The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

If Brophy is on the rumoured wage of around £3k a week then as a quick calculation that means he has had (not including any signing on fees or any other bonuses) at least £300,000 out of St Mirren.

As not earlier he’s not a donkey or anything but it’s a high wage for any journeyman level Premiership striker and it just shows how quickly a club’s finances can be eaten into.

1 hour ago, DumbartonBud said:

Brophy to county could bite us on the arse. A loan might stop him playing against us.  

Brophy to anyone else in this league could could bite us on the arse. I like the loan idea, but would it provide the financial return we either want and/or need.

That said, when you look at the actual stats, he's hardly played. When he has, he hasn't been a prolific scorer, and if we ship him out to a fellow team now, he'll at most only have 2 games against us (*3?, is he cup tied for us?). What are the chances that he'd not only be fit but available and on form the next time we play whoever we sold him to. It's not like previous years where we would worry about them scoring goals for our rivals who were in a relegation battle with us. In fact selling him to either County or  Killie would presumably benefit us as there is a chance that he'll take points off our rivals for the top six spot.

Interesting to see Celtic getting a seriously questionable VAR decision for a penalty, just days after we got a similar claim turned down. It's not a like for like, of course, that's always the easiest argument for those defending referees, but it's the ball hitting the guy in the arm, when the arm was extended behind him, and it happened in the penalty box.

I like VAR, I like the technology, but all it does is highlight part of the problem of why VAR was introduced and that is one of consistency. Referees are simply incapable of providing a consistent response to incidents on the field.

Thoughts on Baccus before and after the World Cup? Seems to have lost his way a bit. Jaded?

Could see that Robinson was frustrated with him early in the 2nd half when he failed to control the ball. Immediately shouted for Kiltie to come to the dugout and Keanu was hooked.

Maybe his suspension is coming at a good time? A few games on the bench might actually do him some good.

Just now, Buttocks Brown said:

Thoughts on Baccus before and after the World Cup? Seems to have lost his way a bit. Jaded?

Could see that Robinson was frustrated with him early in the 2nd half when he failed to control the ball. Immediately shouted for Kiltie to come to the dugout and Keanu was hooked.

Maybe his suspension is coming at a good time? A few games on the bench might actually do him some good.

I haven't been to all the games, but I thought he was absolutely brilliant at Killie when we were a man down and was fine at home to Hearts.

Not impressed today. 16 players for us (not counting Carson) and not one of them could score over 120 minutes against a team in a lower league.

We were better with pens though thank ****.

Hey ho, we are through and that means more dosh in at least for being in the next round and from attendance. Perhaps also if we get a match televised too. All income helps.

We need to learn to score more goals though - serious shooting practice.

Starting against Motherwell please 🙏 

1 hour ago, medals said:

Not impressed today. 16 players for us (not counting Carson) and not one of them could score over 120 minutes against a team in a lower league.

We were better with pens though thank ****.

Hey ho, we are through and that means more dosh in at least for being in the next round and from attendance. Perhaps also if we get a match televised too. All income helps.

We need to learn to score more goals though - serious shooting practice.

Starting against Motherwell please 🙏 

Shooting practice is all well and good but we need to create chances first. We were totally devoid of ideas and created nothing. 

If we were making chance after chance and missing the target I would agree but we hardly laid a glove on Dundee. 

9 hours ago, Sortmeout said:

If Brophy is on the rumoured wage of around £3k a week then as a quick calculation that means he has had (not including any signing on fees or any other bonuses) at least £300,000 out of St Mirren.

As not earlier he’s not a donkey or anything but it’s a high wage for any journeyman level Premiership striker and it just shows how quickly a club’s finances can be eaten into.

His ‘rumoured wage’ goes up quicker than actual inflation tbf.
I’m sure it started at 2k a week, then 2.5k, and now he’s apparently on 3k a week. He’ll be on 5k a week by the summer at this rate. 
I - like everyone who posts these figures - have no idea what he’s actually on. However, if anyone at the football club has sanctioned any of our players to be paid over 100 grand a year in basic salary they need shooting.  

21 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

It would appear that Scott Tanser has now become the main target of the boo boys. 
There were more than a few who who turned in some woeful performances today. 

Nobody played that well today apart from our keeper.

Strain was surprisingly poor, Kiltie, O'Hara, Baccus , Main, Ayunga, basically all our creative guys had a stinker. Tanser wasn't the worst, definitely. 

