The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

56 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I've mentioned him a few times. Always looked very decent when I've watched Morton on Alba.

He's been about for years as well and always been quite highly rated. Surprised a top flight team hasn't taken a punt.

Ive always assumed Morton would be due 6 figures for him on a PCA.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Ive always assumed Morton would be due 6 figures for him on a PCA.

Yeah, this is why he's never left. There were definitely clubs interested last summer but we were holding out for six figures. He'll be away for nothing this summer now he's turned 23 and that's the risk you run trying to hang on to a promising player asking for a bigger fee than anyone's willing to pay, but I'm happy enough that the club didn't roll over and take a pittance for our best player.

33 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Yeah, this is why he's never left. There were definitely clubs interested last summer but we were holding out for six figures. He'll be away for nothing this summer now he's turned 23 and that's the risk you run trying to hang on to a promising player asking for a bigger fee than anyone's willing to pay, but I'm happy enough that the club didn't roll over and take a pittance for our best player.

You couldn't be trusted with that sort of cash anyway tbh.

39 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Have a fear a couple more will leave with no replacements. A nervy few days to follow

Tidying up the mess after last year's huge loss?

Probably why we've seen Reid and Erhahon both linked with moves away this window instead of the summer throughout this month.

May jeopardise the season, depending who goes, but the finances are more important.

Who's to blame, the previous manager? Previous CEO? Folk on the board? A mix of all of the above?

2 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Who's to blame, the previous manager? Previous CEO? Folk on the board? A mix of all of the above?

Tony unfortunately should take the majority of the blame as he is the one who ultimately signed off on inflated deals.

The board should also take a portion the blame, they gave Tony carte blanche to seemingly spend recklessly.

Jim Goodwin should take none of the blame - he was given a budget and gave the CEO a list of targets. If they weren't available then move onto other targets. The manager at the end of the day never sets out budgets so shouldn't be blamed, ever, for club finances.

The cup draw and getting players off the wage bill coupled with the increased revenue from ticket sales will have gone some way to offset losses and get us closer to break even this financial year. I'd accept right now if Reid and Erhahon did leave in this window, then a short term loan for a more attacking or creative player (be it central or wide) where we'd be paying just a wage and can bank any transfer fees that come in. But I appreciate that seems very unlikely just now.

I feel it's imperative we don't lose Baccus though. I already think we're going to be looking back at Dylan Reid in a few years time and beating ourselves up about the opportunity missed there.

11 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

I'd accept right now if Reid and Erhahon did leave in this window, then a short term loan for a more attacking or creative player (be it central or wide) where we'd be paying just a wage and can bank any transfer fees that come in. But I appreciate that seems very unlikely just now.

I feel it's imperative we don't lose Baccus though. I already think we're going to be looking back at Dylan Reid in a few years time and beating ourselves up about the opportunity missed there.

And as if by magic...

Screenshot_20230128-110052_Twitter.thumb.jpg.5a24acfb49bfafa3fccea52e3d17df1d.jpg

9 minutes ago, btb said:

Crystal Palace - The Premiership. 💰💰💰

Glad to see he's not going to either of the Cheeks!

Agreed.

Feel like any level of time on the pitch may have translated into a slightly longer contract though and a higher fee now, rather than presumably the equivalent of his development fee and add ons based on how he progresses.

Time will tell, just feel we missed the boat a wee bit on the lad. He looked very decent in his limited minutes over the last 2 seasons.

So we were supposedly one big wage over budget say minus 100k - but there are plusses too

Sold Reid 125k

Brophy away for 15 wks  30k

Bigger crowds 200k

Cup game and tv  230k

Toyosi out probably brings in close to what we were getting for the forwards we brought back in.

And we still may finish higher than budgeted.

All approximations of course, so are folk still concerned about this year's finances, cause it looks like we're quids in - am I missing something? 

6 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Agreed.

Feel like any level of time on the pitch may have translated into a slightly longer contract though and a higher fee now, rather than presumably the equivalent of his development fee and add ons based on how he progresses.

Time will tell, just feel we missed the boat a wee bit on the lad. He looked very decent in his limited minutes over the last 2 seasons.

I don't think there was anything else we could have done.

No doubt we would have put a 5 year deal on the table for him if there was any chance he would have signed it.

Clubs have been sniffing around him though since he was 14. I think it was always his intention to have 2 years with us as his first pro contract then move on to a bigger club.

7 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

I don't think there was anything else we could have done.

No doubt we would have put a 5 year deal on the table for him if there was any chance he would have signed it.

Clubs have been sniffing around him though since he was 14. I think it was always his intention to have 2 years with us as his first pro contract then move on to a bigger club.

Agreed. He hummed and hawwed over his last contract with a concern being lack of football and eventually signed it to develop. I just feel he might have signed another year or two if he was getting game time here.

Straight to the EPL eh? Why does my heart say ‘well done son, all the best’, but my head says ‘Palace send Dylan Reid on loan to Oxford United to get game time experience….Palace youngster Dylan Reid set to sign for Hibernian to get career back on track’…. The Daily Ranger, sometime in 2025.

8 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Agreed. He hummed and hawwed over his last contract with a concern being lack of football and eventually signed it to develop. I just feel he might have signed another year or two if he was getting game time here.

But he wasn't.  Midfield has been strong for us and SR's been under pressure to balance the budget?

Are there other factors? Who knows.

Good luck to the lad, he's progressing his career and not likely to play against us in the short term. If he gets a big transfer its likely we'll benefit further too.

It's been the right decision at this time for both him and the club.

Edited by medals