The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

33 minutes ago, greenock saint said:

Either Reid has really bulked up recently, or I'd forgotten what a unit he was.

He seems to have the physique and engine to make it, and plenty of time to develop his talent further.

Is he out of contract at the end of this season?

Could I point out what a fucking mess that Daily Record article is? It's the Record so we should expect sub-par content, but all it contains is some stuff pulled from Wiki with the actual Crystal Palace rumour linked to. Linked to where you ask? The fucking Sun. Which in turn simply uses..

"SunSport understands..."
"It's believed a fee has been agreed.."

..while providing absolutely no evidence to support such claims.

Whether Reid goes or not, I don't know, what I do know is that both the Record and Sun are utter shitgibbons who will print any old shit so long as it sells papers. The only reason the Sun has posted the story is obvious from their headline "Ex-Celtic target". The Record just sucks up the Sun's detritus then vomits out it's own unsubstantiated bullshit by proxy.

The Sun, like the Record and the Daily Mail are so completely toxic and myopic, that if I was clearly on fire and they reported I was on fire, I'd actually conclude I wasn't on fire at all.

3 hours ago, Div said:

If selling Dylan now eases the cash flow issue that we have then it may well be worth cashing in now, particularly if we can negotiate some sort of sell on clause.

Hard to say if he's the real deal or not as we've seen so little of him, but selling him won't impact the usual matchday squad so it has to be seen as a good option!

I think best case scenario was for him to go this window for us to negotiate a sell on fee. He certainly looks like he has bulked up and that could be something that really adds to his game as he is not shy in the tackle. 

The unders and reserve league quality down south will be a much higher standard than what he's playing just now so I wouldn't be surprised to see him to develop into a future star. It's much easier with clubs that size to have players that age with potential to develop without the pressure.

3 hours ago, Bobby_F said:

Either Reid has really bulked up recently, or I'd forgotten what a unit he was.

He seems to have the physique and engine to make it, and plenty of time to develop his talent further.

Is he out of contract at the end of this season?

He absolutely floored a Hearts player when he came on last week. The lad just bounced off him.

I'd love to see more of him but our midfield has been strong this year. 

On 17/01/2023 at 14:40, Div said:

You'd need to be a bit naive to think Stewart doesn't still get information from within the club having been there for the best part of 30 years.

He said the club had spent the full COVID loan in the last 12 months and he was absolutely correct.

Anyway, we've been over all of this plenty of times, no point in going round it again.

Answers will come forth at the AGM. However I'm amazed at the snipes towards SG. I get McG hatred of Gilmour McG has admitted he is good mates with GS so he is biased on the subject. Most Saints fans know SG and GS are not exactly the best of friends. I always remember GS Q&A on the official forum . One of the most popular questions from fans was can we fill in the corners of the new stadium. GS answer- I have made sure the floodlights are built further back so that in the future the corners can be filled in ( Nonsense and a lie )   Is that important not really but why bullshit it's a clue . Sadly Gilmour and Scott are both big Saints fans if only they got on. But if I have to trust one it's Mr Gilmour who saved my club twice not once.. I'm sure it feels to him his baby he worked so hard over many years to save our club. Repeat myself Mr Gilmour deserves to be heard has proved himself to me. 

13 hours ago, NorthBank said:

Personally I'd prefer we sell Ethan for £350k and keep Dylan.

With him not committing his future to the club, we are best to cash in on him just now, especially when he is not getting game time.

It's unfortunate with Dylan, as I believe his breakthrough season would have most likely have been next season, though he has his sight set on moving whether it's now or the summer. 

You never know, both players could still leave this window, with just under 2 weeks left.

20 minutes ago, smellthepaw said:

With him not committing his future to the club, we are best to cash in on him just now, especially when he is not getting game time.

It's unfortunate with Dylan, as I believe his breakthrough season would have most likely have been next season, though he has his sight set on moving whether it's now or the summer. 

You never know, both players could still leave this window, with just under 2 weeks left.

Think it's likely both will definitely be gone by end of season. A real shame. Dylan should have had more minutes than he has unfortunately. Even to do what he did at Tynecastle and shore up the midfield and add something different for last 15-20 of games.

I wonder if the 'journalists' who write things like "six figure fee" have any understanding of the transfer market, as even if we refused to allow him to move now and he moved once he was out of contract, it would still be a "six figure fee" due to the development payment.

30 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Think it's likely both will definitely be gone by end of season. A real shame. Dylan should have had more minutes than he has unfortunately. Even to do what he did at Tynecastle and shore up the midfield and add something different for last 15-20 of games.

I think everyone anticipated him having more minutes this season - but the form of the midfield three has put paid to that. 

Offord showed in flashes for Alloa, according to their fans. They don't think that he was given a fair chance at getting a run in the team.

It will be interesting to see who is binned from the bench if Offord is in the squad. I can't see us having four forwards there.

6 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Offord showed in flashes for Alloa, according to their fans. They don't think that he was given a fair chance at getting a run in the team.

It will be interesting to see who is binned from the bench if Offord is in the squad. I can't see us having four forwards there.

Will either be Brophy or Olusanya. Have a feeling it will be Brophy.

Glad to have Offord back - by all accounts he’s very highly rated by the management team.

I think this means the end of Brophy’s time at the club. Still a bit gutted at how it’s worked out for him because I thought he was going to be a great signing.

12 minutes ago, SS77 said:

Glad to have Offord back - by all accounts he’s very highly rated by the management team.

I think this means the end of Brophy’s time at the club. Still a bit gutted at how it’s worked out for him because I thought he was going to be a great signing.

I still think he could be if he got a run but the manager clearly doesn't think he does what is required on the park or won't be able to stay fit long enough to give him a run at it.

7 goals on the road last season was not to be sniffed at and landed us some pretty important points

Edited by djchapsticks

2 hours ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Could just be that Offord is being recalled because Alloa are not using him as much as we would like? Has only started 5 games for them. Might go out somewhere else before the end of the month.. ..... 

I think he played a couple of games for us at the start of the season so may not be able to go anywhere other than us or Alloa.