The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

16 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Shows the improvement in the club's fortunes since the GS / SMISA takeover.

With the old board, we managed 40+ points in 3/9 seasons.

With the new board, (discounting the C19 season), looks like it'll be 40+ in 3/4 seasons with the past 3 seasons bettering anything pre-SMISA.

Maybe it just shows that budgeting for 7th gets you a better squad. 

27 minutes ago, btb said:

Maybe it just shows that budgeting for 7th gets you a better squad. 

Dave Cormack (budgeting for 3rd) might disagree. Hearts, Hibs and Dundee Utd have also been relegated in recent seasons behind less well-off clubs.

No doubt there are a lot of reasons for our improvement. I'm just savouring the pleasant change of not being in a dogfight every season!

The problem we have is trying to keep a small squad fit. Ayunga and now Carson going for scans. Big Joe missing yesterday and Tait out for weeks.  Added to this suspensions and the likes of Gallagher needing injections to play. 

How we have reached 30 points is testamont to our superb squad management by Robbo. 

If only we could add a player or 2 for the run in. 

If Ayunga is going to be out for a spell, is recalling Brophy an option? Not saying this is what will/should happen, just wondering if it would be allowed given we're still in the transfer window.

Whilst Ayunga would be a miss, surely we carry it, considering we have Greive, Offord and Jamieson at the club and also Kiltie as an option at a push? Carson is a different issue, they will have to replace him in some way or another.

I'm guessing the Reid deal is done, so need to see if we lose Erhahon/Baccus. I hope not as I felt we missed Baccus energy yesterday and Erhahon, even when not having his best game was still the best midfielder on the pitch.

2 hours ago, Bobby_F said:

Both would be a loss, but Carson especially.

He's in excellent form at the moment.

Would like to have seen the Ayunga incident again but they didn't show it on Sportscene.

The Ayunga tackle was just really unfortunate. It had a few replays on the dodgy feed I was watching. Ayunga was lunging, the defender got to the ball first and they collided. Total accident and just a footballing incident.

I can see why it was sore for him, but in my non expert opinion I think it'll be ligaments but I'd be inclined to think it won't have caused any significant damage.

1 minute ago, Biscuits said:

Tony Watt rumours?

Does not strike me as a Robinson, happy together dressing room, type of signing. Boy can play but his attitude would have have me think this a non starter.

10 minutes ago, scam75 said:

Does not strike me as a Robinson, happy together dressing room, type of signing. Boy can play but his attitude would have have me think this a non starter.

Robinson signed him at Motherwell and they had a great relationship by all accounts.

Edited by SS77

No chance we are in for Tony Watt. He'll be on a similar wedge to Brophy I'd imagine and Robbo quite openly stating the decision to let Brophy go to Dingwall was purely financial.

I believe the Dylan to Palace move is very close and should go through without any hitches before the window closes. Not sure what we're getting in terms of up front cash but the key to that one is going to be the sell on. Longer term game there I think and with him out of contract in the Summer and not playing regularly for us it makes complete sense.

I was told that assuming that move goes through, plus Brophy moving to County, plus the bonus of the Celtic cup money should mean nobody else needs to move on in this window. If anyone does go though, the manager would have scope to bring in replacement(s).

Obviously if Carson/Ayunga injuries are longer term that changes things again but given the above I think they will find the money to bring in a loan or two.

Typically I thought Ayunga looked as lively as I've seen him in weeks on Saturday when he came on!

6 minutes ago, Div said:

No chance we are in for Tony Watt. He'll be on a similar wedge to Brophy I'd imagine and Robbo quite openly stating the decision to let Brophy go to Dingwall was purely financial.

Obviously if Carson/Ayunga injuries are longer term that changes things again but given the above I think they will find the money to bring in a loan or two.

Typically I thought Ayunga looked as lively as I've seen him in weeks on Saturday when he came on!

I'm not 100% well versed but if both are longer term, we would more than likely have medical insurance to cover their wages whilst absent, no?

That would possibly free up a bit of the wage bill for a replacement.