The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

21 hours ago, elvis said:

The midfield was nowhere to be seen yesterday

Not often I agree with you your right here about the midfield. As for Baccus have watched him closely since his return from the World Cup. His form has definitely dipped  he was terrible against Dundee. No one is going to put a large offer in for him in this form . Strain is playing better than Baccus.  Any buds thinking of going to Parkhead who don't normally ? I'm thinking about it but not a place I enjoy going. Very poor attendance on Saturday the Scottish Cup used to be a crowd puller. 

Not a great draw but a good money spinner. Morton would have come away with £320k on Saturday for a 40k crowd at £20 a ticket. A larger crowd and more expensive ticket could see us nearer the half million.

And saw that Forest Green Rovers have signed McCann from Sevco for £350k on a 3.5 year deal. Reckon Ethan may now be regretting not signing.

4 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

Not a great draw but a good money spinner. Morton would have come away with £320k on Saturday for a 40k crowd at £20 a ticket. A larger crowd and more expensive ticket could see us nearer the half million.

And saw that Forest Green Rovers have signed McCann from Sevco for £350k on a 3.5 year deal. Reckon Ethan may now be regretting not signing.

Why would he be regretting not signing just because they’ve signed some guy from Rangers on probably the same deal he was offered. The boy clearly decided it wasn’t the move for him and fair play to him for not jumping at the first offer.

He’s one of the few players in our squad who’s still managed to look decent in our recent flat performances. If he doesn’t get a move this window (and there’s every chance he still might) then he’ll not be short of offers in the summer. 

43 minutes ago, Div said:

Yeah there’s always a chance. We gave them a hell of a fright there in the quarters in the season we won the Chanpionship. Think it was Mallan who hit the bar when we were already leading 1-0?

A massive ask but it’s a funny old game, I’ll be there 🏁🎉

Was that the same game Harry Davis also cracked the bar with a header?

20 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

Ethan has recently signed up to Anton Ferdinand's agency. There's a possibility that they are holding out for a team either sitting higher up in League one or a Championship team.

At this stage he needs to be playing every week to progress to the heights I believe he can reach. He may have got that at FG, though they are a team sitting bottom of League 1. With all due respect, that is a complete step down to his current platform. 

1 hour ago, NorthBank said:

Even with the Home Ticket Cup Scheme there will be thousands of concession tickets in there too. A crowd of 40000 I reckon would generate gate receipts of around £600K let's say.

The home team take 20% of that to cover costs, the SFA gets 5% so that reduces the pot to 75% so about £450K which is then split evenly between the two teams.

We will each get £24K if the game is chosen for live television.

I'd reckon we will come away with about £250K all told. It's still an awful lot of money.

If the clubs can't agree a ticket price then it is set at the "standard" home entrance price, which I'd guess would be around £30. In theory the home ticket cup scheme means we would be better off refusing a lower ticket price but I don't think in practice we will do that and I hope we don't. £20 is plenty.

1 hour ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Why would he be regretting not signing just because they’ve signed some guy from Rangers on probably the same deal he was offered. The boy clearly decided it wasn’t the move for him and fair play to him for not jumping at the first offer.

He’s one of the few players in our squad who’s still managed to look decent in our recent flat performances. If he doesn’t get a move this window (and there’s every chance he still might) then he’ll not be short of offers in the summer. 

30 minutes ago, smellthepaw said:

Ethan has recently signed up to Anton Ferdinand's agency. There's a possibility that they are holding out for a team either sitting higher up in League one or a Championship team.

At this stage he needs to be playing every week to progress to the heights I believe he can reach. He may have got that at FG, though they are a team sitting bottom of League 1. With all due respect, that is a complete step down to his current platform. 

It is all about opinions. I do not rate Ethan very much. Everyone sees his good left foot (which I too rate) but seems to ignore his many glaring deficiencies (Gogic and Kiltie I rate higher). I won't change anyone's mind and no-one will change mine so there is no point in trying. I rate Stevie Mallan far higher than Ethan and he is playing with Salford in English League 2 which is maybe Ethan's level. Time will tell of course. I'll be happy to say I was wrong if he does get a starting place in a team higher than English League 1 but I doubt that very much.

19 minutes ago, Div said:

I'd reckon we will come away with about £250K all told. It's still an awful lot of money.

Wonder whether some of that will be used to help “offload” some players.

The odds on progressing are against us, but it’s the cup. Bring it on. COYS.

Is there any footage of Brophy’s penalty? His body language on his way back to the centre circle reeked of complete despair. 
He is really suffering a confidence crisis at Saints. 
There was a shot he took on Saturday that someone next to me thought it must have taken a deflection when it went out for a throw in.

It was a throw correctly awarded to Dundee. 

So sad to see. Would love to see him turn things around. 

1 hour ago, NorthBank said:

It is all about opinions. I do not rate Ethan very much. Everyone sees his good left foot (which I too rate) but seems to ignore his many glaring deficiencies (Gogic and Kiltie I rate higher). I won't change anyone's mind and no-one will change mine so there is no point in trying. I rate Stevie Mallan far higher than Ethan and he is playing with Salford in English League 2 which is maybe Ethan's level. Time will tell of course. I'll be happy to say I was wrong if he does get a starting place in a team higher than English League 1 but I doubt that very much.

Hold on a minute, I'm not holding up Ethan as some sort of messiah. I'm just saying he's one of our better players and there was no need for him to jump at the first move he was offered. You indicated for some reason that he'd be regretting not taking that move. I'm not sure why? I believe he will get a better move than Forest Green.

I too rate Gogic higher than Ethan and I'm glad he's the one we're likely to be keeping. Not Kiltie though, although they are completely different types of player, so not really a fair comparison.

2 hours ago, Molotov said:

Is there any footage of Brophy’s penalty? His body language on his way back to the centre circle reeked of complete despair. 
He is really suffering a confidence crisis at Saints. 
There was a shot he took on Saturday that someone next to me thought it must have taken a deflection when it went out for a throw in.

It was a throw correctly awarded to Dundee. 

So sad to see. Would love to see him turn things around. 

I think there is still hope for him to turn it around. This time last year the St Mirren support (almost in our entirety) would've got rid of Main. Now he's a mainstay in our team and - although not scoring enough - has been an important player for us.

Folk aren't even getting on his back, you can see he's just absolutely shattered of confidence.

His body language on Saturday was that of a guy who's just totally down on his luck on the park just now. Hopefully he grabs a goal soon and gets his head up, it's never nice to see a player struggling like that.

17 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Folk aren't even getting on his back, you can see he's just absolutely shattered of confidence.

His body language on Saturday was that of a guy who's just totally down on his luck on the park just now. Hopefully he grabs a goal soon and gets his head up, it's never nice to see a player struggling like that.

His positive cameo off the bench at Livingston, aside from the miss at the end of that game, suggested he maybe still had something to offer and I had high hopes when he was named to start at Kilmarnock in the following game.

Just absolutely sums up his entire time with us that he was then hooked in that game after less than 10 mins because of the red card for Ethan.

Needs a run of games which he's never going to get with us.

Think he's had terrific support from our fans who have been patient beyond belief with him but time is up, he needs to get a change of scenery and try and kick start his career somewhere else.

2 hours ago, Div said:

His positive cameo off the bench at Livingston, aside from the miss at the end of that game, suggested he maybe still had something to offer and I had high hopes when he was named to start at Kilmarnock in the following game.

Just absolutely sums up his entire time with us that he was then hooked in that game after less than 10 mins because of the red card for Ethan.

Needs a run of games which he's never going to get with us.

Think he's had terrific support from our fans who have been patient beyond belief with him but time is up, he needs to get a change of scenery and try and kick start his career somewhere else.

Agree but their is no chance he will walk who is going to sign a injury prone striker ? Maybe get a club to part fund his contract. Morton would jump at the chance of a loan deal. Only get out I can see. No disruption to his home life. 

5 hours ago, Div said:

Even with the Home Ticket Cup Scheme there will be thousands of concession tickets in there too. A crowd of 40000 I reckon would generate gate receipts of around £600K let's say.

The home team take 20% of that to cover costs, the SFA gets 5% so that reduces the pot to 75% so about £450K which is then split evenly between the two teams.

We will each get £24K if the game is chosen for live television.

If the clubs can't agree a ticket price then it is set at the "standard" home entrance price, which I'd guess would be around £30. In theory the home ticket cup scheme means we would be better off refusing a lower ticket price but I don't think in practice we will do that and I hope we don't. £20 is plenty.

Probably not too far off it.

My brother used to know someone who worked for the SFA. According to him, when we played the green bigots in the cup in 2003, we made £100K out of it. Attendance was down as 29,976.

On 22/01/2023 at 10:21, aldo_j said:

We rarely get 15 goal a season strikers at this level - most clubs don’t. You end up taking punts in the hope it comes through. Main and Ayunga definitely unsettle defences and, if Ayunga develops, you hope the goals will come.

Thommo and Higdon the only ones to reach +15 goals in a season since the 80s? 

In terms of Brophy, I don’t really buy the natural goalscorer thing and I would say Greive is the closest we have to a penalty box striker. Brophy hasn’t exactly been a proven goalscorer in his career and I bet his goal to shots ratio is absolute tosh. 

Brophy's record isn't great however it is a lot better than Main or Ayunga (discounting Ayunga's spell with a  national League South team). They average around 3 maybe 4 goals a season and Brophy is about 7 goals a season. On Saturday we had no attempts on target in the first half with Main and Ayunga. In the second half Greive had a goal chopped off and Brophy had a header on target during his 8 mins of normal time.

Considering we have drawn 5 of the last 8 matches one more goal per game could have given us another 10 points. Main and Ayunga try hard but they simply do not score anywhere near enough for the position they are playing in. For me it should be Main and either Brophy or Greive and give us a chance of an occasional goal and maybe turn a draw or two into a win. If we are paying Brophy it is madness to me not to play him. Thought he changed the game for us at Livi then he gets dropped which cannot help his confidence. Greive is the more natural goalscorer imho but Brophy is surely a better option than Ayunga?

45 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Probably not too far off it.

My brother used to know someone who worked for the SFA. According to him, when we played the green bigots in the cup in 2003, we made £100K out of it. Attendance was down as 29,976.

Not sure how tax works for sales of tickets at a game either, very possible that 20% of the gross receipts goes to the VAT man.

38 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

Brophy's record isn't great however it is a lot better than Main or Ayunga (discounting Ayunga's spell with a  national League South team). They average around 3 maybe 4 goals a season and Brophy is about 7 goals a season. On Saturday we had no attempts on target in the first half with Main and Ayunga. In the second half Greive had a goal chopped off and Brophy had a header on target during his 8 mins of normal time.

Considering we have drawn 5 of the last 8 matches one more goal per game could have given us another 10 points. Main and Ayunga try hard but they simply do not score anywhere near enough for the position they are playing in. For me it should be Main and either Brophy or Greive and give us a chance of an occasional goal and maybe turn a draw or two into a win. If we are paying Brophy it is madness to me not to play him. Thought he changed the game for us at Livi then he gets dropped which cannot help his confidence. Greive is the more natural goalscorer imho but Brophy is surely a better option than Ayunga?

Greive for me is, at this moment in time, better coming off the bench. I don't think he's quite good enough yet to start games but I'd agree he's our most natural finisher. Offord seems pretty similar; small, quick, can finish, but maybe lacks the physicality at the moment to be considered for the top flight.

I still think there's a fair chance Brophy will leave this window.