The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

8 minutes ago, Div said:

We won't get a million pounds for Baccus, not in this transfer anyway.

Does anybody know, if Baccus was to be sold (with or without a sell-on clause), would his former club in Australia have a claim on part of that money ?

7 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Does anybody know, if Baccus was to be sold (with or without a sell-on clause), would his former club in Australia have a claim on part of that money ?

Wouldn't be surprised if there was some sort of clause in the deal that brought him to us but guess that depends what his contract status was when he left Australia.

Did we pay a fee for him or was he a free agent?

11 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

All clubs who developed him are due a share of 5% of any transfer fee for the rest of a player's career. The 5% is broken down by how many years and which years before 23rd Birthday they were at.

For example, any John McGinn fee (on top of the existing sell on clause) we get 3.5% of his transfer fee and Hibs 1.5% - the same will apply the other way with Baccus.

There's no sell-on clause though, he joined us upon expiry of contract and had passed his 23rd birthday when he did so there was no need to negotiate a fee or sell-on.

Edited by djchapsticks

13 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Total speculation, of course, but Watt might be a replacement for Main.

Main's new contract has been on the table for awhile now..... maybe he's signed a pre-contract elsewhere?

Anyway, with the injury to Ayunga and possible exit of Erhahon this is where the Head of Recruitment should earn his crust. Hopefully plans will be in place for all scenarios.

I'd like to think Maino will sign a new deal but Watt would definitely not be a direct replacement for the role he performs in the team.

16 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Anyway, with the injury to Ayunga and possible exit of Erhahon this is where the Head of Recruitment should earn his crust. Hopefully plans will be in place for all scenarios.

Robinson mentioned at the start of the month that plans were in place for targets should budget become available in January and end of contract targets for the summer. 

3 minutes ago, Div said:

I'd like to think Maino will sign a new deal but Watt would definitely not be a direct replacement for the role he performs in the team.

Totally agree. Very unlikely Watt would be ours next season anyway. He's off our pay charts and Utd are saving wages but hoping he becomes attractive to someone after a short term loan.

12 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Robinson mentioned at the start of the month that plans were in place for targets should budget become available in January and end of contract targets for the summer. 

Club needs to very carefully balance things tomorrow.

Last thing we need is a Kenny McLean type situation where letting him go so late was ultimately the final nail in that seasons coffin.

Scenario obviously different this time but what happens in the next 30 odd hours could really affect our chances of finally nailing that top six place.

I have total trust in Robbo and Foyle in terms of their recruitment process though. Could be some day!

Signing Tony Watt would be a major concern to me. The guy's had more clubs than Jack Nicklaus - why have so many clubs punted him before the end of his contract ? Everything points to player with a shite attitude who does the business when he fancies it, and who chucks it when the going gets tough. Not a character I would want to bring into a happy changing room. 

1 minute ago, Wilbur said:

Signing Tony Watt would be a major concern to me. The guy's had more clubs than Jack Nicklaus - why have so many clubs punted him before the end of his contract ? Everything points to player with a shite attitude who does the business when he fancies it, and who chucks it when the going gets tough. Not a character I would want to bring into a happy changing room. 

Stephen Robinson wouldn’t sign a guy with a bad attitude or a guy who he thought would disrupt the dressing room.

Just now, Wilbur said:

I do get that concern but overwhelming trust in the manager. He's got his recruitment pretty much bang on the money both in terms of ability and in terms of personality so far. He's worked with Watt so he knows what he's getting if he does go down that route.

I still find it hard to believe we'll go for and get him to be honest.

£350k now the fee being quoted for Ethan. 

Add that to the (presumably) region of £150-200k for Dylan Reid and that does ease the budget concerns very significantly.

I now fully expect a couple of new faces in tomorrow at least given we have shifted out Henderson, Brophy, Olusanya, Reid, Erhahon in this window and have lost Ayunga and Shaughnessy to injury and only brought Richard Taylor in.

11 minutes ago, Div said:

Club needs to very carefully balance things tomorrow.

Last thing we need is a Kenny McLean type situation where letting him go so late was ultimately the final nail in that seasons coffin.

We quite simply cannot afford to lose 3 central midfielders (two of them first picks) in one day.

We keep Baccus unless the money on offer is absolutely ridiculous and if he finishes the season as he started it, we will get a better deal in summer when clubs have more budget.

Edited by djchapsticks

Would be very disappointing to see Baccus, Erhahon and Reid leave. I get that the latter two were always likely to look to pastures new, and Reid very rarely made an appearance, but losing two of your first start midfielders, just hours before the window closes is a nightmare scenario.

In terms of Watt, I'm not a fan. Plus, I think he'll want decent wages (he'd expect them going somewhere else, say like St Johnstone). Robinson might feel he can get more out of him, and he certainly turned Main's St Mirren career around, but I'd still rather we look at other options. I'm also not sure how brutal a Watt/Main pairing would be, it certainly wouldn't be blessed with creativity and losing good passers like Erhahon and possibly Baccus wouldn't help that front two either. Greive should get more game time now but with only Offord and Jamieson as backup, and if Ayunga is out long term, we'll need someone in, ideally someone with experience but God knows where you pull that from considering a striker with experience will be on every club's wish list. Brophy is at County, and to be honest, he should stay there. Re-asses his situation in the Summer, where he is he can't "harm us" and he's saving us money while doing so.

It's looking a pretty pivotal month, with the window nearly shut, with injuries and players going out, and with form that has flatlined a little, I think whatever happens in the few weeks will determine our season.

Edit: ..oh, and I wouldn't be surprised if the window shut and we 'were light' and Robinson pulls out a couple of free signings that have been left rattling about League One or Two in England.

Edited by Ric

7 minutes ago, elvis said:

Rumour has it waters is coming back on loan

:lol: Naw he's no.

You've based that on one guy saying it on BAWA then posting his Welcome photo from the last time.

We're no signing Waters FFS, he can't even get into that Killie squad on the regular.

Edited by djchapsticks

1 hour ago, Div said:

Think we need to set expectations on Baccus. If we get an offer of half a million for him we will take it.

Whether that's right or wrong I think that's the reality of the situation.

Do you think we would accept only 500k (only 150k more than Erhahon)for a player with 18 months left on contract and just over a month since returning from world cup duty? I could maybe see that valuation come the summer.

If the reported number of clubs I've heard are interested this window, could be quite interesting to see if any put an offer forward or hold off till summer.

33 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Just speculation, though I heard he was a mouthpiece in the dressing room during Jack Ross' final few games 

1 minute ago, smellthepaw said:

Do you think we would accept only 500k (only 150k more than Erhahon)for a player with 18 months left on contract and just over a month since returning from world cup duty? I could maybe see that valuation come the summer.

Is there a possibility that his agent negotiated/inserted a transfer release fee in the contract with Saints.