The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

I'm still not entirely sure why we shipped Jay Henderson out on loan. For me he was an asset to have coming off the bench, something we didn't have and something we still don't have.

Any width we have comes from our wing backs, which is fine when we are breaking against teams that want to attack us, but it sort of breaks down when teams sit deep and we then have no width in the final third which in turn means we become very narrow and very predictable.

I'd prefer us to have a plan B and I don't really think the personnel we have gives us that.

8 minutes ago, Div said:

I'm still not entirely sure why we shipped Jay Henderson out on loan. For me he was an asset to have coming off the bench, something we didn't have and something we still don't have.

I think Inverness is a good place to go on loan, but I agree with you. I also think he had the chance to contribute this season, but like you and @Coventry Saint both point out, we don't play a formation that he'd fit into. He's not a RCM, and he's not a RWB.

13 minutes ago, Div said:

Any width we have comes from our wing backs, which is fine when we are breaking against teams that want to attack us, but it sort of breaks down when teams sit deep and we then have no width in the final third which in turn means we become very narrow and very predictable.

I'd prefer us to have a plan B and I don't really think the personnel we have gives us that.

Been saying this for a while now. We rely too much on strain. Tanser not so much. The guys in the middle of the park are all too similar. Kiltie is seen as our go to guy to chase a game. 

We lack a cutting edge which stacks up when you look at our goals ratio. 

We need a creative outlet apart from Kiltie. 

1 hour ago, Ric said:

I think it's less about how we initially set out, but the flexibility during the game. Compare him to Goodwin, who notoriously had difficulty in changing a game, and that was writ large with his Darvel disaster. Robinson, for me, seems to be able to react, and do so fairly effectively where Goodwin either stuck to a formation until it was too late or would make the same subs every week. So in that sense I don't think Robinson is specifically wedded to this 5-3-2 but he certainly knows how to get the best out of it, again compare and contrast to Goodwin.

That said, if Robinson genuinely wanted to play a 3 up front, for me, we've shipped out the players that would suit that formation. If you consider the three as a striker and two wide players, then the two most suitable wide players have been sent on loan, Henderson and Brophy. Could Greive play there? Possible, hard to tell as he's not had a consistent run of games, nor has he had to play a wide support role (at least not that I'm aware of) for us. Ayunga and/or Main wider would seem to trade off their positives for a formation.

Greive has tended to play wide for NZ when selected, but I take your wider points. As Div said, I think we'd all like to see a firm plan b, but you are correct in saying Robinson seems more flexible that Goodwin ever was. And yes, especially in Henderson, we have cut adrift the best wide pure attacking player in the squad.

Just now, Coventry Saint said:

Greive has tended to play wide for NZ when selected, but I take your wider points.

Wasn't aware of that, ta.

Do you think that is a preference or just circumstance with the way NZ line up?

7 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

No where near the form he had at the start of the season. Bite your hand off that kind of money. Those looking for a million and over are in Dreamland he is not worth that kind of money. £400,000 plus add on's is about right. 

Nonsense, both the tweet and your reply.

7 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:
No where near the form he had at the start of the season. Bite your hand off that kind of money. Those looking for a million and over are in Dreamland he is not worth that kind of money. £400,000 plus add on's is about right. 

I agree his form has dipped (but the whole team is not playing as well) but I'd completely disagree on that amount and would like to think we could hold out on Baccus and get a bit more.

He's young, played well internationally and under contract to next season. Getting add ons will be critical, but I don't see why we would take £400k- it seems very low for what other players go for. 

Ali McCann went from Saints to Preston for £1m, so is that really out the ballpark for Baccus?

12 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

Have you been to recent games  ?  You saying Baccus form has not dipped since the return from the world cup. 

So because his form has dipped we should except a pittance for him don't talk shite.

5 minutes ago, elvis said:

We won't get to know how much he goes for will be the undisclosed fee shite.

I genuinely can’t think of any club at any level in the past few years that has disclosed a fee and rightly so - it’s daft to let other clubs know how much money you have.

1 hour ago, Ric said:

Wasn't aware of that, ta.

Do you think that is a preference or just circumstance with the way NZ line up?

Probably the way NZ line up, tbh, and he's got the energy levels needed for that role. I think most strikers would probably choose to play down the middle given the option.

34 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

I agree his form has dipped (but the whole team is not playing as well) but I'd completely disagree on that amount and would like to think we could hold out on Baccus and get a bit more.

He's young, played well internationally and under contract to next season. Getting add ons will be critical, but I don't see why we would take £400k- it seems very low for what other players go for. 

Ali McCann went from Saints to Preston for £1m, so is that really out the ballpark for Baccus?

I don't diagree with your views but rumoured Porteous is leaving for £450k. Difference there is he's out of contract and walks free in the summer.

We're not so desperate to grab money, potentially jeopardise finishing top 6 and keeping him to see what offers come in over the summer I suspect and hope.

Especially as it looks like money inbound for Reid plus impending cup money

£400k might actually be an acceptable figure, depending on the details of the "add-ons", which are non-specific in that piece of speculation. Future sell-ons could ultimately generate a bumper bonus for us. Sell-on clauses are a gamble - we have fairly done well out of John McGinn, not so good with the Burton O'Brien / David McNamee transfers.

11 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

If I’m not mistaken the lad you refer to has signed a PCA with a club in Europe. 

News to us. There was a rumour Dinamo Tbilisi were interested, but there's been no confirmation of any deal being made.

Re the Jamieson discussion, as he's already played for both St Mirren and Airdrie he can't go anywhere else this season, so he can only have been recalled as cover.

30 minutes ago, elvis said:

So because his form has dipped we should except a pittance for him don't talk shite.

Let's see what club jumps in I would be surprised if any do . If the case they have from January till the summer to see if Baccus can keep consistency.