The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

8 hours ago, Div said:

1 question mark so far from all his signings and even that is really too early to call a mistake.

The thing is, even if it was a mistake, you'd imagine he's probably one of the smaller earners - yeah he was at Middlesborough last season but his entire career has been as a non-league type journeyman so far. If it doesn't work out he wouldn't be that expensive a mistake.

Similar to the Richard Taylor signing really in financial terms, you'd imagine.

13 hours ago, AW saint said:

Being realistic. We could wipe out the £1.6 million with the sale of Baccus

Robbo's method of bringing in players perhaps not on the radar of others but given a platform by us could be a winner. 

I am liking his management style

I'd like to think our valuation of Bacchus is at the very least 7 figures and hope that we will hold out for that. It's more realistic we would get that valuation this window, rather than the summer, when we are in the same position as we were with McGrath.
We also have the opportunity to sell Erhahon this window too. Whether he goes now or the summer, we will get the same value in dev fee. Dylan Reid also falls into the same bracket, though we would lose the ability to add a clause into the latter two if they hold off until the summer. Erhahon and Reid together can fetch us around 450-500k whether its now or in the summer. 

2 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

The thing is, even if it was a mistake, you'd imagine he's probably one of the smaller earners - yeah he was at Middlesborough last season but his entire career has been as a non-league type journeyman so far. If it doesn't work out he wouldn't be that expensive a mistake.

Similar to the Richard Taylor signing really in financial terms, you'd imagine.

Robinson prior to the Hearts game was bigging him up in the press, then he had that unfortunate short lived minutes on the Saturday. 
Could he be doing with a short loan move to boost his confidence and game time, or does Robinson think he can genuinely hit the ground running and play a part in our second half of the season? 
It has been rumoured Brophy may be away this window, so maybe he's exercising his options that will be here longer.

8 minutes ago, smellthepaw said:

Robinson prior to the Hearts game was bigging him up in the press, then he had that unfortunate short lived minutes on the Saturday. 
Could he be doing with a short loan move to boost his confidence and game time, or does Robinson think he can genuinely hit the ground running and play a part in our second half of the season? 
It has been rumoured Brophy may be away this window, so maybe he's exercising his options that will be here longer.

Yeah, I thought a spell at Arbroath or somewhere like that could work well…done a couple of Livvy strikers no harm. 

I'm also comfortable in the knowledge that this debt is the  government loan to be paid back over many years interest free. I hope we keep the Kibble partnership as much as I like SG to me the Kibble is a good thing for the club. I fear If their shares are reduced as SG wants they may pull out. As for our management really hope we can tie them down long term and reward them accordingly to stop the merry go round of management change. 

58 minutes ago, smellthepaw said:

Brophy is becoming a real problem for us. He is on an eye watering wage (for us) and still has 18 months of that contract still to run.

12 appearances this season so far, mostly from the bench, and no goals.

There won't be a queue of clubs banging on our door who are willing or able to take on that salary.

So we either need to hope he gets back to form and starts weighing in with some goals (which seems a bit unlikely since he now appears to be at best 4th choice or even 5th as we saw on Saturday) or we come up with some sort of compromise that will allow him to move on.

The latter seems a bit unlikely given our cash situation.

A very tricky one.

1 hour ago, smellthepaw said:

Yeah I think Toyosi would benefit from some time on loan to get fit and get acquainted with the pace of the Scottish game.

A few months in the Championship would do him no harm.

15 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

I'm also comfortable in the knowledge that this debt is the  government loan to be paid back over many years interest free. I hope we keep the Kibble partnership as much as I like SG to me the Kibble is a good thing for the club. I fear If their shares are reduced as SG wants they may pull out. As for our management really hope we can tie them down long term and reward them accordingly to stop the merry go round of management change. 

Kibble have no interest (nor obligation) to reduce their holding within St.Mirren.  They're going nowhere. Thankfully.

40 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

Who really cares what SG wants ffs 😅

St Mirren are far better off with Kibble than without and we are also far better off without SG.

1 minute ago, Div said:

Declan Gallagher is fit and ready to play tonight apparently. Not sure about Strain.

Good news though!

That is great news, because for me it strengthens both defence and midfield if it means Gogic now doesn't have to play CB. I guess that is still going to be decided by how much Robbo trusts Taylor at this stage.

1 minute ago, GAD said:

That is great news, because for me it strengthens both defence and midfield if it means Gogic now doesn't have to play CB. I guess that is still going to be decided by how much Robbo trusts Taylor at this stage.

Yeah but I agree I'd rather him go with Talyor at CB if he's fit enough to start and leave Gogic in the middle where he will offer us more protection than Kiltie would on a night like tonight.

Flynn will be ok at RWB if Strain doesn't make it.

2 minutes ago, Div said:

Yeah but I agree I'd rather him go with Talyor at CB if he's fit enough to start and leave Gogic in the middle where he will offer us more protection than Kiltie would on a night like tonight.

Yeah, I think Flynn will be OK as well, especially if we are expected to be under the cosh anyway. I don't think he's got Strain's engine these days, and is a bit less of an attacking threat, but he'll stick to the task and hopefully make life a bit more difficult for them down that side. I imagine Gal will play on the right of the three as well if he's fit, with Shaughnessy staying in the middle.

1 hour ago, Div said:

Brophy is becoming a real problem for us. He is on an eye watering wage (for us) and still has 18 months of that contract still to run.

There won't be a queue of clubs banging on our door who are willing or able to take on that salary.

So we either need to hope he gets back to form and starts weighing in with some goals (which seems a bit unlikely since he now appears to be at best 4th choice or even 5th as we saw on Saturday) or we come up with some sort of compromise that will allow him to move on.

A very tricky one.

One of the biggest disappointments about Brophy other than his lack of goals was that he was offered a 3 year deal and was seen as a sellable asset off the back of his International recognition a year or two before signing for us. It now looks like we would reluctantly imo to save a wage, would let him move on to someone that is willing to pick up his wage on a free.

21 minutes ago, Div said:

Agree with this. Gogic and O'Hara in centre midfield with Kiltie on at a later stage to bring a bit more of an attacking threat later in the game if needed.

I can see Flynn starting and not risking Strain if he's only just started training.  Celtic on Weds may also be too soon to risk a key player. 

3 hours ago, Div said:

A very tricky one.

Robertson sees training but that game v Hearts was crying out for Brophy to come on for Greive as a more like for like replacement. 

I get you want to give Toyosi minutes, but I didn't see that Hearts game as one. Indeed we're saying loaning him to the Championship might be a good call to get him minutes. Brophy did well against Livi and started the previous game before having to be hooked when Erhahon went off too- surely he should have been the right replacement.  

I get that we have Main, Greive and Ayunga who haven't done badly but Brophy, if he's now fit, is worthy of a shot to earn a place and still has enough to trouble defences. If we're paying him a wedge we may as well use him. 

Brophy's a funny one. He's definitely good enough to play for St Mirren l, had it not been for injuries he'd have played (and scored) a fair amount more.

He looked good against Livingston, his introduction got us back in the game and he probably should've won it for us. He then starts against Kilmarnock, where I was expecting a good shift and hopefully a goal. That would've surely seen him keep his place in the team but Erhahon's red card ended that hope. Now it looks like he's been bombed out. 

I would be annoyed about Toyosi getting a game ahead of me, and I’m fat and in my 50’s. 
His inability to control a ball after several attempts led directly to the incident that Fraser was sent off for.
I can only assume bringing him on on Saturday was to send a message to Brophy, who is far from great but should not be our 4th/5th choice striker.