The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

3 minutes ago, Ric said:

Would it be a bad thing if Reid's deal never materialised? We could do with the cover for midfield. Is the financing for Watt dependent on Reid moving?

Reid is done.

Not sure what the hold up is though, it was actually signed off and completed before Erhahon's early in the afternoon so not sure what the hold up is.

4 minutes ago, Allroy for Prez said:

Robbo truly has put the band back together, and I’d take every single one of them back! 😭 

I have no problem with who he brings in. I do hope he can bring in folk he hasn't worked with previously who are also good as the old crew will age.

There's at least 2 who need to go come the summer.

1 minute ago, medals said:

I have no problem with who he brings in. I do hope he can bring in folk he hasn't worked with previously who are also good as the old crew will age.

There's at least 2 who need to go come the summer.

He's proven he can with Baccus, Strain, Gogic. Taylor also looks like he's not bad as well.

It's not a bad trait as a manager that you have so many players who are willing to jump at the chance to come and play for you again.

I really don't like the addition of Watt, in the same way I didn't like the addition of Main, and for the best part of 18 months I was spot on in my judgement of the latter.

Robinson did a number of Main, his recent performances have been key to our success, but I'll not lie and say it doesn't stick my throat a little it took that long to get a song out of the lad - you can blame either Goodwin or Main, or even both, I don't care.

With that in mind, I'm inclined to just go with it. I still feel a Main/Watt pairing up front will be a brutal watch, but what the f**k do I know, eh?

13 minutes ago, medals said:

Reid's deal is done, just to officially be announced.

13 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Reid is done.

Not sure what the hold up is though, it was actually signed off and completed before Erhahon's early in the afternoon so not sure what the hold up is.

It is a bit odd that it's taken this long to make it official, you'd think they'd want it signed off as soon as poss.

5 minutes ago, Ric said:

It is a bit odd that it's taken this long to make it official, you'd think they'd want it signed off as soon as poss.

Not really. It's already signed off. Likely the paperwork filed as well. These things now usually get co-ordinated between clubs and Palace might be holding off.

Our delay in announcing Watt was letting Dundee Utd's social media team get their announcement together.

Good to have a manager that players really want to play for.

If Robbo can get the best out of Watt, then we've won a watch.

The improvement in team spirit compared to Last seaon is quite remarkable.

Anyone apart from the lovesick puppy still missing Goodwin?

If we get the Tony Watt that was at Motherwell then his signing is a masterstroke and there is no real reason to suggest Robbo won't be able to get that out of him again.

I think he plays best through the middle whereas for some reason Utd seemed to stick him out on the left. I never really understood that.

He's here for 16 league games, and he's also eligible for the cup tie at Parkhead as he didn't play for Utd in their 4th round game.

Well worth a punt IMO and if it comes off we might finally crack this top six malarky!

5 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Good to have a manager that players really want to play for.

If Robbo can get the best out of Watt, then we've won a watch.

The improvement in team spirit compared to Last seaon is quite remarkable.

Anyone apart from the lovesick puppy still missing Goodwin?

I've done the full 180 on Robbo.

I didn't like his fairly abrasive approach to the squad when he first came in, but I've grown to love the guy and the biggest compliment I could pay him is that I'd far rather have him running the team than either Jim Goodwin or Jack Ross and I absolutely loved both of them as manager.

In Robbo we trust!

5 minutes ago, Div said:

If we get the Tony Watt that was at Motherwell then his signing is a masterstroke and there is no real reason to suggest Robbo won't be able to get that out of him again.

I think he plays best through the middle whereas for some reason Utd seemed to stick him out on the left. I never really understood that.

He's here for 16 league games, and he's also eligible for the cup tie at Parkhead as he didn't play for Utd in their 4th round game.

Well worth a punt IMO and if it comes off we might finally crack this top six malarky!

And win the cup. 

17 minutes ago, Ric said:

I really don't like the addition of Watt, in the same way I didn't like the addition of Main, and for the best part of 18 months I was spot on in my judgement of the latter.

Robinson did a number of Main, his recent performances have been key to our success, but I'll not lie and say it doesn't stick my throat a little it took that long to get a song out of the lad - you can blame either Goodwin or Main, or even both, I don't care.

With that in mind, I'm inclined to just go with it. I still feel a Main/Watt pairing up front will be a brutal watch, but what the f**k do I know, eh?

Not quite, given he's only actually been with the club just over 18 months at this point.

You were spot on for around 9 months - he started showing his actual worth towards the last 5 or 6 games of last season. And most of the fans were in full agreement. The difference is that it doesn't stick in other folk's craws because the guy put his hands up and admitted his shortcomings, injuries and a lot of bad breaks not going his way last season but also promised to be a lot better this season and has been true to his word.

5 minutes ago, Div said:

I can confirm that it is him. I don't know any other Tony Watts who are footballers.... I'm just having a laugh as I'm in good spirits. (not extracting urine)

Scary if one is a pessimist when it all seems to be going well.

2 minutes ago, Div said:

I didn't like his fairly abrasive approach to the squad when he first came in, but I've grown to love the guy and the biggest compliment I could pay him is that I'd far rather have him running the team than either Jim Goodwin or Jack Ross and I absolutely loved both of them as manager.

In Robbo we trust!

Agreed. There was a lot of 'the players can't take to him at all' mumblings at the start but again, when you see the amount of former players who are more than happy to link up with him again, you don't get that if a manager is fucking nightmare to work for...he's definitely the type of guy who seems right down the line with his squad. Put an arm around them when needed, kick their balls when needed, but always approachable and honest to a fault, even in his media dealings.

3 minutes ago, Div said:

In Robbo we trust!

Totally agree. Anyone who can make me completely change my opinion on Main is a top guy. 

You got to love wee Robbo.