The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

23 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

He’s more likely to earn us a fair wedge in future transfers. It’s a shame he was never given more game time.

100% this.  I'd have let him go for nothing if we could have upped the sell on % fee for future moves. 

John McGinn will eventually bring us in our largest ever transfer fee. Sometimes it's about the long game. I doubt he'll command the 50m that Manchester Utd were reportedly offering, but both us and Hibs will be in the money when he moves onwards. I would hope the same will be said for Reid one day.  

Its mega unusual for us to have any action on transfer day, Goodwin did his business early on and historically it was a case of keeping fingers crossed that we'd hold on to what we had.

I think I like it... 

2 minutes ago, Doonhame Buddie said:

Thierry Small would seem a strange use of a wage. Wasn’t Richard Taylor signed as cover for the LB position?

No Small is a LB who can cover for Tanser and O'Hara. RT is a left sided CB who could possibly cover LB, but not a wing back type

5 minutes ago, Doonhame Buddie said:

Thierry Small would seem a strange use of a wage. Wasn’t Richard Taylor signed as cover for the LB position?

He's more of a centre half and most likely with view to tying down on a longer deal beyond this season. Currently Dunne has not signed a new deal and Shaugnessy was close to leaving last window.

5 minutes ago, Doctor Sanchez said:

John McGinn will eventually bring us in our largest ever transfer fee. Sometimes it's about the long game. I doubt he'll command the 50m that Manchester Utd were reportedly offering, but both us and Hibs will be in the money when he moves onwards. I would hope the same will be said for Reid one day.  

He already has. Not sure what the exact total is but something like;

£120K fee from Hibs
30% sell on Hibs profit on £2.75m sale to Villa - c£780K
30% of Villa promotion clause - c£300K

So we've already had about £1.2m all in for him, and still another payday to come assume he leaves Villa for more than £2.75m!

7 minutes ago, Doonhame Buddie said:

Taylor was direct cover for Dunne but apparently could operate at LB in a pinch. However, given Shaughnessy is kicking about in a boot just now, Taylor will be used more as CB cover so there was definitely a need for a LB, particularly as until his far more decent performance on Saturday, Tanser definitely looked in need of a 'rest'.

1 minute ago, Div said:

He already has. Not sure what the exact total is but something like;

£120K fee from Hibs
30% sell on Hibs profit on £2.75m sale to Villa - c£780K
30% of Villa promotion clause - c£300K

So we've already had about £1.2m all in for him, and still another payday to come assume he leaves Villa for more than £2.75m!

Yea, I hadn't done the sums for his moves so far. I have been waiting and hoping he goes for stupid money over the last few seasons.  

I think the £2.75m is assured, even if he stays at Villa for 10 more years.  

I guess the previous record was still for Ian Ferguson in '88?  

Last time we signed an on-loan left back from England he absolutely pocketed Tavernier in a famous victory for the Paisley Saints. He didn't do much else for us, to be fair, but that may have been down to being assaulted by some thug from Livi.

Oh, and if we're signing Tony Watt, I might need to go and delete some tweets 😬

I'm in a bit of a minority as I like Tanser, but I do accept that he's far better going forward than he is defensively.

He's been the weakest link in the back five this season and so the signing of someone else to play or at least compete for that position is not unexpected.

Tait can of course cover on either side but in his case I do think he's more suited to playing as a traditional full back. He can also at a push cover in the middle of the park as well if we need to.

I do still think we are one player light but I think fans will always look for more!

Just now, Div said:

I'm in a bit of a minority as I like Tanser, but I do accept that he's far better going forward than he is defensively.

He's been the weakest link in the back five this season and so the signing of someone else to play or at least compete for that position is not unexpected.

Tanser had his best game in about 3 months on Saturday. Thought he was far better than the uncharacteristically poor Ryan Strain.

5 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Taylor was direct cover for Dunne but apparently could operate at LB in a pinch. However, given Shaughnessy is kicking about in a boot just now, Taylor will be used more as CB cover so there was definitely a need for a LB, particularly as until his far more decent performance on Saturday, Tanser definitely looked in need of a 'rest'.

Mark O'Hara was wearing a moon boot a couple of days before he started against Dundee. Not always the case that it's a serious one.

Hopefully Joe or Dec will be fit to play tomorrow night as I wouldn't really like to go to Pittodrie with Gogic at CB and no Ethan in the middle of the park.

Just now, djchapsticks said:

Tanser had his best game in about 3 months on Saturday. Thought he was far better than the uncharacteristically poor Ryan Strain.

Yeah he had a decent game on Saturday. Strain still weighed in with an assist!

8 minutes ago, Div said:

Tait can of course cover on either side but in his case I do think he's more suited to playing as a traditional full back. He can also at a push cover in the middle of the park as well if we need to.

I do still think we are one player light but I think fans will always look for more!

Any centre mid in the Premiership would run rings round Tait in that area of the pitch. That is an experiment we can all do without. 

2 minutes ago, buddie06smfc said:

Any centre mid in the Premiership would run rings round Tait in that area of the pitch. That is an experiment we can all do without. 

Not something I am recommending, just saying he has done it before. Flynn can also do it but again I wouldn't like to try it out!

Hard to imagine we can go between now and the end of the season just with O'Hara, Baccus, Kiltie and Gogic to occupy those three jerseys. It's not enough IMO.

11 minutes ago, buddie06smfc said:

Tait has broken down again anyhow. At least 3 or 4 weeks. He's not got speed and though has been a good servant, he has to be gone by the summer.