The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

42 minutes ago, elvis said:

The Imps have been linked with a permanent deal for St Mirren midfielder Ethan Erhahon.

Midfielder Erhahon is hot property in Scotland, having represented their Under 21 team, but he’s been the subject of intense speculation over the winter window. Oxford and Forest Green have both allegedly had bids lodged for the player, with a six-figure bid from the latter accepted. It seems the player may not have fancied the move as it hasn’t materialised, and now we’re at the head of the queue.

The Glasgow-born 21-year-old is out of contract this summer, and it’s believed St Mirren are hoping to cash in now, rather than risk getting a lower fee courtesy of the tribunal system later in the year. Jez George is reported to have visited St Mirren this weekend to watch the midfielder, with a bid seemingly having been prepped. Football League World have tweeted that a £300,000 deal has been agreed upon; my understanding is the actual figure is some way south of that.

So who is this source exactly? A Lincoln supporter?

You mention over on BAWA that this person 'seems to be in the know' but there's nothing there that suggests that whatsoever apart from the phrase, 'my understanding is'.

Edited by djchapsticks

4 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

So who is this source exactly? A Lincoln supporter?

You mention over on BAWA that this person 'seems to be in the know' but there's nothing there that suggests that whatsoever apart from the phrase, 'my understanding is'.

So where does he get his understanding from.

Just now, elvis said:

So where does he get his understanding from.

He could, quite obviously, be making it up.

My understanding is also that £300k is not the figure. It's closer to £500k.

So who are you believing now? I've provided the same amount of sources that this randomer did.

1 minute ago, AW saint said:

It is going to be a very interesting last day of the window. Hope we have targets lined up if players go out the door. 

Still don't think Watt will happen. 

Hoping Baccus stays as well. 

Even if Watt doesn't happen, there will almost certainly be a forward in.

Young Kyle Gunn reporting he's expecting a busy day with movements happening both ways.

2 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Even if Watt doesn't happen, there will almost certainly be a forward in.

Young Kyle Gunn reporting he's expecting a busy day with movements happening both ways.

There's a new quote from SR saying he expects players out in the next 24 hours , "and trusts the BOD to provide the finances for new signings"  although "it's not the way I usually go about things" !

8 minutes ago, billyg said:

There's a new quote from SR saying he expects players out in the next 24 hours , "and trusts the BOD to provide the finances for new signings"  although "it's not the way I usually go about things" !

That gives me the fear!

13 minutes ago, billyg said:

4 minutes ago, Div said:

That gives me the fear!

Reasonable to assume that Robbo likes to be more in control. He did his business very early in the summer. We know why Brophy has been allowed to go and I suspect Robbo was happy with the squad, until Ayunga got injured.

Ethan was always gonna go, and Reid leaving doesn't impact the team. It's a real shame if this great balancing of the books gets undermined by a total freak injury.

It's terribly sad that a player would opt to play for a League One English club, than remain at St. Mirren. If folk talk about 'the shop window' then I would suggest plying one's trade in the top-flight in Scotland would provide a player with more media exposure.

But what do I know?

6 hours ago, G_&_T said:

It's terribly sad that a player would opt to play for a League One English club, than remain at St. Mirren. If folk talk about 'the shop window' then I would suggest plying one's trade in the top-flight in Scotland would provide a player with more media exposure.

But what do I know?

If there are no clubs in the English Championship interested and three League 1 teams have only shown an interest, it kind of shows you where he's rated down there. Maybe no championship team see him ready as a first team regular.

Better money and better platform along with his desire to play in England, this will put him Infront of bigger clubs who may show interest in a year or two down the line.

24 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

What's the attitude then, going into today, of those who have been criticising the board's lack of financial prudence?

1. Aim for top 4 / 6 and spend money on a new player or two.

2. Finances first: we're likely safe from relegation so use the Academy boys.

Has to be the latter?

In an ideal world the latter. However if we go on a losing run the others will soon catch up. 10 points ahead is nothing. 

Reid was deemed the closest academy player ready for the midfield and he is away. 

We need to bring in replacements capable of keeping us in the top 6