The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

All this chat about how much a player is worth is spurious. He is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for him. That is wildly variable based on from whom and where any bid comes, so throwing figures around is a wee bit pointless and certainly not worth falling out over.

2 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

Saints Scottish Cup live on TV 5.30 kick off . Glad about it being live would have meant a hotel for me.  

Another 24k in tv money plus the share of the takings, at least 200k... no reason then to sell-off 1st team players on the cheap

1 hour ago, Drooper said:

All this chat about how much a player is worth is spurious. He is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for him. That is wildly variable based on from whom and where any bid comes, so throwing figures around is a wee bit pointless and certainly not worth falling out over.

That's half the story. The other half is what price you're willing to sell at. 

Other than the player himself, or some clause in his contract, I can't see any reason to move Baccus on now. Even if he isn't at the level he was at the start of the season, there is no reason he can't get back to that level, so why sell him now at his lowest possible value?

5 hours ago, elvis said:

So because his form has dipped we should except a pittance for him don't talk shite.

Indeed.

I'm certain the clubs that are interested will have focussed on his performances on the biggest footballing stage in the world, rather than a couple of poor performances in the Scottish premiership.

What is it with some of our dafty supporters?

So a wee boy Tweets St Mirren will sell a World Cup player for £400k and some a St Mirren fans thinks that is the correct fee? Rangers just sold a 20year old with 24 mins SPFL experience to Forest Green for £350k but we should accept £400k for a world cup playoff player?

Juranovic's form was dire when he returned from the World Cup but Celtic didn't think 'oh, we'll sell him for £400k' . They said £7.5million which they got.

Baccus is an excellent player who's form has dipped, like many other players returning from the intensity of a World Cup, but for St Mirren to 'fix' a transfer price at this point in time of £400k is just plain mental. We may not get what we hope but to punt him for peanuts due to a dip in form is criminal.

56 minutes ago, jm1 said:

Any word of how the AGM went and any interesting news come from it? 

First one I’ve been to.  

Very lively. 

Think these things are supposed to be confidential - so I’ll let any veterans of these things decide whether to post or not 😀

12 hours ago, NorthBank said:

So a wee boy Tweets St Mirren will sell a World Cup player for £400k and some a St Mirren fans thinks that is the correct fee? Rangers just sold a 20year old with 24 mins SPFL experience to Forest Green for £350k but we should accept £400k for a world cup playoff player?

Juranovic's form was dire when he returned from the World Cup but Celtic didn't think 'oh, we'll sell him for £400k' . They said £7.5million which they got.

Baccus is an excellent player who's form has dipped, like many other players returning from the intensity of a World Cup, but for St Mirren to 'fix' a transfer price at this point in time of £400k is just plain mental. We may not get what we hope but to punt him for peanuts due to a dip in form is criminal.

We also need to factor in the very real possibility that he, as an Aussie, is perhaps struggling to adapt to the conditions of what has so far been a pretty rotten winter, possibly the first one he has ever experienced.

17 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

We also need to factor in the very real possibility that he, as an Aussie, is perhaps struggling to adapt to the conditions of what has so far been a pretty rotten winter, possibly the first one he has ever experienced.

Aren't the clubs he is linked with mostly in England, hardly the Canaries in winter !

Baccus hasn't even been bad. He was good against Aberdeen, Livi and was probably the best player on the pitch against Killie. He was also fine against Hearts at SMP. This "dip in form" is basically a defeat away to Celtic and a bit of a shite performance against Dundee where the whole team were rotten.

19 minutes ago, GAD said:

Baccus hasn't even been bad. He was good against Aberdeen, Livi and was probably the best player on the pitch against Killie. He was also fine against Hearts at SMP. This "dip in form" is basically a defeat away to Celtic and a bit of a shite performance against Dundee where the whole team were rotten.

Exactly!

What's more, it's not as if we can't see why his form, and perhaps focus, has shifted over the last few months. His first WC call up, their national team doing well, hitting the limelight and talking about marking Messi. All that mid season, unlike other WC tournaments. That's before you add in things like getting settled.

2 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:

Aren't the clubs he is linked with mostly in England, hardly the Canaries in winter !

Wasn't really the point I was making.

More that a couple of folk seem intent on making a big song and dance about his transfer value being slashed because his form has suffered a bit. I was merely mentioning that the lad's adapting to the climate here could be one of the factors there rather than him suddenly only being worth a handful of washers do to a couple of performances that weren't at the standard he set himself early on in the season.

2 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Wasn't really the point I was making.

More that a couple of folk seem intent on making a big song and dance about his transfer value being slashed because his form has suffered a bit. I was merely mentioning that the lad's adapting to the climate here could be one of the factors there rather than him suddenly only being worth a handful of washers do to a couple of performances that weren't at the standard he set himself early on in the season.

It might be given the heat out there have given that some thought myself. Baccus has talent no question but that talent has not been shining lately. Staying till the end of season working hard finding the form we know he has should push the price up. 

On 26/01/2023 at 13:05, Dunning1874 said:

News to us. There was a rumour Dinamo Tbilisi were interested, but there's been no confirmation of any deal being made.

Re the Jamieson discussion, as he's already played for both St Mirren and Airdrie he can't go anywhere else this season, so he can only have been recalled as cover.

That’s probably what I’ve read on here or on Twitter. I thought the lad had already signed a PCA with the club you mention. 

On 25/01/2023 at 23:53, Hendo said:

I'd be looking at getting the Morton left back in on a pre contract.

I've mentioned him a few times. Always looked very decent when I've watched Morton on Alba.

He's been about for years as well and always been quite highly rated. Surprised a top flight team hasn't taken a punt.