The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

I'm failing to see any negatives from Brophy going on loan to County. If he plays well we still hold his contract, if he plays badly they'll be paying money to us for him to sit on their bench rather than ours.

We are not (at least not at this moment ..  :o;))  fighting with County against relegation and for the two more times he could possibly play us, he won't be able to.

To sum up then, St Mirren should never let strikers join other Scottish clubs, just in the off chance that they all of a sudden become Erling Haaland? What nonsense.

Brophy has barely scored in 2 years at the club. Has he reached double figures yet?

As I've said, he's a good player, but he's, at very best, our fourth choice striker now. No issues whatsoever with him going to County. Best of luck to him. Hopefully he finds a bit of form and scores a few goals.

6 minutes ago, AW saint said:

With Olusanya and Brophy out the door will there be more leaving before the window shuts?

Our squad is light so would be good to see 1 or 2 come in. 

We’ve called back Offord and Jamieson to cover Olusanya and Brophy going out.

2 minutes ago, AW saint said:

With Olusanya and Brophy out the door will there be more leaving before the window shuts?

Our squad is light so would be good to see 1 or 2 come in. 

Shaughnessy seemed to be the only other one surplus to requirements, but he's played a few game for us recently and even with the addition of Taylor, I certainly wouldn't mind keeping him until Summer.

The window is yet to shut, so we'll need to see if Erhahon stays, and after a bit of press speculation about Baccus, that seems to have died down a little. I don't see us shipping him out even if a very good offer comes in. Didn't someone say we had a Ugandan on trial? A striker. I wouldn't think, even with Olusanya and Brophy out, we'd need to strengthen up front. Grieve and Offord should be enough cover you'd feel.

There's Reid's situation, not sure what is going on with that, but I'd imagine if our hand was forced, we'd make some money from him this window.

In terms of additions? I guess a right sided midfielder who can work as right back would be an ideal addition just now. Flynn does well to cover that, and Strain is obviously first pick, but if Robinson can find a decent journeyman that could cover there, and possibly push forward into the midfield that would leave us with cover all over the field.

39 minutes ago, Div said:

I think Kiltie is the answer to that. He needs to be getting more game time IMO.

In the last few games Kiltie has had a fair few opportunities and his shooting has been beyond woeful, like comically bad at times.

I don’t see him being the goalscoring answer at all. That doesn’t mean I don’t think he’s a decent player. 

Just now, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

In the last few games Kiltie has had a fair few opportunities and his shooting has been beyond woeful, like comically bad at times.

I don’t see him being the goalscoring answer at all. That doesn’t mean I don’t think he’s a decent player. 

Think we create more when he's on the pitch and he is well capable of weighing in with a goal here or there.

I like him.

42 minutes ago, Div said:

Given their current predicament it's probably a gamble that McGregor thinks is worth taking. He's a player that has, at times, scored (some) goals in the Premiership and him and Mackay probably feel it's worth trying to squeeze that out of him than gambling on a rookie from down South or abroad who doesn't know the league.

Gamble for both sides, my feeling is Brophy "won't hit the ground running" and will be our problem again come the summer.

Nothing against the guy personally as he's always showed willing but he's not the player we thought we were getting back in 21.

2 minutes ago, Div said:

Think we create more when he's on the pitch and he is well capable of weighing in with a goal here or there.

I like him.

Yes like I said, I don’t think he’s a bad player at all. I just don’t think he’s capable of being another McGrath or Ronan from a midfield goal scorer perspective. 👍

Fraser is one of those ones where I wouldn't have been too despondent if he wasn't being kept on but he's definitely a good hand to have. He's never majorly let us down and goes about his business pretty quietly at the right side of the central three.

Won't pull up any trees but he's definitely a solid enough mid-table of top flight defender.

1 hour ago, Ric said:

In terms of additions? I guess a right sided midfielder who can work as right back would be an ideal addition just now. Flynn does well to cover that, and Strain is obviously first pick, but if Robinson can find a decent journeyman that could cover there, and possibly push forward into the midfield that would leave us with cover all over the field.

On the right we have Strain, with Flynn and Tait for cover. On the left we have Tanser and no-one for cover. Personally I would be chasing a left wing back. Preferably Australian if Strain is anything to go by..

12 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

On the right we have Strain, with Flynn and Tait for cover. On the left we have Tanser and no-one for cover. Personally I would be chasing a left wing back. Preferably Australian if Strain is anything to go by..

Could be either side really depending on which side you consider Tait as being at his most natural. I'd say the left, as cover for Tanser.

For me the cover for our wingbacks is probably the only space I can see to fill. We're stocked to the gunnels with defenders, have tons of cover in midfield and are so stocked up front we're shipping a couple out on loan.

22 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Fraser is one of those ones where I wouldn't have been too despondent if he wasn't being kept on but he's definitely a good hand to have. He's never majorly let us down and goes about his business pretty quietly at the right side of the central three.

Won't pull up any trees but he's definitely a solid enough mid-table of top flight defender.

I think Fraser has had a real turn around under Robinson, when he first came in Fraser was dropped for a while, and I certainly expected Robinson to ship him out in the Summer, yet this season, and especially when he's had the captain's armband, I think he's done really well.

37 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Have to agree.

An slightly better than average defender, who isn't particularly strong in the air. He also has a tendency to ball watch and let forwards nip in at the back post and score.

He has had some good spells though.

You only appreciate players like Fraser once theyve gone.

Not great but a trusty, reliable, back up player is important.

Edited by RandomGuy.