The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

17 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

See we're appointing a head of academy to report into McManus.

That is a bold move for a club that's going bust next week.

Hopefully they made sure it was ok with SG 1st though.

5 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Would that be the  Mr Gilmour that saved your club not once but twice . Once from a English speculator as in a documentary by BBC Scotland. Second when the bank was calling in the loan saved by selling Love Street to Tesco.  So if Gilmour has something to say the least we can do is hear him. I'm not saying everything Gilmour saying is right but he has the right to be heard.  I take it you were against Gilmour in the clubs darkest days. Or you have forgotten the hard work to save the club twice in those darkest days. Hopefully things are not bad we just spent all transfer income plus the government's 1.6 million loan in a blink of an eye the figure that almost took St Mirren out of existence. Thankfully this time it's a government interest free loan over a number of years . Still let's see what the AGM brings I doubt everything will be brushed under the carpet. 

5 hours ago, ZingaliMan said:

Would that be the  Mr Gilmour that saved your club not once but twice . Once from a English speculator as in a documentary by BBC Scotland. Second when the bank was calling in the loan saved by selling Love Street to Tesco.  So if Gilmour has something to say the least we can do is hear him. I'm not saying everything Gilmour saying is right but he has the right to be heard.  I take it you were against Gilmour in the clubs darkest days. Or you have forgotten the hard work to save the club twice in those darkest days. Hopefully things are not bad we just spent all transfer income plus the government's 1.6 million loan in a blink of an eye the figure that almost took St Mirren out of existence. Thankfully this time it's a government interest free loan over a number of years . Still let's see what the AGM brings I doubt everything will be brushed under the carpet. 

Gilmour isn't going to shag you, mate

12 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Straight swap for Michael McArdle who is leaving to join the SFA.

11 hours ago, McG said:

Hopefully they made sure it was ok with SG 1st though.

Worth remembering that the only reason we have an academy in the first place and a dedicated training centre at Ralston is because the Gilmour board invested £1m into it when they brokered the deal to sell Love Street and move to Greenhill Road.

I get that some folk don’t like Stewart and they feel we have moved on, which is absolutely fine, but the constant sniping and bitching about him is really poor given all the things that board did to save and rebuild the club.

IMHO.

3 hours ago, Div said:

I get that some folk don’t like Stewart and they feel we have moved on, which is absolutely fine, but the constant sniping and bitching about him is really poor given all the things that board did to save and rebuild the club.

I think for some fans it stems from the latter years around 2014-2016 when the club stagnated somewhat whilst the previous board were looking to leave. 

I think Stewart Gilmour did an pretty good job in difficult circumstances, but I can understand the scepticism with the renewed involvement  given they previously stepped away. 

43 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

I think for some fans it stems from the latter years around 2014-2016 when the club stagnated somewhat whilst the previous board were looking to leave. 

I think Stewart Gilmour did an pretty good job in difficult circumstances, but I can understand the scepticism with the renewed involvement  given they previously stepped away. 

Yeah and I can understand that feeling that we've moved on, and we absolutely have moved on.

The Gilmour board did more than a pretty good job IMO, they performed miracles for the majority of their time in control of the club, but yes of course they made mistakes along the way and they made more than a few in the latter couple of years of their time in the boardroom.

The board was tired in the end and it was definitely time for change when they went.

Nobody that I can see is suggesting a return for Stewart to the boardroom of the football club.

It does stick in the throat a wee bit to see his name being pilloried all over the place online though when actually a lot of the good things we now enjoy as St.Mirren fans, like the academy and the modern stadium, is because of decisions him and his board made at the time.

Fan Ownership itself was only possible because of them and Gordon Scott, the shares could easily have been sold to any one of a number of interested buyers over the years they were available.

As usual there's a perfectly fine middle ground to be had.

You can respect what Stewart did whilst also accepting this is a new era. He's not involved in the running of the club and nor will he be so I don't know why his name keeps getting dragged through the mud.

4 hours ago, Div said:

Straight swap for Michael McArdle who is leaving to join the SFA.

Worth remembering that the only reason we have an academy in the first place and a dedicated training centre at Ralston is because the Gilmour board invested £1m into it when they brokered the deal to sell Love Street and move to Greenhill Road.

IMHO.

I'd say it's more 'occasional barbs' than 'constant bitching', and I'd say that given some of the skullduggery that has gone on over the past 12 months, it's within the bounds of being reasonable.

Without speaking for every Saints fan, which we know would be impossible anyway, I dare say that the vast majority hold nothing but admiration for much the work Gilmour did for our club. But there are nuances, and things change.

My honest position as of today is that, for better or worse, he's on the SMISA board now and I hope his experience is proving to be of benefit to St Mirren. By the same token, will I turn down the opportunity to make a quick jab on social/a forum? No, because that's my personality and nobody has the time to caveat everything they write with 'we know he saved the club twice etc etc..' 

Edit: didn't see your post.

3 minutes ago, Div said:

As usual there's a perfectly fine middle ground to be had.

Precisely. I think there's room within the middle ground to take the piss a bit.

Edited by Coventry Saint

Fair enough, as I said previously, I'd absolutely not want Stewart back in the club boardroom. We've moved on and that would definitely be a backward step IMO.

I do admire what he did for the club over such a long period of time though and we do have a LOT to be thankful for.

He did appoint Alex Rae and Tommy Craig though so maybe he deserves *some* ribbing 🙂

When Stewart outed himself as one of those Kibble conspiracy theorists that was when alarm bells starting ringing for me:

Since then, well the word "skullduggery" was used above and that sums it up pretty well. 

Hey ho... Stewart is now on the SMISA board and that's democracy. Speak volumes though that so many have walked out of SMISA as a result of SG and co. walking in.

Jeanette Swanson: “If you take a wrecking ball to a functioning board and add people whose only plan is to shout at the club board this is what happens."

Kenny Docherty: “SMISA is there to serve its members in a number of different ways and all of that has been forced to take a back seat due to this determination to criticise the club and how they are running things.”

So yeah.... it shouldn't be a surprise that Mr Gilmour is getting it a bit tight from those who previously respected him.

I can only speak for myself but I think the club losing £1.6m last year, it's largest ever loss in a single financial year, fully merited some criticism of how it's being run!

5 minutes ago, Div said:

I can only speak for myself but I think the club losing £1.6m last year, it's largest ever loss in a single financial year, fully merited some criticism of how it's being run!

The criticism or "bitching and sniping" (to use a phrase) was being aimed at the board well before that came to light. Has been good ammo for the past few months right enough. When that settles down something else will no doubt follow. It's not good for the club.

1 hour ago, Buttocks Brown said:

The criticism or "bitching and sniping" (to use a phrase) was being aimed at the board well before that came to light. Has been good ammo for the past few months right enough. When that settles down something else will no doubt follow. It's not good for the club.

You'd need to be a bit naive to think Stewart doesn't still get information from within the club having been there for the best part of 30 years.

He said the club had spent the full COVID loan in the last 12 months and he was absolutely correct.

Anyway, we've been over all of this plenty of times, no point in going round it again.

Club have handled this so well, but it also does show that the squad is in a very good place together as well. Looks a happy dressing room.

17 minutes ago, Saint Shug said: