The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

3 minutes ago, smellthepaw said:

Thing is, we aren't a big enough club to carry a luxury high earner as 4th choice striker. He has failed to live up to expectations and justify us pushing the boat out for him.

I think with Offord returning, it could signal a sign that he may fill his space on the bench with view to Brophy leaving. All speculating of course, though makes sense. Offord is highly rated and without any pressure he could offer something fresh up top when called upon.

As I just said in yesterday’s match thread, our 2 first choice strikers have a terrible scoring record in their careers. Brophy and Greive are clearly more natural finishers. Neither Main or Ayunga are going to score you 15 a season. As always scoring goals from open play is our biggest concern

12 minutes ago, NathanDrake88 said:

As I just said in yesterday’s match thread, our 2 first choice strikers have a terrible scoring record in their careers. Brophy and Greive are clearly more natural finishers. Neither Main or Ayunga are going to score you 15 a season. As always scoring goals from open play is our biggest concern

Hit the nail on the head with your comments. 

Problem yesterday was given the front players any chances. We simply failed to do it. Our play was predictable and lacked ideas. Any striker would struggle to score for us when we play like that. 

1 hour ago, NathanDrake88 said:

We rarely get 15 goal a season strikers at this level - most clubs don’t. You end up taking punts in the hope it comes through. Main and Ayunga definitely unsettle defences and, if Ayunga develops, you hope the goals will come.

Thommo and Higdon the only ones to reach +15 goals in a season since the 80s? 

In terms of Brophy, I don’t really buy the natural goalscorer thing and I would say Greive is the closest we have to a penalty box striker. Brophy hasn’t exactly been a proven goalscorer in his career and I bet his goal to shots ratio is absolute tosh. 

15 hours ago, medals said:

Not impressed today. 16 players for us (not counting Carson) and not one of them could score over 120 minutes against a team in a lower league.

We were better with pens though thank ****.

Hey ho, we are through and that means more dosh in at least for being in the next round and from attendance. Perhaps also if we get a match televised too. All income helps.

We need to learn to score more goals though - serious shooting practice.

Starting against Motherwell please 🙏 

We could practice shooting 24/7 but it would have made zero difference yesterday as we simply didn't create chances. Folk bemoaning the strikers but they were quite literally feeding on scraps yesterday as the midfield were miles off it. 

1 hour ago, Billy Jean King said:

We could practice shooting 24/7 but it would have made zero difference yesterday as we simply didn't create chances. Folk bemoaning the strikers but they were quite literally feeding on scraps yesterday as the midfield were miles off it. 

The midfield was nowhere to be seen yesterday

16 hours ago, Lex said:

His ‘rumoured wage’ goes up quicker than actual inflation tbf.
I’m sure it started at 2k a week, then 2.5k, and now he’s apparently on 3k a week. He’ll be on 5k a week by the summer at this rate. 
I - like everyone who posts these figures - have no idea what he’s actually on. However, if anyone at the football club has sanctioned any of our players to be paid over 100 grand a year in basic salary they need shooting.  

Aye to be fair even when I was typing the post I was thinking “where have I got £3k from”. It may well have been two as you said and agree that £100k is a mental amount for an average player to be earning.

5 hours ago, smellthepaw said:

Thing is, we aren't a big enough club to carry a luxury high earner as 4th choice striker. He has failed to live up to expectations and justify us pushing the boat out for him.

I think with Offord returning, it could signal a sign that he may fill his space on the bench with view to Brophy leaving. All speculating of course, though makes sense. Offord is highly rated and without any pressure he could offer something fresh up top when called upon.

Agree 100% tbh. We have a few on the bench that look to be expensive luxuries.

Suppose my point was more about how some fans are now focusing on his wage when it never mattered before.

Maybe it has something to do with the huge loss we made? 

