The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

12 minutes ago, Hendo said:

For perspective, Dundee United are supposedly getting offers for a 16 year old without a first team start yet of £4 million.

If we accept an offer of £350k for Baccus, the entire board should resign.

That's not the way it works, top European clubs will take that sorta punt on a 16-y-o, whereas Baccus is 24 and the starting price of £350k is prob'ly based on a combination of his wage and the time remaining on his contract - that's the name of the game.

10 minutes ago, Hendo said:

I just hope when we signed him there wasn't a ridiculously low release clause put in. They wouldn't be that stupid would they?

The player and his agent might have argued for a release clause. It would make sense for them to do so. Even at that £350k is - as you say - ridiculously low. 

17 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

The writer is a wee boy who knows nothing about Scottish Football. Probably saw a photo of Ethan and thought it was Keanu. Nothing to see here.

Lazy af journalism. The other tabloids are reporting that very same figure. There is no way I can see us accepting a bid that low with 18 months left on his contract.

2 summers ago we were looking for around 700k+ for McGrath with 12 months left on his contract, just prior to his first international cap, before we eventually accepted a lower offer with 6 months left on his contract the following January. 

I couldn't even imagine us entertaining 350k in the summer either. We knocked back similar for Lewis Morgan with 12 months left of his contract. 

Starting bid of 750k-£1m with a sell-on at the very least surely?

16 hours ago, Hendo said:

I just hope when we signed him there wasn't a ridiculously low release clause put in. They wouldn't be that stupid would they?

I’m not saying there is any substance to this story but a lowish release clause (circa 350k) might have been reasonable for a young promising, but unproven player who was wanting to get into British football. 

Since joining us he has shown his market value is 7 figures. 

3 minutes ago, AJF said:

Supporting a mate is all well and good, but wearing another teams top to do it is stupidity. 

Aye not the brightest thing to do, but not really that bothered as long as his performances for us are decent enough. 

2 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

I honestly could not give one single shit.

I'm not saying you should, but I imagine there will be other St Mirren fans that are probably a bit annoyed by it so it is completely naïve from him, in my opinion.

I certainly wouldn't want one of our players sitting with the top of a team in the same league as us.

18 minutes ago, AJF said:

I'm not saying you should, but I imagine there will be other St Mirren fans that are probably a bit annoyed by it so it is completely naïve from him, in my opinion.

I certainly wouldn't want one of our players sitting with the top of a team in the same league as us.

I think if he was wearing a Rangers or Celtic top it would be a bit embarrassing for the club as the media love that stuff but any other team in the league doesn't bother me. I've worn a Thistle scarf when I've gone with mates to see the Jags.

Edited by Torfason

14 minutes ago, Torfason said:

I think if he was wearing a Rangers or Celtic top it would be a bit embarrassing for the club as the media love that stuff but any other team in the league doesn't bother me. I've worn a Thistle scarf when I've gone with mates to see the Jags.

It might be different if it was the team he supported growing up and then there could be accusations of split loyalty. He was clearly only there to support his pal in a big game.