The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

I feel we are hostages to fortune here. Erhahon and Reid we have little control over, and while we could block any move, it would only be for the short term and in turn we'd likely lose out financially doing so. However, it is still up to either player if they do move on, so I guess Robinson is needing to be reactive, rather than pro-active, which I think is where his comment comes from.

Edited by Ric

Rumours that Ayr United are trying to sign Reece McAlear from Tranmare, think he's been unlucky with injuries there. Were we not linked with him before when he left Inverness at the end of last season or was that just the papers talking as he'd worked with Robinson at Motherwell?

If we were to lose Erhahon and Baccus he might be a reasonable addition to the squad.

You have to laugh at folk pretending to be in the know about fees being banded about for footballers. As if they have a hotline to the chief exec at each club who run any fees past them. Threre's simply no way we'll know the final figure Erhahon goes for. All we do know is it's at very least £300k due to the development fee.

It'll be an interesting day to see what sort of movement there is. I'm confident in SR's recruitment, he hasn't gotten a lot wroing so far, so I've faith that if there are any coming in the way then SR wil be happy with them.

I know there's more money down south, even in League One, but none of the clubs that have been linked with Erhahon strike me as having £300k+ to spend. It would be close on to a record transfer fee for Lincoln. Most transfer deals are instalments so I imagine this'll be spread out even more than normal.

Hope Baccus doesn't go to Wigan as has been suggested on here. Wasn't a great move for McGrath.

As far as I am aware there has only been one tweet about Baccus and that was to Wigan. However I have just read a tweet about Wigan wanting and making offers for 3 Hibs players which include 2 midfielders (Campbell and Henderson). I think Baccus will still be with us tomorrow.

Gogic is a better player than Erhahon and the midfield is far more dynamic and attacking when he starts so not bothered about Erhahon going. But we do need another striker if Ayunga is out. Preferably one that can score goals.

1 hour ago, Buttocks Brown said:

What's the attitude then, going into today, of those who have been criticising the board's lack of financial prudence?

1. Aim for top 4 / 6 and spend money on a new player or two.

2. Finances first: we're likely safe from relegation so use the Academy boys.

Has to be the latter?

Don't think finances are the primary issue at all. Just good to plead poverty rather that be an easy target for being ripped-off.

We can aim for top 6 without overspending. SR said he was planning to balance having committed to 1 extra player Gogic. So the scope is there now to juggle and we'll do the same in the summer window.

2, 3 or 4 in today?

Edited by medals

11 minutes ago, Stu said:

I know there's more money down south, even in League One, but none of the clubs that have been linked with Erhahon strike me as having £300k+ to spend. It would be close on to a record transfer fee for Lincoln. Most transfer deals are instalments so I imagine this'll be spread out even more than normal.

Hope Baccus doesn't go to Wigan as has been suggested on here. Wasn't a great move for McGrath.

If you go onto the Lincoln forums, apparently they have shifted (or are planning shifting) two players out, each of them reportedly £250k each. Now, obvs, those are forum stats (like ours) and rarely match with reality, but in terms of Lincoln it seems they are getting money in. Whether that money materialises, and whether Erhahon is swayed by it, we'll just need to wait and see.

With Wigan it seems like they are being linked with everyone, and if you believe the tabloids and social media, he's about to recruit an entirely new team. I think the Baccus rumour had something to it before Maloney was put in place, but for me that's waned somewhat now.

30 minutes ago, buddie06smfc said:

Will be glad when Erhahon gets his well deserved move and more money so I can stop hearing about how terrible a player he is and how Gogic is the best at absolutely everything. 

Put it this way, no club has ever or will ever pay six figures for Gogic.

Gogic is a good player for us and done well when he took the step up to Hibs too but he’s not as technically gifted or generally as good as Ethan.

Ethan will be a huge miss and we’ll be doing very well to replace his role in the team properly today.

Edited by SS77

12 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Alex Lowry could be put out on loan from Rangers. Would be a good addition if we lose both Ethan and Keanu

If (as seems probable) we are about to lose an unspecified number of our experienced first team squad players we must replace them with players with similar experience. Offord and Jamieson will surely have been recalled from loans as back-ups and bench fillers this season. A 19 year old with only one appearance for Rangers is not what we need IMO.

1 minute ago, houston_bud said:

I like Erhahon, I like Gogic. Is this wrong? Do I need to pick a side in this argument?

Both of them different players and it’s good to have a solid holding midfielder (with a different set of skills) ready to step in and play when Ethan leaves. 

Just now, houston_bud said:

I like Erhahon, I like Gogic. Is this wrong? Do I need to pick a side in this argument?

I don't understand the either/or aspect among fans.

Both have merits, both have flaws.

Gogic is versatile, hard in the tackle and unyielding but technically not very proficient and his passing is iffy.

Ethan is a great passer, clever and not lazy (unlike some that would have you believe differently) but he's not quite as all action and his mouth gets him into a bit of trouble to the point where I'm surprised more officials haven't dug him up for it.

Both are good players in their own right - if they were both the same age, the conversation over them would be very different but the reality is that Gogic at this point is a good solid journeyman and Ethan has an opportunity to continue to develop into better than he is just now.

2 hours ago, Buttocks Brown said:

What's the attitude then, going into today, of those who have been criticising the board's lack of financial prudence?

1. Aim for top 4 / 6 and spend money on a new player or two.

2. Finances first: we're likely safe from relegation so use the Academy boys.

Has to be the latter?

I'm still with option 1 here. 

Our draw against Celtic wasn't announced before 2021/22 finances were published, so that draw is already a boost. 
There is a financial gain from finishing higher up the league and this season looks more realistic than last with a better consistency and a settled management team in place. That as we all know though is not a given.

There is however a big difference between the January window and pre-contracts/summer window. 
Right now it will probably more difficult to negotiate lower terms with players, though we can be more shrewd in the summer.

If you get it right and our scout finds players that are on lesser wage demands, you can reduce the wage bill and/or get more than one player for the same amount as a high earner. Taylor as an example looks to be a real find and could end up being a replacement for one of our existing defenders on a higher wage.

Right now, ideally I think if it's Reid and Erhahon away and Ayunga is potentially out for the season, we would be looking at possibly a loanee midfielder and a forward (to fill in for Ayunga). I personally think we need cover at left back too, though Robinson seemed happy to see out this window with no incomings if it was just Reid away and before Ayunga got injured.