6 hours ago, aldo_j said:

We rarely get 15 goal a season strikers at this level - most clubs don’t. You end up taking punts in the hope it comes through. Main and Ayunga definitely unsettle defences and, if Ayunga develops, you hope the goals will come.

Thommo and Higdon the only ones to reach +15 goals in a season since the 80s? 

In terms of Brophy, I don’t really buy the natural goalscorer thing and I would say Greive is the closest we have to a penalty box striker. Brophy hasn’t exactly been a proven goalscorer in his career and I bet his goal to shots ratio is absolute tosh. 

I think our lack of a goal scorer will make the difference in top 6 versus bottom 6.
Main and Ayunga are both great hold up players but like you say neither look prolific.

Brophy is a shoot on sight type who simply doesn’t hit the target often enough and relied on penalties for his purple patch at Killie and while Grieve works really hard, he is a bit of a dog chasing a crisp packet on a windy day.

We are the 3rd lowest scorers in the league and I honestly don’t see any of the these strikers changing that. 

48 minutes ago, Torfason said:

I think our lack of a goal scorer will make the difference in top 6 versus bottom 6.
Main and Ayunga are both great hold up players but like you say neither look prolific.

Brophy is a shoot on sight type who simply doesn’t hit the target often enough and relied on penalties for his purple patch at Killie and while Grieve works really hard, he is a bit of a dog chasing a crisp packet on a windy day.

We are the 3rd lowest scorers in the league and I honestly don’t see any of the these strikers changing that. 

Go on wiki and check the total of each of our strikers goal record…not great at all. Probably some defenders have scored more per appearance. That said, I’m not having a go at Main or Ayunga, both add something to the team. Will just never be a decent goal tally unfortunately 

14 minutes ago, Torfason said:

Celtic away, at least we will make a few quid 😕

Yes, were 40,000 v Morton at £20 a ticket so we'll get a good sum from the gate alone. Will also likely be one of the 2 Viaplay picks so there will be a bit of income from that too I presume.

Luck of the draw..... last season we got Kelty at home in the 5th round.

40 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Yes, were 40,000 v Morton at £20 a ticket so we'll get a good sum from the gate alone. Will also likely be one of the 2 Viaplay picks so there will be a bit of income from that too I presume.

Luck of the draw..... last season we got Kelty at home in the 5th round.

Think this could be a full house it's not Morton there playing.lol

9 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:

I mean Dundee were also pretty defensive. We struggle to break down teams when they do that as we're more used to Premiership teams being more open and feeding on the space. 

4 hours ago, Torfason said:

I will go on record right now and say we will not make top six but probably do enough to stay out of bottom two.

It’s an abysmal draw as far as progressing in the competition is concerned but financially it’s a jackpot hit for us at exactly the right time.

Strengthens our hand a bit going in to the last week of the window.

12 hours ago, Div said:

It’s an abysmal draw as far as progressing in the competition is concerned but financially it’s a jackpot hit for us at exactly the right time.

For me personally, if it was a choice between making top 6 and taking some gate money from Celtic over progressing further in the cup then I'd take top 6 all day this season.

12 hours ago, Div said:

Ok our chances of progressing are slim, but it's not impossible. 

They don't lose many semi's or finals but getting them now is better. It's a long shot but twice in one season would be quite something. 

The income for this round is a welcome bonus yes indeed, if however we could make it through there would obviously be more and a shot at further cup success.

Come on the buddies.

24 minutes ago, medals said:

Ok our chances of progressing are slim, but it's not impossible. 

They don't lose many semi's or finals but getting them now is better. It's a long shot but twice in one season would be quite something. 

The income for this round is a welcome bonus yes indeed, if however we could make it through there would obviously be more and a shot at further cup success.

Come on the buddies.

Yeah there’s always a chance. We gave them a hell of a fright there in the quarters in the season we won the Chanpionship. Think it was Mallan who hit the bar when we were already leading 1-0?

A massive ask but it’s a funny old game, I’ll be there 🏁🎉