The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

15 minutes ago, LiviLion said:

Goodwin with 3 wins from the last 10 in the league, Robinson with 1. Easy choice.

Aberdeen wage bill £10m, St.Mirren wage bill £4m.

I think given the resources Aberdeen have you'd fully expect them to be out performing St.Mirren,

They are a whopping 2pts better off than us having played a game more.

2 minutes ago, Div said:

Aberdeen wage bill £10m, St.Mirren wage bill £4m.

I think given the resources Aberdeen have you'd fully expect them to be out performing St.Mirren,

They are a whopping 2pts better off than us having played a game more.

… and out the cup to a sixth-tier team, even if that team have a bit of investment. Does the Darvel owner chain smoke and keep llamas?

Yeah, hard not to feel sorry for Goodie. Long before the end of last night's game it looked like all the fight had gone out of him. A beaten man. Seems like he's got rid of all the leaders in the squad (insecurity? "I'm the boss") and left himself with a totally heartless team.

On JR, I recently read the first interview he's done since getting the sack from Tannadice. Said the modern football manager job is "dehumanising" and is looking more at Director of Football roles now.

1 hour ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Yeah, hard not to feel sorry for Goodie. Long before the end of last night's game it looked like all the fight had gone out of him. A beaten man. Seems like he's got rid of all the leaders in the squad (insecurity? "I'm the boss") and left himself with a totally heartless team.

On JR, I recently read the first interview he's done since getting the sack from Tannadice. Said the modern football manager job is "dehumanising" and is looking more at Director of Football roles now.

Spot on.

For all his faults Gus MacPherson ended up being a relatively successful manager of St.Mirren and I always remember the very first signing he made after being appointed manager was Andy Millen from Clyde.

A few eyebrows were raised but he knew exactly what he was doing. Millen was his leader on the park and although he was never the best footballer in the world he was the glue that held that team together.

19 minutes ago, Div said:

For all his faults Gus MacPherson ended up being a relatively successful manager of St.Mirren and I always remember the very first signing he made after being appointed manager was Andy Millen from Clyde.

A few eyebrows were raised but he knew exactly what he was doing. Millen was his leader on the park and although he was never the best footballer in the world he was the glue that held that team together.

See, I can't imagine Goodwin signing someone like Millen because I think he'd feel threatened by him.

Apparently wasn't keen on Thommo when they were teammates. Scotland international, ex-English Premiership... competition as the leader on the park and in dressing room? Erhahon is another big personality with potential leadership qualities who Jim struggled to work with. Stephen McGinn, club captain, let go at the end of his contract: signed for Hibs. John not happy with the way his big brother was treated.

It's maybe an alpha male thing. Always carries Lee Sharpe with him who seems very deferential; hard to imagine him challenging JG in anything he does. Craig Samson..... well, Goodwin was his captain. Guys with any kind of authority at Pittodrie (Brown, Considine, Gallagher...) all out the door as soon as it was possible.

It's not healthy for anyone in a leadership position to surround themselves with Yes men (or women). That's what Goodie seems to like though and it could well have caught up with him.

3 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Apparently wasn't keen on Thommo when they were teammates.

I always remember Thommo being on Off the Ball when the theme for the day was to name your favourte Irishmen.

When Thommo left Goodwin off his initial list, he still declined to add him even when specifically prompted about it. 😀

4 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

See, I can't imagine Goodwin signing someone like Millen because I think he'd feel threatened by him.

Apparently wasn't keen on Thommo when they were teammates. Scotland international, ex-English Premiership... competition as the leader on the park and in dressing room? Erhahon is another big personality with potential leadership qualities who Jim struggled to work with. Stephen McGinn, club captain, let go at the end of his contract: signed for Hibs. John not happy with the way his big brother was treated.

It's maybe an alpha male thing. Always carries Lee Sharpe with him who seems very deferential; hard to imagine him challenging JG in anything he does. Craig Samson..... well, Goodwin was his captain. Guys with any kind of authority at Pittodrie (Brown, Considine, Gallagher...) all out the door as soon as it was possible.

It's not healthy for anyone in a leadership position to surround themselves with Yes men (or women). That's what Goodie seems to like though and it could well have caught up with him.

Can I copy paste this and send it to my boss?

season 8 episode 21 GIF

4 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Reports about Brophy to County on loan gathering pace this evening.

Probably a good move for all involved. He'll get games there, gets a big wage off our books, can't play against us. I suupose if he does well then he could maybe end up back and in contention next season.

He's a decent player at this level but needs games.

Feel for Brophy. It just hasnt worked. I never really rated him ar Killie and much preferred Stewart. 

The majority of his wage will be taken by County. I don't think they will pay it all. 

It won't weaken us as he has hardly kicked a ball. 

I doubt we will see anyone come in unless someone else leaves. 

1 hour ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Interesting post. A lot of this seems true of Goodwin at Aberdeen

We have questioned whether Lee Sharpe can talk. People have noticed Goodwin barely speaks to him at all during a game.

Lewis Jamieson has been recalled from his loan spell with Airdrie too so either he's about to move on permanently or he'll be joining Offord on the bench presumably covering for the soon to depart Brophy, and perhaps Olusanya?

3 hours ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

I always remember Thommo being on Off the Ball when the theme for the day was to name your favourte Irishmen.

When Thommo left Goodwin off his initial list, he still declined to add him even when specifically prompted about it. 😀

Is that not related to the time when Gary Teale and Jim Goodwin took over from Tommy Craig?

I believe Thommo felt overlooked by the club as he had been doing or completed his coaching badges.

Thommo has a safe gig these days. 

Gary Teale blinds oncoming car drivers with his smile 😊