The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

I'm not 100% well versed but if both are longer term, we would more than likely have medical insurance to cover their wages whilst absent, no?

That would possibly free up a bit of the wage bill for a replacement.

Don't think it works like that mate. I might be wrong but insurance will only cover them for operations or consultations etc.....

4 minutes ago, Div said:

Don't think it works like that mate. I might be wrong but insurance will only cover them for operations or consultations etc.....

Fair enough. I thought any long term illness or injury would be covered to be honest. Same as if I take an illness and need to go off work for 4-6 months, my wages are 100% paid but my employer pays and reclaims these.

I'm sure I remember it being rationalised as the reason we gave Darren McGregor another deal following 2 years out with back to back cruciate ligament injuries years ago. He was low risk as his outlay to the club during the two lengthy lay off periods was minimal so giving him a new deal wasn't a massive gamble.

I've always just assumed same thing applied ever since then.

18 minutes ago, Div said:

No chance we are in for Tony Watt. He'll be on a similar wedge to Brophy I'd imagine and Robbo quite openly stating the decision to let Brophy go to Dingwall was purely financial.

I believe the Dylan to Palace move is very close and should go through without any hitches before the window closes. Not sure what we're getting in terms of up front cash but the key to that one is going to be the sell on. Longer term game there I think and with him out of contract in the Summer and not playing regularly for us it makes complete sense.

I was told that assuming that move goes through, plus Brophy moving to County, plus the bonus of the Celtic cup money should mean nobody else needs to move on in this window. If anyone does go though, the manager would have scope to bring in replacement(s).

Obviously if Carson/Ayunga injuries are longer term that changes things again but given the above I think they will find the money to bring in a loan or two.

Typically I thought Ayunga looked as lively as I've seen him in weeks on Saturday when he came on!

Spot on with all of this imo.

Just don't see the sense in bringing in Watt on a similar wage, so it must be a fabricated story.

For us, Dylan going before his contract ended was vital and I am glad in the end up it looks like he is going to a very decent level. Palace have a great academy and there is every chance of him making it down there, whether that is going out on loan in the next year or so in England first of all, I genuinely think he could have a similar path as Billy Gilmour if he gets the head down.

I would like to think if there is upfront cash for Dylan, we may be able to bring in another player, even if its on loan to bring us cover or extra quality. We certainly lack a goal threat at the moment.

I think Ayunga missing the starting lineup is something he maybe needed to get that hunger back. Its unfortunate if his injury on Saturday results in some time out, as I feel he could be very key to our remaining games before the split.

Let me caveat that by saying if that is the case and we CAN replace Ayunga and Carson, it will NOT be with Tony Watt who will be on an absolute fortune and doesn't exactly provide a stellar return for the outlay.

We already have one of those who we were very keen to get off the books.

3 minutes ago, smellthepaw said:

I think Ayunga missing the starting lineup is something he maybe needed to get that hunger back. Its unfortunate if his injury on Saturday results in some time out, as I feel he could be very key to our remaining games before the split.

I don't think it's a hunger thing with Jonah.

I think it's a lack of comfort or ability to play against teams who are stuffy in defence and offer us up a little more of the ball. Some of his worst performances this season have come against Dundee, Ross County, St. Johnstone - games where he's been totally nullified by deep defences and doubling up.

Games against Hearts, Celtic, Rangers, Motherwell, Dundee Utd, he's looked a lot sharper and dangerous. I think it's a case of he can play against teams who set their stall out in one way but not another rather than him looking not interested. Frustrating as you can usually tell with him within 5-10 minutes whether he's going to be an asset or a hinderance.

When United signed Watt from Motherwell, was there not woird flying around that he was offered a very, very decent wage? You'd have to think it'd be similar to the wage of Brophy or even higher?

I've never been a particular fan of Watt TBH, but if SR deems that we need someone like him then it gets my backing.

3 minutes ago, SS77 said:

Alan Nixon running the story on Watt would suggest there’s definitely something in it.

Would be a really strange move all things considered but I'd certainly back Robbo to get a tune out of him.

Just can't see how the finances of that would work, unless there is a big move out happening, a la Baccus.

6 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

When United signed Watt from Motherwell, was there not woird flying around that he was offered a very, very decent wage? You'd have to think it'd be similar to the wage of Brophy or even higher?

I've never been a particular fan of Watt TBH, but if SR deems that we need someone like him then it gets my backing.

Pretty much this. If he doesn’t sign for us, then I never wanted the over-paid dud anyway. If he does sign for us, then it’s a great signing to provide something different up top, welcome to Paisley…

😎

4 minutes ago, Div said:

Would be a really strange move all things considered but I'd certainly back Robbo to get a tune out of him.

Just can't see how the finances of that would work, unless there is a big move out happening, a la Baccus.

I’m not giving Nixon £3 to read one article but I think he’s suggested that it’s a loan move - maybe the clubs will come to an agreement that we pay 50% or less of his wage? 

Like you said above - we’ve got money coming in from the Celtic game, Reid to Palace and saving on Brophy at County. We might be using some of that to cover the cost of a 6 month loan for Watt?

9 minutes ago, SS77 said:

I’m not giving Nixon £3 to read one article but I think he’s suggested that it’s a loan move - maybe the clubs will come to an agreement that we pay 50% or less of his wage? 

Like you said above - we’ve got money coming in from the Celtic game, Reid to Palace and saving on Brophy at County. We might be using some of that to cover the cost of a 6 month loan for Watt?

I suppose it's possible but I'd still rate it very, very unlikely.

St.Johnstone probably in a much better position to take on his wage, particularly if they aren't going to get Jordan White.

57 minutes ago, Div said:

Only a rumour but I heard Erhahon still might be away.

I hope neither.

The Watt loan won't be for 6 months either. 15 weeks or there abouts.

13 minutes ago, medals said:

Only a rumour but I heard Erhahon still might be away.

I hope neither.

The Watt loan won't be for 6 months either. 15 weeks or there abouts.

Lincoln City seem in a much better place league position wise than Forest Green were. They have a similar path to Forest Green though, in terms of rising from National League to league 1. 

Unsure where this one will go, though I think if Erhahon does move, he will be making assurances that he is involved regularly to the first team to consider it as he can no longer be considered as a 'development' player. 

Erhahon would be better staying rather than sign for a team floating around the lower reaches of League One down south.  Would get a development fee anyway.  The club seem desperate to sort out finances by accepting Lincoln"s offer as well as Forest Green.