The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

14 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

I blame Goodwin for Reid's lack of progress into the first team.

He begged the boy to stay by dangling the carrot of first team football, then proceeded to bomb almost completely.

The boy is obviously talented and the best of luck to him.

Erhahon is a big blow. SR clearly got a reaction out of him, something Goodwin clearly failed at. Ethan has been outstanding - barring his ridicvulous red card at Rugby Park - in most games this season and will be hard to replace.

I like Gogic. He's solid and dependable. But can we stop comparing him to Erhahon? Yes, they occupy the same area on the pitch, but they are two totally different players. Gogic is a ball winner/spoiler type and Erhahon is much more of a deep lying playmaker.

For me, we need a stiker, a centre mid and a left back today.

I agree, Ethan is a big loss. I trust Robbo to replace him but he's up against it time wise.

Why do clubs leave fucking everything until the last possible minute!

Why did Lincoln and Palace not sort their moves out last week, why the fuck is it ALWAYS the last day!

16 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Apparently we missed out on Conor Shields of Motherwell. Thank feck for that

I took it as a wee dig about us signing  ex and Motherwell players as a wee fishing line. The first tweet read QOS beat St Mirren to Shields signature. 

5 minutes ago, medals said:

Has JG and SR done the same thing with Reid?

Not trying to be controversial but some folk might think that.

There are various factors at play and the buck stops with results and it's most often the managers head that is on the block.

Kiltie has not featured that much and he's a good solid pro, that's how good we've been in midfield this season

The point I'm making is that Reid should have been given more game time a year ago to help with his development with a view to bedding him into the starting 11 eventually. None of that happened at all and it started under Goodwin, who is supposed to have vowed to give him more minutes. As far as I;m aware, Robinson didn't make that same assurance.

17 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

The point I'm making is that Reid should have been given more game time a year ago to help with his development with a view to bedding him into the starting 11 eventually. None of that happened at all and it started under Goodwin, who is supposed to have vowed to give him more minutes. As far as I;m aware, Robinson didn't make that same assurance.

Ok valid point. But didn't Reid re-sign under SR with a similar expectation of more game time instead of going to Tic.?

13 minutes ago, medals said:

Ok valid point. But didn't Reid re-sign under SR with a similar expectation of more game time instead of going to Tic.?

I don't think it was stated publicly, but I assumed the reason he turned down Celtic last summer (aside from general staunchness) was he'd been told he'd get more game time in the first team.

3 hours ago, houston_bud said:

I like Erhahon, I like Gogic. Is this wrong? Do I need to pick a side in this argument?

Some real petty shit going on with our fans about both players. Both are really good players who can excel at times operating in the same  position within the team.

Ethan has been excellent this season he’s young and still learning his trade. Hopefully he’s does progress and gets a bigger move after doing well for Lincoln. 

1 hour ago, pozbaird said:

Ethan must regard Lincoln as a stepping stone to get recognised down South, and get a big move from there. Kinda’ similar to the Virgil Van Dijks, Fraser Forsters, Kieran Tierneys, and Victor Wanyamas of this world. Go to a bit of a diddy feeder club, then get a proper move.

Best wishes to Erhahon and Reid. The two minutes I’ve seen of Reid were a good two minutes.

Check the clubs they initially signed for, Lincoln are way below the standard of all of them ! It seems a bizarre move to me for Ethan but no doubt he will be in considerably more money which must be the driving factor as exposure wise Lincoln offer little compared to where he was.

5 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Check the clubs they initially signed for, Lincoln are way below the standard of all of them ! It seems a bizarre move to me for Ethan but no doubt he will be in considerably more money which must be the driving factor as exposure wise Lincoln offer little compared to where he was.

I suppose the flip side of that is that he might reasonably expect to get more game time there than at a club at a higher level. How many times have we witnessed players heading dahn saaf only to play reserves or sit on the bench? 

Time will tell if this works out for him, but I wish him the very best on his move.

7 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

*cough*. I think all those listed players had one club in common, that might have been the point. 
Agree that Lincoln is a strange move but I hope the deal includes sizeable chunks of and future transfers. 

14 minutes ago, Doonhame Buddie said:

*cough*. I think all those listed players had one club in common, that might have been the point. 
Agree that Lincoln is a strange move but I hope the deal includes sizeable chunks of and future transfers. 

Have a greenie. 😎