The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

7 hours ago, Doctor Sanchez said:

I can't remember being more excited at any other player signing for us as I was when we got Brophy. 

I wouldn't at all be surprised if he scores a barrow-load for County. 

Craig Dargo after scoring 30 league goals over the previous two seasons for Caley.

It's the hope that kills you.

11 hours ago, Div said:

Lewis Jamieson has been recalled from his loan spell with Airdrie too so either he's about to move on permanently or he'll be joining Offord on the bench presumably covering for the soon to depart Brophy, and perhaps Olusanya?

Strange one with Lewis returning, unless he is moving to another club or someone else moves on. He's done well at Airdrie, though if he were to stay with us for the remainder of the season, I'd imagine it may be Olusanya moving out on loan as you say to accommodate a place for him as backup.
Lewis is at the age of a striker, you need to be getting game time every week and he's certainly getting that at a lower level.

Edited by smellthepaw

20 minutes ago, smellthepaw said:

Strange one with Lewis returning, unless he is moving to another club or someone else moves on. He's done well at Airdrie, though if he were to stay with us for the remainder of the season, I'd imagine it may be Olusanya moving out on loan as you say to accommodate a place for him as backup.
Lewis is at the age of a striker, you need to be getting game time every week and he's certainly getting that at a lower level.

Yeah I'm not sure of the rationale behind it but sure we will find out in due course!

2 minutes ago, Div said:

Brophy to County on loan is done, should be announced today I would think.

Olusanya also heading out on loan, to the Championship I believe.

Good moves all round, I think. 

Brophy to County is a terrible move. May be good for us financially but I suspect he’ll score for fun if he has a run in the team. He has been unlucky with us with injuries and when he eventually got back too the starting lineup, Ethan gets an early red at Killie and Brophy got sacrificed 

9 minutes ago, CambieBud said:

Brophy to County is a terrible move. May be good for us financially but I suspect he’ll score for fun if he has a run in the team. He has been unlucky with us with injuries and when he eventually got back too the starting lineup, Ethan gets an early red at Killie and Brophy got sacrificed 

How is it a terrible move... he's not getting time with us and costing plenty.

It'll put money into our pot.

If its a loan and if he becomes prolific like you suggest they'll take points off our rivals while he won't play against us.

Finally he'll either come back to us in form or be sold because his stock is higher.

Are you presuming it's a permanent move at this stage?

28 minutes ago, CambieBud said:

He’s never scored for fun for anyone - no doubting he’s a good player when he’s in form but those days are few and far between sadly.

2 minutes ago, Smokerson said:

Hearing we are in for Olusanya, what like is he? out and out striker?

Only made very fleeting appearances for us.

Let's call him "very raw" and leave it at that.

45 minutes ago, CambieBud said:

He won't  !

55 minutes ago, CambieBud said:

If this happens I’ll run through Paisley naked and I’m not that fast so it’ll be slow and painful for onlookers. I wish him well however. 

Why are folk worrying that Brophy will be "prolific" at County? He's never been prolific anywhere.

He's a decent player, but getting him off the wage bill at this stage is the smart move and probably suits both us and Brophy himself.

I can't see County taking on Brophy's full wage. But even if they do pick up a big chunk of it then it makes sense.