The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

1 hour ago, NorthBank said:

Brophy's record isn't great however it is a lot better than Main or Ayunga (discounting Ayunga's spell with a  national League South team). They average around 3 maybe 4 goals a season and Brophy is about 7 goals a season. On Saturday we had no attempts on target in the first half with Main and Ayunga. In the second half Greive had a goal chopped off and Brophy had a header on target during his 8 mins of normal time.

Considering we have drawn 5 of the last 8 matches one more goal per game could have given us another 10 points. Main and Ayunga try hard but they simply do not score anywhere near enough for the position they are playing in. For me it should be Main and either Brophy or Greive and give us a chance of an occasional goal and maybe turn a draw or two into a win. If we are paying Brophy it is madness to me not to play him. Thought he changed the game for us at Livi then he gets dropped which cannot help his confidence. Greive is the more natural goalscorer imho but Brophy is surely a better option than Ayunga?

Completely agree…

Play strikers who are more likely to score goals, not the ones who run about like headless chickens. St mirren fans always love strikers who try hard rather than score, bizarre 

13 minutes ago, NathanDrake88 said:

Completely agree…

Play strikers who are more likely to score goals, not the ones who run about like headless chickens. St mirren fans always love strikers who try hard rather than score, bizarre 

Had this chat today.

Always mind the 2005 title winners had Stewart Kean and John Sutton up front. Kean was adored by the support because he ran about like fuck. He did score some goals, but not nearly as many as Sutton who was widely slammed by many at the time for being "a lazy bastard".

I once heard someone complain that "all Sutton does is score goals" 🤣

9 minutes ago, Div said:

Had this chat today.

Always mind the 2005 title winners had Stewart Kean and John Sutton up front. Kean was adored by the support because he ran about like f**k. He did score some goals, but not nearly as many as Sutton who was widely slammed by many at the time for being "a lazy b*****d".

Remember the abuse Higdon used to get 🙈.

51 minutes ago, NathanDrake88 said:

Completely agree…

I'd be keeping Ayunga in the team for games against the sides who are clearly going to go at us for the full 90. Don't think it's a coincidence that his best performances come against sides who are more attacking. He really struggles against teams who are stuffier in defence. That's why he's looked poor against the likes of Dundee, St. Johnstone, Ross County etc but has stood out a bit against the Glasgow and Edinburgh sides. 

Main for me offers a lot more to the frontline than goals but he does need a goalscorer beside him and creativity behind. Think it's time that Kiltie is at least given a run against sides where the counter attack set-up isn't going to be effective for us. Motherwell will likely be another example of this on Saturday where I imagine they'll be happy enough to see us have the lions share of the ball.

1 hour ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Remember the abuse Higdon used to get 🙈.

Before Higdon and Sutton we had Billy Stark scoring loads of goals from midfield as well as creating but he got dogs abuse from large sections of the crowd.

He played only 4 more games for Saints than Frank McGarvey but only scored 16 less goals.

3 hours ago, Div said:

Had this chat today.

Always mind the 2005 title winners had Stewart Kean and John Sutton up front. Kean was adored by the support because he ran about like f**k. He did score some goals, but not nearly as many as Sutton who was widely slammed by many at the time for being "a lazy b*****d".

If Brophy actually did score goals I'd be happy to have him in the team. Sutton was class and streets ahead of Brophy as a player.

A striker that hasn't scored a home goal in his time here is not a goal scorer IMO.

Edited by FTOF

2 hours ago, elvis said:

We have not had the lion's share of the ball for months now .

That's not through inability to get or retain possession though, it's deliberate in the way we play. Any games this season where we've had 40-60% possession, we've generally fared worse as we don't know how to play with time on the ball.

There's plenty amusement to be had at the expense of Aberdeen after last night but I do feel a wee bit for Goody who will now inevitably be sacked.

Club legend as a player, and did some decent stuff with us in the dugout but perhaps the Aberdeen gig was just too big a step for him, who knows.

The one positive we can take from it is that despite Robbo really being one of the stand out SPFL candidates to replace Goodwin there is absolutely no chance that they will come in for him. Can you imagine the rage of their supporters if they trod that exact same path again!

Martindale is the only other candidate I can think of who is over performing in the SPFL, and I just can't see him being the right fit for Pittodrie.

Jack Ross as interim to the Summer might be a go-er but his CV is tarnished, same as Sean Maloneys is.

It's a bit of a mess for them, but hopefully a mess that is still well and truly in place when we go there next Weds night.

13 minutes ago, Div said:

There's plenty amusement to be had at the expense of Aberdeen after last night but I do feel a wee bit for Goody who will now inevitably be sacked.

Club legend as a player, and did some decent stuff with us in the dugout but perhaps the Aberdeen gig was just too big a step for him, who knows.

The one positive we can take from it is that despite Robbo really being one of the stand out SPFL candidates to replace Goodwin there is absolutely no chance that they will come in for him. Can you imagine the rage of their supporters if they trod that exact same path again!

Martindale is the only other candidate I can think of who is over performing in the SPFL, and I just can't see him being the right fit for Pittodrie.

Jack Ross as interim to the Summer might be a go-er but his CV is tarnished, same as Sean Maloneys is.

It's a bit of a mess for them, but hopefully a mess that is still well and truly in place when we go there next Weds night.

Would they go back for McInnes? I'd normally laugh it out the park but at this point you'd maybe need to say it's a possibility. There is an absolute dearth of talent out there for a job that size who'd see it as anything other than a hiding to nothing.

14 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Would they go back for McInnes? I'd normally laugh it out the park but at this point you'd maybe need to say it's a possibility. There is an absolute dearth of talent out there for a job that size who'd see it as anything other than a hiding to nothing.

I think they'll need to look outside of Scotland this time. The problem they have is timing with the window about to close again it's going to be difficult for any new manager to be appointed and have the time to bring in even a couple of new recruits to shore up that absolutely shambolic defence.

They might just go interim manager to the Summer on the basis that even with those holes in the squad they should really still have enough about them to make a fist for a top six finish, it's not as if they are in any danger of being sucked into the relegation battle.

37 minutes ago, Div said:

The club seems like they need a whole rebuild from top to bottom since McInness' departure. Fans were getting tired of the brand of football under him, though it seems that when someones been in the job for sometime and there is suddenly change, it's not so simple to just transition. Could too many new players brought in have caused an issue as it seems they have a lot of players on their books. Jim can also be very limited with game plans (no plan b). He has also had the biggest budget, probably in their history.

Look at us for instance when Danny Lennon left after 4 years of stability. We never made it to the top 6 under Danny, though we were making progress and won a national cup in that period too. The aftermath up until Jack Ross came in was horrendous stuff (albeit pish cheap appointments). Just as Jack was repairing the damage in between, we lost him and Alan Stubbs came in and let off a bomb of negativity. We have slowly made our way back into progression and JG was part of that journey. I just hope we can tie down Robinson a while longer whilst he is showing the positives he brings on the park and in the dressing room.

Edited by smellthepaw