = 31

4. Aberdeen = 29

5. St Johnstone = 27

*St Mirren (Motherwell, away) & Livingston (Dundee Utd, home) have a game in hand.

about 20 odd years ago, Griff who was editor of the SQ fanzine, posted a message on one of the St Mirren forums asking for someone to take part in a televised quiz for ITV digital. The football quiz would see teams supporters of clubs from around the UK go head to head and try to win 'the league'. 

The programme was aired on ITV digital but it then went bust so the show was lost in the archives.

I decided to look on YouTube and luckily I came across it. 

I'm the guy with the 2001 away strip 😁

4 minutes ago, Yardley said:

about 20 odd years ago, Griff who was editor of the SQ fanzine, posted a message on one of the St Mirren forums asking for someone to take part in a televised quiz for ITV digital. The football quiz would see teams supporters of clubs from around the UK go head to head and try to win 'the league'. 

The programme was aired on ITV digital but it then went bust so the show was lost in the archives.

I decided to look on YouTube and luckily I came across it. 

I'm the guy with the 2001 away strip 😁

You've not aged a day Ants 😉

Tell you what has though, that show. If it wasn't for the 99/00 and 00/01 Saints tops i'd have sworn that video was from the 80s.

26 minutes ago, Stu said:

A journo from The Athletic says Reid signed for Palace.

Considering the way Chelsea (and other sides) completely hoovered up every bit of young talent then spat them out on loan anywhere you can, I am not surprised there is more oversight in signing under 18s.

Our home form as we all know has been right up there. Here's the stats.

Home table

GP W D L GF GA GD Pts
1 Celtic 12 12 0 0 37 7 +30 36
2 Rangers 12 10 2 0 32 7 +25 32
3 Hearts 12 8 1 3 28 19 +9 25
4 St. Mirren 12 7 4 1 16 8 +8 25
5 Aberdeen 12 7 1 4 27 13 +14 22
6 Hibernian 12 6 3 3 24 14 +10 21
7 Kilmarnock 12 6 3 3 16 17 -1 21
8 Livingston 11 5 3 3 10 10 0 18
9 Dundee Utd 12 4 1 7 15 22 -7 13
10 Ross County 13 3 3 7 13 22 -9 12