Brophy looks like he has the world on his shoulders. Folk saying he doesn't look interested, well for a start he is rusty as hell. Can't expect him to be firing on all cylinders with the amount of injuries and game time he has had. Robinson has barely used him so of course he isn't going to be on form right away. He might be pissed off at the lack of game time. Doesn't help when he comes on the rest of the team are having a stinker too. Penalty was rank but he stepped up first so fair play for that. 

Main, Ayunga and Brophy don't look like scoring just now, Grieve seems to be much better coming off the bench. 

Interesting game next week, Motherwell are miles better away from home. We need to start winning again soon if we are serious about top 6. Liam Kelly is ironing his red cape as we speak.

7 minutes ago, Lex said:

His ‘rumoured wage’ goes up quicker than actual inflation tbf.
I’m sure it started at 2k a week, then 2.5k, and now he’s apparently on 3k a week. He’ll be on 5k a week by the summer at this rate. 
I - like everyone who posts these figures - have no idea what he’s actually on. However, if anyone at the football club has sanctioned any of our players to be paid over 100 grand a year in basic salary they need shooting.  

When he was announced nobody criticised the club after we beat teams like Aberdeen to his signature. To do that you have to push the boat out. We all had a laugh about it at the time on here when his wages were brought up by opposition fans. Now it's getting used against him because its not working out. 

He needs to start if we want to get the best out of him. Or Robinson is trying to force him out with the lack of game time. I'd still say he's a better no9 than Main and Ayunga.

Sadly it's went the same way as it did for Dargo, so much excitement over both signing for us and little return. 

42 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

It would appear that Scott Tanser has now become the main target of the boo boys. 

But not as consistent as Transfer.

1 hour ago, AW saint said:

Shooting practice is all well and good but we need to create chances first. We were totally devoid of ideas and created nothing. 

If we were making chance after chance and missing the target I would agree but we hardly laid a glove on Dundee. 

Yes today we were very poor, surprisingly as we have been better at home.

My shooting practice request was meant as a generalisation... SR was boasting recently about how many chances we were creating in recent matches against the likes of Hearts, but we are not scoring enough of the chances we do create.

Been too long since we won a league game and a few of those we really could have won.

5 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

Strangely I thought Tanser showed he could defend today. A couple of excellent tackles and at least one great block. Other than Carson, everyone was sub-par today.  

9 hours ago, Buttocks Brown said:

I thought he was steady without being brilliant before the WC, and I think he’s been exactly the same since the WC. Admittedly he didn’t have a great game yesterday but he wasn’t alone.

He’s shown glimpses so far, and the team is definitely better with him in it, but he seems to sometimes just lack that final bit of quality that would take him from a good player to a great player. His shooting could definitely be improved, and his decision making in the final third can sometimes let him down. He’s not the finished article and he wouldn’t be at St Mirren if he was, but he’s a young guy that seems to have a good attitude and is exactly the kind of character you want in your team. The speed and quality of our counter attacks this season has been outstanding, and guys like Baccus, Erhahon and Main have been pivotal in that. I would love to see him stay at St Mirren and improve, but I don’t think he’s irreplaceable if he were to go. I don’t know how likely he is to leave before his contract ends, but whatever happens I think Baccus will end up being good for St Mirren, and St Mirren will be good for Baccus. 

I know yesterday’s performance wasn’t great, but I’ve just read through the last few pages of this thread and have to agree with a couple of previous posts praising the spirit of this team. I can’t remember a St Mirren team as ‘likeable’ as this current squad. 

10 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

When he was announced nobody criticised the club after we beat teams like Aberdeen to his signature. To do that you have to push the boat out. We all had a laugh about it at the time on here when his wages were brought up by opposition fans. Now it's getting used against him because its not working out. 

He needs to start if we want to get the best out of him. Or Robinson is trying to force him out with the lack of game time. I'd still say he's a better no9 than Main and Ayunga.

Sadly it's went the same way as it did for Dargo, so much excitement over both signing for us and little return. 

Thing is, we aren't a big enough club to carry a luxury high earner as 4th choice striker. He has failed to live up to expectations and justify us pushing the boat out for him.

I think with Offord returning, it could signal a sign that he may fill his space on the bench with view to Brophy leaving. All speculating of course, though makes sense. Offord is highly rated and without any pressure he could offer something fresh up top when called upon.