The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

2 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Curtis Main is the man. Got to love him. Under Robbo he is superb. Shows the difference in manager. 

Goodwin is a club legend but not a great manager

Goodwin did well as manager, he's moved on now and we're a better side, but he still did well.

3 hours ago, houston_bud said:

Goodwin did well as manager, he's moved on now and we're a better side, but he still did well.

He did well for us at the time but was limited tactically. Football was often dull and predictable and we're a far more potent team under SR than we were with him.

No ill feelings towards him, simply glad we are progressing.  Upwards and onwards.

Edited by medals

45 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

You only have to look at the team spirit Robbo has in the squad. It was never like this under Goodwin. He had brief spells where it went ok but he was nowhere near as good as Robinson

51 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

He helped stabilise the club after a rocky period. We've spent a fortune in doing so 😂 but we are an established Premiership team again. He played more than played his part. Signed loads of Irish ballers too. Should have made the top 6 and at least a cup final but it wasnt meant to be.

The Aberdeen job, whilst one of the most attractive in Scotland, is turning into a bit of a poisoned chalice. 

2 hours ago, Gosport Buddie said:

Noticed he already had tape on his finger when he took his glove off for treatment

I wouldn’t read too much in to the taping mate - nearly every goalkeeper does it for extra protection underneath the glove!

12 hours ago, pozbaird said:

Straight to the EPL eh? Why does my heart say ‘well done son, all the best’, but my head says ‘Palace send Dylan Reid on loan to Oxford United to get game time experience….Palace youngster Dylan Reid set to sign for Hibernian to get career back on track’…. The Daily Ranger, sometime in 2025.

Spot on, but if Dylan Reid was my son and had the chance to go to Crystal Palace, earn a good few thousands pounds a week for the next 3 years with the possibility of playing Premier League football at the end of it, there wouldn’t be much to think about. There is Championship players in England that are multi-millionaires and have set up their families for life. I know the amount of money flying about the English lower leagues is to the detriment of Scottish clubs, but for the players it’s a gold mine and I don’t think anyone will be critical of Reid’s choice if he does decide to go. 

Games required to reach 30 points - final points total, league position (boss)

06/07 = 36 - 36pts, 11th (MacPherson)

07/08 = 29 - 41pts, 10th (MacPherson)

08/09 = 29 - 37pts, 11th (MacPherson)

09/10 = 35 - 34pts, 10th (MacPherson)

10/11 = 37 - 33pts, 11th (Lennon)

11/12 = 28 - 43pts, 8th (Lennon)

12/13 = 26 - 41pts, 11th (Lennon)

13/14 = 33 - 39pts, 8th (Lennon)

14/15 = 38 - 30pts, 12th (Craig, Teale)

SMISA TAKEOVER

18/19 = 32 - 38pts, 11th (Stubbs, Kearney)

19/20 = season abandoned after 30 games with Saints on 29 pts (Goodwin)

20/21 = 25 - 45pts, 7th (Goodwin)

21/22 = 25 - 44pts, 9th (Goodwin, Robinson)

22/23 = 22 - ?, ? (Robinson)

19 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Games required to reach 30 points - final points total, league position (boss)

06/07 = 36 - 36pts, 11th (MacPherson)

07/08 = 29 - 41pts, 10th (MacPherson)

08/09 = 29 - 37pts, 11th (MacPherson)

09/10 = 35 - 34pts, 10th (MacPherson)

10/11 = 37 - 33pts, 11th (Lennon)

11/12 = 28 - 43pts, 8th (Lennon)

12/13 = 26 - 41pts, 11th (Lennon)

13/14 = 33 - 39pts, 8th (Lennon)

14/15 = 38 - 30pts, 12th (Craig, Teale)

SMISA TAKEOVER

18/19 = 32 - 38pts, 11th (Stubbs, Kearney)

19/20 = season abandoned after 30 games with Saints on 29 pts (Goodwin)

20/21 = 25 - 45pts, 7th (Goodwin)

21/22 = 25 - 44pts, 9th (Goodwin, Robinson)

22/23 = 22 - ?, ? (Robinson)

1.36 PPG and that's with winning just 1 in 10 before yesterday. Shows you the value of not losing games. Just matching that to the split would give us 44/45 points from the 33 games. You would hope that would see us over the line in 6th at worst.